Envisioning a meaningful collection (Nomos, Rolex, Omega, Oris)
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Envisioning a meaningful collection (Nomos, Rolex, Omega, Oris)

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

On my 30th birthday and following the birth of my son my wife gave me the gift of any Rolex I wanted. I had been a collector of mid-range pieces but she wanted me to get my first luxury piece. The watch would be a marker for a big year: turning 30, big promotion, and our son was born despite many doctors telling us we would never be able to have kiddos. I had a nice 116710LN picked out, but then we got the opportunity to go overseas for four years. Since we aren’t in the best place to be wearing a Rolex I decided to wait until we got back to purchase. The wait will be over in about 18 months and I am gaming out what I want to buy. This thread is to share with you my thoughts on what watch/watches to buy and see what everyone else would suggest I do.

I have since decided that I a 116710 is not for me—wears too late and flashy. Here are my criteria:

— I prefer sizes between 37 and 40mm that don’t wear terribly thick.

— I want my watches to be beautifully designed that tell a story and have some meaning. Nothing overly flashy or screams “Rolex”.

— I wear a suit most days and I would like my best watch to be my everyday suit watch.

— I have about 5-6k to spend

— I really love Nomos, Rolex, Sinn, and Oris as brands. But I really like well-produced micros as well.

— I would love for my watches to have some significance for the story of my son and the story of my late father who got me into watches (more below).

— I have liquidated all my collection except for my Hamilton Intra-matic. I will never sell this watch because it has weirdly been on my wrist during some key life moments.

— I prefer to buy pre-owned as a way to save money.

— ideally I would like to have the Hamilton, my everyday watch for my suit, and either one or two fun sportier watches that could pass with a suit/blazer and have decent water resistance.

Here are a few potential collections and my reasoning for the selections.

This is my leader right now: Nomos Metro Gangreserve, Oris 65 Movember, and Monta Triumph. I love the idea of having my go-to watch as a Nomos because this will be the watch my son will say is “dad’s watch.” Nomos’ Bauhaus style is exactly my style and being a family brand that provides great finishing for a great value speaks to everything I love about watches and small companies in general. The Oris 65 hits a sweetspot because my dad graduated from college in 1965 (the first of our family) and he is the person who got me into watches. He also would have loved this watch (and probably hated the original). He at one time had an Oris watch as well. The Monta Triumph fits because it is a GADA watch in the vein of my all-time favorite watch—the 214270–but it has a date which I really love. I also think Justin at Monta is a good dude, and it would be cool to have a micro in the collection.

Option two drops the Monta and Oris and adds a Omega First Omega in Space and a cheap seiko beater (SKX modded). I love the FOIS and it would be a great watch to symbolize the birth of my son—something people said could never happen, but it did. I could still have my nomos, but my most expensive watch would be my Friday/weekend Omega. I also don’t like that the high-end sport watch would not be very water resistant, fairly thick, and no date. However, no date on the weekend is ok and there is jut something about a speedy.

Rolex. I have been going back and forth on this. Rolex is “the” watch to mark special occasions. Also, it tells a cool story because my father had a Rolex back in the 70s that he was forced to sell when he was in a pretty bad way. He sold that watch to move to Texas where he met my mom and turned his life around. In one sense I would like to rebuy a Rolex to square things with the universe, but part of me thinks “I wouldn’t exist if my dad didn’t get rid of this thing” so maybe I don’t need to go backwards. Depends on how you read it. Anyway, these ideas would make me primarily a one watch guy—an idea I love. However, the 214270 has no date and I didn’t enjoy wearing my no date Max Bill because I rely on the date at work. The 16570 is another love, but may not be dressy enough for my day-to-day in a suit. I still love the romanticism of being largely a one watch guy.

Here are some other options. The Nomos Weltzeit May be my favorite watch even over the Explorer—but the long lug to lug measurement and no date may ruin it as my day-to-day watch. I also love the idea of a vintage 1601 DJ (the watch my dad pawned off). Sinn makes some great stuff but not sure if a 356 will work with its thickness. I also have had a 104 and loved it, but it wore a bit big and I don’t like the day feature particularly.

I would love the idea of a GMT or a world timer because I work in an international field, and it would be a useful complication as well as something indicative of my profession. However, nothing has jumped out at me and worldtimers being wrong for 6 months a year due to DST is a deterrent.

So there’s where I am. This is more to help my own thinking but I would love to hear people’s opinions. The stories watches tell are very important to me and I hope my son values these watches as a way to remember me when I am long gone. Even though he will be wearing an Apple Watch 22 by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Puckbw11; February 17th, 2018 at 19:44.

Banned
    Wow you have definitely put in some time and effort. I would personally go with either the explorer or explorer ii options. So the Hamilton and Seiko are good locks. Seiko is ultimate "beater" watch then Hamilton is a perfect dress watch! Now back to the Rolex... From the sounds of it you would regret not getting a date version always start with a date version Rolex in my own experience... I currently have that same explorer ii 16570 polar and it goes with a suit down to holed up dirty jeans on a Saturday after cutting the grass all day! I think you can't go wrong with any of your choices you have put tons of work in! Good luck!

Re: Envisioning a meaningful collection (Nomos, Rolex, Omega, Oris)

I know that you have mentioned that you prefer between 37mm and 40mm, but if you would consider a 36mm, I would definitely recommend:

oztech, briang583, MassiF and 2 others like this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    I know that you have mentioned that you prefer between 37mm and 40mm, but if you would consider a 36mm, I would definitely recommend:

Love this one! I don’t mind 36mm in Rolex. No date hurts because this would be around 3.5k used whereas the FOIS would be about 3k used. If I dropped the Seiko I could have this and a Nomos Metro for about 6k total. However, this makes my Rolex my expensive watch I wear less than my work dress watch. I think that makes this a no-go, but an excellent suggestion. Also, you have the best collection of anyone on this board. A masterpiece. I like having a date at 6 and have thought about focusing a collection around only watches with this feature (like your no date collection).

Last edited by Puckbw11; February 9th, 2018 at 03:10.
    dantan likes this.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

Let me re-think, based on your fondness of having a date feature at the 6 o'clock position.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Quote Originally Posted by dantan View Post
    Thank you very much for the kind words!

Let me re-think, based on your fondness of having a date feature at the 6 o'clock position.
    My first option does that. I also thought Omega Globemaster—but at 4K used that would eat most of my budget.

dantan and trhall like this.

Out of those choices I would pick either the Speedy + Nomos + Hamilton + SKX / JLC + Hamilton + SKX.

I'm not a Rolex fan and the Speedy + Nomos gets you a watch that's iconic and probably going to be even more iconic considering the space race might be back on for your sons generation, and the Nomos gets you something you like. The JLC meanwhile gets you a JLC, which IMO is just that much more special than a Rolex, while it's not the model I like, I can see why some people love it. Plus, you can wear it with a suit and on the weekends, perfect.
    Puckbw11, timseren and breigue like this.

Banned

You seem to be floating around the area of my collection, which is a Speedmaster FOIS, Railmaster, Intra-matic, and a Khaki Mechanical.
    Puckbw11 likes this.

On the dress watch and your fondness for date at 6 try on a Montblanc Heritage Chronometer it will surprise you with both looks and bang for the buck.
    Zenith also has a new blue dialed chrono that is eye candy.
    Puckbw11 likes this.

Don't let the lack of date complication keep you from the speedy...use the center chrono hand to point to the minute hash that corresponds to the day's date.
    Puckbw11, Xspect and trhall like this.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information