The essential watch in every collection
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The essential watch in every collection

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The essential watch in every collection

In your opinion, what would be the one/two essential watches that every serious watch collector should own? I mean brand/model, not type.

Also, I realize that just b/c a watch is iconic or whatever doesnt mean one can afford to own it or has the desire to own it - let's leave personal preferences aside on whether you actually would choose to own that watch or not, and try to make it a little more general.

And in the interest of not getting bogged down in semantics, feel free to define the various terms in this question (such as "essential". "serious", "collector", "one", etc) as per your own interpretation

Mine would be:
    - A Seiko diver (007/009/Orange Monster) -- I own this precisely for this reason
    - Rolex Submariner -- I dont think i will own one yet (not until i get other pieces i like more) but this is possibly THE most iconic watches
    - Omega Speedmaster -- I dont plan to own one but as chronos go, this is the benchmark

Yours?
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Re: The essential watch in every collection

Many for me. One or two? Reverso and Royal Oak to start . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Not my cup of tea, but Movado certainly has an "iconic" style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Has to be the Speedmaster/Submariner on level pegging depending on one's preferences. Both are glorious, iconic and most importantly fine timepieces.
    Ω Omega Seamaster NOS Soccer Timer 145.019
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue 79220B
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer
    WAN2111.BA0822
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage OVM Military Maxi LE #274/300
    Seiko Prospex Monster SRP581

The Hit-List: Omega Ploprof 1200m, JLC Reverso, Breguet La Tradition, IWC Aquatimer, Rolex 'Hulk' Sub, TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Because there are clearly a huge number of iconic models out there, I don't think there is one watch that *should* be in every collection.
    dbostedo likes this.

Definitely agree about Seiko Diver. Cheap, robust and amazing value - you could wear this every day as a beater. Also, whilst inexpensive it is still relatively uncommon enough that you have to go out of your way to get one.

Rolex sub is certainly iconic as is the Speedy. To me, if you are going to have only one diver in your collection it would be the Seiko over the Sub because you are more likely to wear it in the water and through knocks and scrapes.

I would also throw in a nice all-rounder watch - probably either the Rolex Explorer 1 or Omega Aqua Terra.

Quote Originally Posted by londonflash View Post
    Because there are clearly a huge number of iconic models out there, I don't think there is one watch that *should* be in every collection.
    Sure, my intent wasnt to come up with some universal truism, but just various opinions.

Eg, I am actually more likely to buy a Reverso that drhr mentions above than a Sub, but it didnt make my list b/c IMO, for a lot of people, a dress watch isnt essential and even if there is, there are other credible alternatives to the Reverso. However, i can totally see why the "Reverso" would make the list.
    Last edited by vkalia; January 26th, 2015 at 10:41.
    drhr and slcbbrown like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Agree with the Seiko Diver. It is cheap, robust and represents great value - you could wear it every day even as a beater. Even though it is relatively inexpensive it is still fairly uncommon.

Also agree about the Speedy. The Sub is indeed iconic and I feel I should have one for that reason but if I could only choose one diver in my collection I would choose the Seiko because I am more likely to wear it in the water or where it would get knocked and scuffed.

I would also add an all-rounder type of watch - perhaps the Rolex Explorer 1 or Omega Aqua Terra. Wonderfully versatile pieces that are (or will be in the future) design classics.

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    In your opinion, what would be the one/two essential watches that every serious watch collector should own? I mean brand/model, not type.

Also, I realize that just b/c a watch is iconic or whatever doesnt mean one can afford to own it or has the desire to own it - let's leave personal preferences aside on whether you actually would choose to own that watch or not, and try to make it a little more general.

And in the interest of not getting bogged down in semantics, feel free to define the various terms in this question (such as "essential". "serious", "collector", "one", etc) as per your own interpretation

Mine would be:
    - A Seiko diver (007/009/Orange Monster) -- I own this precisely for this reason
    - Rolex Submariner -- I dont think i will own one yet (not until i get other pieces i like more) but this is possibly THE most iconic watches
    - Omega Speedmaster -- I dont plan to own one but as chronos go, this is the benchmark

Yours?

Hard to argue with those three (even though I don't own any of them). I also don't own a G-Shock, but I'd like to throw that into the mix too.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Rolling eyes Re: The essential watch in every collection

The ESSENTIALS?!

at least ... a pilot, a sub, a jump hour, a microtor, 60s omega, minute repeater, perpetual calendar, tourbillon (dun mind 3-axis), a trench watch with hunter case, an enamel dial watch, exotic watch (with moving parts), plus a mechanical singing bird, maybe an hourglass, and last but not least a sundial..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by kclee; January 26th, 2015 at 11:15.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information