Which ETA 2824-2 is used and an accuracy question...

Thread: Which ETA 2824-2 is used and an accuracy question...

Which ETA 2824-2 is used and an accuracy question...

I thought about posting this in the Hamilton forum but figured it may branch into a more generic direction which would be better suited for the public forum, forgive me if I guessed wrong.

I use the ETA 2824-2 as a direct example as I know it is used in a number of Hamilton pieces but the question may extend to other movements use by Hamilton that I havent looked into.

The 2824-2 comes in three variations:

Standard Grade is adjusted in two positions with an average rate of +/-12 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/-30 seconds/day.

Elaborated Grade is adjusted in three positions with an average rate of +/-7 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/-30 seconds/day.

Top Grade is adjusted in 5 positions with an average rate of +/-4 seconds/day, maximum daily variation of +/-10 seconds/day

...which of the three does Hamilton use for their pieces? If they vary, I guess my specific question would be which is used in the Viewmatic line?

Im having some fun playing with the accuracy of my new piece. It is currently running -4 seconds per day with wearing it 24/7 and Im wondering if I stopped wearing it at night and started resting it in a certain position if I can get it to gain back those 4 seconds and reflect a zero deviation over a 24 hour period.

Side question, do pieces usually speed up or slow down over time? I've read some posts where people have said their watches started off +15 but settled after a couple of weeks to +7 or so... Im hoping that in a couple of weeks my piece doesnt slow further from -4 to something like -20 s/d.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Banned

Re: Which ETA 2824-2 is used and an accuracy question...

Hamilton uses the Elaboré grade.

Honestly, as soon as I posted this I thought, 'I should have just pm'd Dennis.'

Thanks, and seriously, let me know when you write a book, I'll be first in line to buy.

Is there any predictability to a movement slowing or speeding up over time or is it all random depending on wear, use, temp, etc etc etc.?
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishElite22 View Post
    Is there any predictability to a movement slowing or speeding up over time or is it all random depending on wear, use, temp, etc etc etc.?
    Not really, and it doesn't happen the same for each watch of the same model. Nor is there any predictability to if it even happens or not. Of the people who do check accuracy, some have never noticed a change in daily rate for any of their watches from just out of the box to 5 or more years old. Others (me being one) have seen a handful of watches that appeared to have a break-in period, usually around a month's time for it to settle in. As long as the watch is fairly consistent you can get it regulated to be more accurate. I'd rather have a watch that's -11, -12, -11.5, -10.5, -11 over 5 days than one that's +6, -3, +2, -5, 0 over the same span of time because the rate is more stabile on the first example even though the average is better on the second example. Once regulated properly, the watch that was consistently losing around 11 seconds a day will be a more consistent performer.

Thread Information