ETA 2824-A2 movement questions.

Thread: ETA 2824-A2 movement questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question ETA 2824-A2 movement questions.

I've searched around the forum and have not found answers to my questions so I'll ask here. I just got a Marathon GSAR, with the (I think) ETA 2824-A2 movement. I can't wear a watch at work, so it only gets worn around 5 hours a day on my wrist, except for weekends when I wear it almost all day. To compensate for this when I check the accuracy on weekends I usually wind it a few times to keep it from dying. Is this a good practice? If so, how many times should I wind it? Is there a danger or over winding the mechanism? Also, out of curiosity, how long does it have to be worn before it is fully wound, and how long does a full winding last?

Thanks

stuffler,mike

Re: ETA 2824-A2 movement questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
    I've searched around the forum and have not found answers to my questions so I'll ask here. I just got a Marathon GSAR, with the (I think) ETA 2824-A2 movement. I can't wear a watch at work, so it only gets worn around 5 hours a day on my wrist, except for weekends when I wear it almost all day. To compensate for this when I check the accuracy on weekends I usually wind it a few times to keep it from dying. Is this a good practice? If so, how many times should I wind it? Is there a danger or over winding the mechanism? Also, out of curiosity, how long does it have to be worn before it is fully wound, and how long does a full winding last?

Thanks
    You can´t overwind an automatic movement because there´s a clutch to prevent this. Power reserve if fully wounded up should be about 40h. I don´t know how many additional turns your watch needs when the watch is on your wrist for 5h per day. Maybe a watch winder could solve your daily problem

hi...I'm not a watch maker / jeweler.... I do own a Swiss made diver...It is powered by the ETA 2824.2 movement.....I saw your questions,and I do know that I can pass along to you,what info I have that came from my watch maker with my new watch...I will also say that I am new to this auto movement,swiss watch myself.
    I'm certainly not an expert at all..
    I can as I stated pass along to you the info that came with my watch.

As far as the movement and keeping it wound..
    They said that with a Auto movement (self winding),that wearing it daily with just the wrist movement,would not ever acomplish,a full winding...I suppose a (full winding ) isn't really needed,just so long as it's enough to keep the watch running..
    With the watch being worn everyday (all day) untill sleep time of course,they recomended to at least once a week do a manual winding,(more often if you desire)
    to include daily.
    They recomended 25 to 30 turns of the stem...I can only roll the stem halfway around,with my thumb and fore finger as most people would do.So I figure double that,if you want to make it a complete turn of the stem.
    About every other day,I do about 20 quick back and forth winding motions.
    Mine has never stopped running with this amount of attention.
    I have however only owned this watch for a few weeks myself....
    The winding stem only winds in one direction,holding the watch in the left hand,and winding with the thumb,and fore finger of the right hand,the winding motion occurs as the stem is turned clockwise.Or when it is turned from the 6 position up towards the 12 position,the rolling back to the 6 position,is a neutral movement.Maybe some of this will help.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been looking into this matter too, for much the same reasons...my Glycine Incursore doesn't always get a full day's wear. I give the stem a dozen turns in the morning, with no ill effects.

Is it normal to hear a responding 'tick-tick' when winding the 2824 movement more than a few turns? Does this mean it's fully wound?
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    Stauer Day/Date/Month Auto
    Glycine Incursore 100M Auto
    O&W Ocean Master Vintage handwinder
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Hamilton Khaki Officer 44mm Unitas w/custom hands and lume
    Volmax Aviator 45mm handwinder
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand
    A +40mm Seiko Alpinist, if Seiko ever decides to make one...

My wrist size - 8"/20.3cm

Dhrama .......and Token.... Firstly both of you go check out the link below.It'll give ya a lot of insite into the workings and questions....
    Token....about the clicking.... Yes....the clicking you hear probably is the clutch slipping,so you don't over wind the watch....You'll read about this at the link below.
    Dhrama....You also need to read the text on the link below....
    One more word for you,due to it sounding as if you do not have access to,any type of an owners manual,for the general operation of your watch.
    I want to point out two things,that you may need to be aware of.I assume you have a autowind watch via wrist motion....I also assume,you have at least one of the two....either a date window....or you may have both a Day and date...
    In either case... there are two points you need to observe..
    One... setting the time...do not move the hands backwards across the midnite (12oclock midnite position)...This could damage the movement....
    Two...when setting the Day / Date.. Try to do this at a time when the hour hand is NOT between 9 PM and 3AM... This could damage the movement.....
    As your watch nears midnite,at some point,it will lock onto the Date / Day wheel in preparation to advance it forward at midnite...
    At that point you do not want to then,start to reset the Day / Date,you'll be taking it away from the movement mech that has it in it's grasp.This could really do damage.
    I mention these two things,because they are not in the text post that I refered to below........
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...oto=2191&rid=2

NEG

Quote Originally Posted by Token
    Is it normal to hear a responding 'tick-tick' when winding the 2824 movement more than a few turns? Does this mean it's fully wound?
    Yes, the clutch talked about is the mainspring slipping against the barrel wall, the clicks are caused by the indents in the wall.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by hamx15 View Post
    Dhrama .......and Token.... Firstly both of you go check out the link below.It'll give ya a lot of insite into the workings and questions....
    Token....about the clicking.... Yes....the clicking you hear probably is the clutch slipping,so you don't over wind the watch....You'll read about this at the link below.
    Dhrama....You also need to read the text on the link below....
    One more word for you,due to it sounding as if you do not have access to,any type of an owners manual,for the general operation of your watch.
    I want to point out two things,that you may need to be aware of.I assume you have a autowind watch via wrist motion....I also assume,you have at least one of the two....either a date window....or you may have both a Day and date...
    In either case... there are two points you need to observe..
    One... setting the time...do not move the hands backwards across the midnite (12oclock midnite position)...This could damage the movement....
    Two...when setting the Day / Date.. Try to do this at a time when the hour hand is NOT between 9 PM and 3AM... This could damage the movement.....
    As your watch nears midnite,at some point,it will lock [no it does not lock] onto the Date / Day wheel in preparation to advance it forward at midnite...
    At that point you do not want to then,start to reset the Day / Date,you'll be taking it away from the movement mech that has it in it's grasp.This could really do damage.
    I mention these two things,because they are not in the text post that I refered to below........
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...oto=2191&rid=2
    You will not damage the ETA 2824-2 movement by rotating the movement backwards through midnight. The "tooth" that advances the date wheel is spring-loaded so it will not damage anything. In fact with many older movements backing the hands through midnight to about eight is the reccommended way to quick set the date. The worst that can happen is the date backs-up as well.

And, with an ETA 2824-2 you will not permanently damage the movement by attempting to set the date between 8pm and 1am. The date wheel will just hang-up and refuse to move; to correct this, advance the watch hands through 1am and allow the date wheel to change, then the date can be set, followed by the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    You will not damage the ETA 2824-2 movement by rotating the movement backwards through midnight. The "tooth" that advances the date wheel is spring-loaded so it will not damage anything. In fact with many older movements backing the hands through midnight to about eight is the reccommended way to quick set the date. The worst that can happen is the date backs-up as well.

And, with an ETA 2824-2 you will not permanently damage the movement by attempting to set the date between 8pm and 1am. The date wheel will just hang-up and refuse to move; to correct this, advance the watch hands through 1am and allow the date wheel to change, then the date can be set, followed by the time.
    Are you saying that it is good to wind the the crown CCW to redistribute the lubricant (oils) inside the keyless works?
    Thanx

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRAROB View Post
    Are you saying that it is good to wind the the crown CCW to redistribute the lubricant (oils) inside the keyless works?
    Thanx
    Chances are you are going to make only a few revolutions of the hands setting the time, this isn't going to redistribute oils or grease, or cause appreciable wear on the parts. The fact is the newer designs, such as the 2824, are idiot-proofed so it is hard to damage the movement through operator error, although you can do it if you really try hard.

Some movements (like the 7750) it is possible to damage the date and day wheels by attempting to use the day/date quickset feature during the 8pm to 2 am period.

Most movements that do not have the quickset feature (such as the ETA 2522, Heur 12 or AS 1903,) you have to move the hands backward through midnight to change the date, which is definitely less work (and wear and tear) than running through several days in the clock-wise direction.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Most movements that do not have the quickset feature (such as the ETA 2522, Heur 12 or AS 1903,) you have to move the hands backward through midnight to change the date, which is definitely less work (and wear and tear) than running through several days in the clock-wise direction.
    The Poljot 3133 is another example.........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information