ETA-2824 broken

Thread: ETA-2824 broken

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Banned

ETA-2824 broken

After about 6 month my Traser Classic got broken. When I wind it manually, rotor starts spinning, until probably spring has enough power to spin it.

I wear it for few months initially, but then bought another watches, but continue to keep it running, winding by hands. It is mentioned in instruction as a valid way to charge spring. First I noticed that it is harder to wind the crown and then this rotor spinning happen.

I sent it to warranty, but from seller I heart that they do not recommend to wind it manually, because some flow in design(!). Now I am start worrying about my other ETAs - I wear one but wind manually another and so afraid that same things may happen because it is not suited for manual windings!

Is it correct that this movements should not be winded manually and thst this makes them broken in few months? Do anybody have same problem?

Re: ETA-2824 broken

I've been wearing all types of automatic and manual watches since 1970. Each morning, I manually wind the watch about 40-60 turns. Never had a problem with a single watch and never had a stripped crown either. Based on my experience, if "they" didn't want you to manually wind it, then they should have disabled the winding function. So I would say there was some type of problem with your watch, but unless you overwound it or something else happened, it's not your fault.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    I've been wearing all types of automatic and manual watches since 1970. Each morning, I manually wind the watch about 40-60 turns. Never had a problem with a single watch and never had a stripped crown either. Based on my experience, if "they" didn't want you to manually wind it, then they should have disabled the winding function. So I would say there was some type of problem with your watch, but unless you overwound it or something else happened, it's not your fault.
    This is what my thoughts to. As well I know that whatever sale person saying can not be trusted and need verification.

Do you have any ETA-2824 in your collection?

On other forum I was told that it may be because they stay too long in stock and so oil gets thicker or may be it was exposed to high temperature - in this case we have bit over 100F this summer. However it is hard to believe that Swiss watch can not operate in California.
    Last edited by nozh2002; November 30th, 2010 at 20:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it was mentioned in another thread that the winding mechanism in the ETA2824 uses alloys that are less strong where it counts than more expensive ones. It was estimated that one shouldn't go much past 500 full winds. (Other movements like the 7750 don't have this weakness.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    it was mentioned in another thread that the winding mechanism in the ETA2824 uses alloys that are less strong where it counts than more expensive ones. It was estimated that one shouldn't go much past 500 full winds. (Other movements like the 7750 don't have this weakness.)
    Really? They should take it out of the market then IMHO. Pay average over $500 for watch which last only 500 winds?

What is wind? Full charge of full circle spin of crown. For 4 months I may have 120 or something charges spinning it over 20 times each.
    Last edited by nozh2002; November 30th, 2010 at 22:15.

Wind sloowly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Wind sloowly.
    I did, but is it like quality watch about $500 suppose to be?

Quote Originally Posted by nozh2002 View Post
    Really? They should take it out of the market then IMHO. Pay average over $500 for watch which last only 500 winds?

What is wind? Full charge of full circle spin of crown. For 4 months I may have 120 or something charges spinning it over 20 times each.
    first, keep in mind 500 full winds would be nearly two years of winding 60-80 half turns a day. I don't applaud, if true, that ETA cheaps out on a lesser alloy that reflects the likely maximum number of full handwinds 97% of users will actually use. After all, this is an automatic watch, and ETA's profile of 97% of their customers, say they won't be winding it that much. Of course that ignores WIS who have many watches and may need to handwind an automatic more than your average guy. (Keep in mind all this is predicated on very slim evidence and statistics concerning the longevity of ETA auto handwinding, but sometimes that's all we got.) Two facts stuck with me from the earlier thread: the ETA 2824 may need to be handled a little carefully, and is probably not a watch you want to wind every day. I've changed my habits with my 2824: I let my wrist wind the watch, it's not a big deal. The other potential fact that came out was that you can handwind the Valjoux 775x auto movement as much as want. And we don't yet know (haven't heard/read) about other movements, including the ETA 2892.

It bothers me that ETA, again if true, cheaps out maybe pennies per movement, and it doesn't take care of its most vocal and passionate customers, who probably handwind their watch more than usual.

Banned

This is hopefull it should be 6 years for me.

If this is two years of 60-80 half turns a day, then this is not my case , because I did 20 (tested that this is enough, if 15 - then they stop before 24-30 hours pass).

I have parallel thread on Russian forum and one of the guy there Andrei Babanin who get used to work in Ronda Time Center in Mendrissio canton Tichino, Switzeland sad
    that on his opinion revers wills need to be blown with air and oil should be changed. He sad most likely this movement pass regular maintenance, because it wait
    in stock before Traser bought it, then inside watch before I bought it and so oil get thicker (they do not oil it during watch assembly).

This is hopeful because this mean that I can wind it if I do regular maintenance as well as other ETAs I have.

I don't know of any limit to the amount of handwinding a 2824-2 can handle. The issue you speak about, that the rotor is spinning with the handwinding, is the result of a worn or underlubricated component (lysanderxii here would know the answer). Any watchsmith could repair it for you, as its a very common issue with unserviced movements.
    Lots of dive watches.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information