WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

ETA 2892-A2 Chronometer grade

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Henry Krinkle 
#1 ·
I tried in the watchmaking forum, but no luck, so perhaps here someone will know.

How can one recognize a chronometer grade ETA 2892? Is the serial number on the movement a sure sign? Or are there also some non-chronometer grade movements with serial numbers?

#3 · (Edited)
Well, that is not true. Chronometer grade movement must have a factory serial number, because without a serial number COSC will not test it. Serial number however does not mean a movement was actually tested, or that it passed the test.

What I don't know is if there are also some top and elabore grade movements with serial numbers.
From Wikipedia:
Chronometer grade movements are serial numbered, as that is a requirement of the certification authority.

#7 · (Edited)
A chronometer grade movement and a COSC certified movement are not necessarily the same thing.

One can theoretically buy a chronometer grade movement that has not been tested by COSC. It will not have a serial number on it and the watchmaker cannot claim that the watch is a Chronometer. They can however claim that it is a chronometer grade movement.

A chronometer grade movement is a movement that has been built to the specifications the manufacturer has decided. When ETA sold movements to third parties it was possible to buy these without COSC certification and they do not have serial numbers. I currently own at lest one such watch and have owned at least one more. There are numerous watches that were available with chronometer grade movements.
As a side note, all my actual chronometers have COSC certificates as well as serial numbers on the movements. I recently even had a 14 year old COSC movement changed out for another by the manufacturer and got a COSC certificate with that plus, documents showing the old movement number being swapped out for the new one by the manufacturer.

#4 ·
My understanding is that if ETA sells it as chronometer-grade, it has been so certified by COSC, and that requires a serial number. I do not know if ETA serialized their top-grade movements, and that may be a matter of the watch company. I have lots of top-grade 2892 movements, but without display backs, so I can't check.

Except for possibly the serial number (which I know is what you were asking about), there are no other visual differences. Absent special watch-company requirements, top and chronometer grades are equipped with the same parts and receive basically the same adjustments.

Rick "what's the situation?" Denney

#5 ·
I don't think ETA sells them with COSC certificates. AFAIK watch manufacturers submit purchased movements for certification, not ETA. There are reports on how many watches are certified by individual brands, which I think means brands are submitting movements for certification, not ETA.

Anyway, situation is that I got some 2892 movements with serial numbers (but without any papers) and would like to know, just out of curiosity, if they are indeed chronometer grade. They do perform flawlessly on the timegrapher.

#6 ·
ETA may submit them on behalf of companies and at their expense, but they are tested without rotors and as bare movements with plastic crowns.

It was probably true at one time that being chronometer-grade just meant having the right parts, and adjustment, regulation and testing was done by the watch company. I suspect that ended when ETA stopped selling ebauches. I don't know. But if I bought a chronometer-grade movement and it failed COSC testing, I'd be sending it back to ETA.

I only have one COSC certificate for a watch with a supplied movement, though it is from the late 90's, but now I'm curious as to how it describes the movement other than by number.

Rick "noting that companies are not required to provide certificates for certified watches" Denney

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.