ETA 2892.A2 Grades....
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ETA 2892.A2 Grades....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ETA 2892.A2 Grades....

Is their a meaningful difference between the ETA 2892.A2 Standard, Elabore, Top grades or is it a theoretical difference with no meaningful real world consequences?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: ETA 2892.A2 Grades....

I suppose that depends on whether you think being timed to have lower positional variation, lower daily rate error is meaningful in the real world.....

Oh, and the 2892A2 does not come in Standard Grade.
    lvt likes this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Isn't that much more an issue of proper adjustment?

Are the very few and very limited component differences that consequential in the real world?

Any repair 'people' care to comment as well?
    Last edited by Jimr; May 30th, 2012 at 13:57.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr View Post
    Isn't that much more an issue of proper adjustment?

There are also some different materials used for different grades.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

That appears to be the only difference and even then only in one component.
    Still do not know if any of this has any real world consequences of note.

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    There are also some different materials used for different grades.

Banned

ETA 2892 comes in different grades of quality of Elabore, Top, Chronometer. The differences in grades can range from quality of materials used, to the level of testing and regulation.

I know..Thank you...
    The question remains...

If they are all well regulated (after purchase) and their appears to be only one component that uses a different material...

Does any of this translate into real world (not theoretical) differences ...durability etc...or are the differences so minor that in the real world a well regulated Top behaves just like a well regulated Elabore 2892.A2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by keegemit View Post
    ETA 2892 comes in different grades of quality of Elabore, Top, Chronometer. The differences in grades can range from quality of materials used, to the level of testing and regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr View Post
    I know..Thank you...
    The question remains...

If they are all well regulated (after purchase) and their appears to be only one component that uses a different material...

Does any of this translate into real world (not theoretical) differences ...durability etc...or are the differences so minor that in the real world a well regulated Top behaves just like a well regulated Elabore 2892.A2 ?
    More than one component is different between the eblabore and top/chonometer grades. The balance wheel is different, as is the balance spring material, and the type of regulator.

Regarding real world differences, having the better components increases the chances that the watch will time very well. There are certainly lower grades that can be adjusted (not regulated) to perform better, but the chances of getting good results is increased with the better balance wheel and spring.

I service a lot of 2892A2 based watches from many brands, and most are top/chronometer grades. I actually don't see many that are elabore grade, but those I have serviced with that grade have had more positional variation than the top/chronometer grades do. I see more ETA 2824-2's cross my bench with the lower grades, and indeed there is a significant difference between the results with a typical 2824 standard or elabore, and one that is a chronometer.

Cheers, Al
    Krish47 likes this.

Any notable reliability differences among 2892.A2 ?

Banned

Thanks Al for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    More than one component is different between the eblabore and top/chonometer grades. The balance wheel is different, as is the balance spring material, and the type of regulator.

Regarding real world differences, having the better components increases the chances that the watch will time very well. There are certainly lower grades that can be adjusted (not regulated) to perform better, but the chances of getting good results is increased with the better balance wheel and spring.

I service a lot of 2892A2 based watches from many brands, and most are top/chronometer grades. I actually don't see many that are elabore grade, but those I have serviced with that grade have had more positional variation than the top/chronometer grades do. I see more ETA 2824-2's cross my bench with the lower grades, and indeed there is a significant difference between the results with a typical 2824 standard or elabore, and one that is a chronometer.

Cheers, Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information