ETA life?
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: ETA life?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

ETA life?

Looking around at vintage watches you see Omegas that have been around since the 50s and still keep amazingly accurate time. I was wondering, could an ETA watch also last as long with regular servicing? Are all movements similarly durable and will last "forever" as long as proper care is taken?
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic
    Orient Goldeneye
    Seiko OM
    Citizen Perpetual A-T
    Bulova Precisionist Claremont
    Laco Munster
    C60 Charcoal Bezel

Re: ETA life?

I don't see why not. Maybe not with cheaper movements with plastic components though.
    -JP

Are the ETAs as easy to fix as some of the Omega 564 movements?
    Orient Goldeneye
    Seiko OM
    Citizen Perpetual A-T
    Laco Munster
    C60 Charcoal Bezel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's probably easier in the sense etas are abundant and parts are very accessible and with so many brands using them I'm sure the accessibility will be fairly long term.
    -JP

ETA movements are very robust, and their ubiquity ensures maintenance will be easy forever.
    tony20009 likes this.

My great-grandfather's pocket watch has been going continuously since at least 1918 with regular service intervals. Many pocket watches from A.L. Breguet are still going strong. As long as there is someone alive who knows how to service and repair them when necessary, mechanical movements will last indefinitely.
    Last edited by TimeWizard; January 31st, 2014 at 10:06.
    Watchbreath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by holyk View Post
    Are the ETAs as easy to fix as some of the Omega 564 movements?
    Are you kidding? The 564/565 have a quick set push pull date advance that are often times malfunctioning or corroded after 40 years(at least my beautiful Omega Geneve Dynamic was when my Dad gave me his!) My watchmaker told me he could of fixed 2 Rolexes in the time it took him to rebuild my 565. Having said that, the 564/565's are wonderful movements, extremely accurate(I've been wearing mine the last 10 days and its 6 seconds slow on my wrist during that time.) The 19,800 bph movement makes a great noise as well.

So I'm confused as to why ETA watches get so much flak and derision even though the movements are robust, easily fixable, and highly accurate when adjusted? I thought those would be qualities one would want in a watch movement.
    Orient Goldeneye
    Seiko OM
    Citizen Perpetual A-T
    Laco Munster
    C60 Charcoal Bezel

So I'm confused as to why ETA watches get so much flak and derision even though the movements are robust, easily fixable, and highly accurate when adjusted? I thought those would be qualities one would want in a watch movement.
    That's a good point and I'm waiting for the replies with bated breath. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with watch snobbism...

Sent from my Tegra Note 7
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

I don't think it's ETA but brands that use stock/slightly modified ETA movenets while charging exorbitant prices that get much flak. Some feel that it's easier to justify prices certain brands are charging if they actually develop their own movements.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information