ETA questions.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ETA questions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ETA questions.

Hey folks. I'm sure this has been discussed but I am too lazy to dig deeper.

Regarding ETA automatic movements: Are they all assembled in Switzerland? I know they have used parts outside of Swiss made, but are they all assembled, at least, in Switzerland?

Regarding their Quartz movements, are they all assembled in Switzerland as well or have they resorted to going outside of Switzerland? Do they also use parts from outside?

Re: ETA questions.

I havent done a ton of research on ETA but of that I have done I have seen nothing to say they make their movements anywhere other than Switzerland.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ovrthtop34 View Post

Regarding ETA automatic movements: Are they all assembled in Switzerland? I know they have used parts outside of Swiss made, but are they all assembled, at least, in Switzerland?

Regarding their Quartz movements, are they all assembled in Switzerland as well or have they resorted to going outside of Switzerland? Do they also use parts from outside?

You want to know something about swiss made ETA but your are too lazy to dig deeper ? For some time I thought I am too lazy to answer. Of course we already dealt with your question.

Some information

ETA own factories outside CH as we all know (ETA Uhrwerke GmbH Pforzheim, Beijing, Macao (Lanco, Endura, no swiss label though), Bangkok (Samut Prakan), Ipoh/Malaysia to name some). 90% of the quartz movements are made in different grades, Elegance (best of the best), Flatline, Normflatline, Normflatline Standard, Ecoline.
    Ecoline is the most economic quartz movement, nobody will repair an Ecoline movement - it will just be replaced. The very basic movement only has one screw. Ecoline and Normline are available in a swiss parts execution. These are assembled in Malaysia and Thailand.
    In the Elegance range you will find only 4 sizes, the most flat movement just measures 0,98mm in height (+ day wheel = 1,5mm).

Mechanical ETA movements are only available as swiss made (Mecaline). What swiss made is about: www.fhs.ch .
    The mechanical lines are not produced outside CH but in Grenchen, Fontainemelon, Gorgémont, Bettlach, Fontaines, Dombresson, Saint-Imier, Moutier, Les Bioux, Sion. Chronograph movements are being made in Les Bioux which is the ETA factory no. 24.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mike,

That is a great, concise answer. It should be a sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by ovrthtop34 View Post

Please hoist yourself out of that overstuffed easychair and amble on over to the computer. Try the search engine on on WUS and google and you will find plenty of information. Once you are settled back into that easy chair then ruminate on the importance of knowing where parts are made and/or assembled into movements and what that information tells you about the quality of watches.

On another note, is proper pronunciation the letters E T A or spelled out like "ettah"? Ive heard both, but ETA as separate letters makes more sense to me since they are capitalized...thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ESmooth View Post
    On another note, is proper pronunciation the letters E T A or spelled out like "ettah"? Ive heard both, but ETA as separate letters makes more sense to me since they are capitalized...thoughts?
    I've always pronounced it Etta like Etta James.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I've always pronounced it Etta like Etta James.
    Hmm. I've always done the opposite, pronouncing each letter individually. Perhaps someone that works for Swatch Group can straighten out the issue?
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Banned

If a forumer that works for ETA speaks up, he will be PM'd to death.

Maybe a WUS Frenchie can tell us ow it is pronounced?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Mechanical ETA movements are only available as swiss made (Mecaline). What swiss made is about: www.fhs.ch .
    The mechanical lines are not produced outside CH but in Grenchen, Fontainemelon, Gorgémont, Bettlach, Fontaines, Dombresson, Saint-Imier, Moutier, Les Bioux, Sion. Chronograph movements are being made in Les Bioux which is the ETA factory no. 24.
    Great summary Mike. I thought that the gilded movements, like the 2824-2 used in Invictas, etc, were actually assembled in an Asian facility... no?

To other's questions, it's pronounced like "etah", as it's an off-shoot of "Eterna". See here: http://www.chronometrie.com/watchsou...soundspage.htm
    Last edited by SolitarySoul; January 4th, 2011 at 23:42.
    "Yeah, that's a nice watch, but, um, where's the Helium Escape Valve?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information