ETA vs In House products - Any thoughts?

Thread: ETA vs In House products - Any thoughts?

ETA vs In House products - Any thoughts?

My wife and I were having a conversation about watches and she asked me a good question. I'll pose it here to see if anyone has an estimation.

What percentage of mechanical watches (not including Asian) use ETA movements vs "in house" movements....?

What percentage of these companies modify ETA movements (or have them modified) other than putting a name on the works.

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: ETA vs In House products - Any thoughts?

BIG percentage!

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berghold View Post
    My wife and I were having a conversation about watches and she asked me a good question. I'll pose it here to see if anyone has an estimation.

What percentage of mechanical watches (not including Asian) use ETA movements vs "in house" movements....?

What percentage of these companies modify ETA movements (or have them modified) other than putting a name on the works.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Let me know if you'll ever find out. ETA is a real big player and belongs to the Swatch Group, where in-house movements are available as well as standard ETA.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

vandice

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berghold View Post

Thanks,
    Dave
    Well, does this include Russian contributions? They're not Asian.

There must be at least 100 Swiss brands out there, not to mention the Germans and French.

Offhand, if we are talking about watches that the ordinary person person can afford, (i.e. not more exp. than a Rolex), then all of them use stock or slightly modified (e.g. an engraved rotor, micro-regulator) ETA supplied movements in many or all their models with the exception of the following:

Longines, Omega, Rolex, Nomos, Zenith, Lauzieres (I think they use French movements)

Of course we do not include the independents like Daniel Roth, Franck Muller, Richard Mille etc or the ultra-premiums like AP, JLC, GO, Breguet because of their relatively low volume and high prices. In that stratospheric atmosphere, you EXPECT something original and non-ETA doncha?

Mebbe we can qualify most watch brands as parts assemblers rather than true watchmakers.

I figure the % of non-ETA powered brands (excluding the Russians) is perhaps in the 5-15% range.

Feel free to add to the list.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by vandice View Post
    Well, does this include Russian contributions? They're not Asian.

There must be at least 100 Swiss brands out there, not to mention the Germans and French.

Offhand, if we are talking about watches that the ordinary person person can afford, (i.e. not more exp. than a Rolex), then all of them use stock or slightly modified (e.g. an engraved rotor, micro-regulator) ETA supplied movements in many or all their models with the exception of the following:

Longines, Omega, Rolex, Nomos, Zenith, Lauzieres (I think they use French movements)

Of course we do not include the independents like Daniel Roth, Franck Muller, Richard Mille etc or the ultra-premiums like AP, JLC, GO, Breguet because of their relatively low volume and high prices. In that stratospheric atmosphere, you EXPECT something original and non-ETA doncha?

Mebbe we can qualify most watch brands as parts assemblers rather than true watchmakers.

I figure the % of non-ETA powered brands (excluding the Russians) is perhaps in the 5-15% range.

Feel free to add to the list.
    Correction: Longines uses ETA movements (like TAG Heuer does) but they do mention calibers of their own,for example L 691.2 = Base ETA 2892-A2 Nomos basicly was an ETA/Peseux 7001 and is no produced inhouse, still the base is Peseux. If interested search the fora here on WUS to find out more.

vandice

I disagree Mike. If that's the case with Nomos, then the ETA 2824 should be classified as an Eterna movement, but manufactured inhouse by ETA. And the Rolex 4130 a Zenith base manufactured inhouse by Rolex.

Anywaz, the new Tangomat is powered by their new Automatic, while the Perseux's a manual wind.

Longines is out of the list I guess.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by vandice View Post
    I disagree Mike. If that's the case with Nomos, then the ETA 2824 should be classified as an Eterna movement, but manufactured inhouse by ETA. And the Rolex 4130 a Zenith base manufactured inhouse by Rolex.

Anywaz, the new Tangomat is powered by their new Automatic, while the Perseux's a manual wind.

Longines is out of the list I guess.
    Another small correction: The Tangomat was developed by Mirko Heyne and the basic movement was...................the Peseux 7001. But I agree that this automatic movement deserves to be judged as "in-house" or "Tangomat". You may read my reports on our German Watches Forum.

Can't beat Mike in getting his facts straight .
    But all of the above is indeed true.

And Eterna is a manufacture again, but I don't know if their new movements are going ta have a place in a so called "affordable" watch.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

vandice

I stand corrected... somewhat.

Thread Information