ETA2824-2 / how much should it gain/loose?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: ETA2824-2 / how much should it gain/loose?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ETA2824-2 / how much should it gain/loose?

I've recently bought a Christopher Ward C60, but it's gained around 5 minutes in less than 3 weeks. Is this within tolerance levels? Seems like too much to me, but not long been into autos so not sure. Any opinions welcome please.

Thanks

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: ETA2824-2 / how much should it gain/loose?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  139.6 KB
    Math is up to you.
    JohnF, Nikoloz and Pallet Spoon like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for your reply, but I've no idea what iscochcronism or positional error is. Am I just looking at the daily rate?
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; January 23rd, 2015 at 00:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I thought "positional error" has to do with accuracy of the watch placed in different positions, and "isochronism" is the accuracy as the watch unwinds and loses power? I'm sure it's more complex than that

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but I've no idea what iscochcronism or positional error is. Am I just looking at the daily rate?

You can of course look at the daily rate but you need to be more precise, "around" 5 min in "less than 3 weeks" is not very precise to draw a conclusion. However, it is not that easy. You also need to know what grade your ETA movement is to know what daily rate/ deviation can be expected.

Isochronism: Meaning the watch runs at the same rate whether the watch is fully wound, or only partially wound.

Positional error: A watch runs at different rates in different positions, do a search here on WUS. Members often report on watches running different in different positions, dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down....
    The rate in wear is an average of these known errors and therefore varies with different wearers. A good wrist-watch is tested and regulated in six positions, dial up, dial down, button up, button down, button right, button left. Worst errors are kept to the button left position, which occurs rarely with the watch on the outside of the left wrist. (A precision watch on the inside of the left wrist will give its worst performance.) A good watch which is a few seconds fast can be brought to time by leaving it on edge overnight, as it loses slightly in this position. Cheap wristwatches are checked and regulated in two positions.
    For more info? Alliance Horlogère.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; January 23rd, 2015 at 00:11.
    Bradjhomes and yankeexpress like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches View Post
    I've recently bought a Christopher Ward C60, but it's gained around 5 minutes in less than 3 weeks. Is this within tolerance levels? Seems like too much to me, but not long been into autos so not sure. Any opinions welcome please.

Thanks
    Ok, if your numbers are correct then your watch gained 300 seconds over 21 days. Or it averaged a gain of 14 seconds per day, which is a bit high but not bad for a spring powered mechanical watch that was not set up for chronometer performance. The unvarnished truth is that mechanical watches are inaccurate and inconsistent time keepers when compared to watches with quartz movements. But we love 'em anyway.

However, I think you should conduct a more precise test of your watch before calling CW. Set your watch to the second using time.gov Then just wear it for 14 full days without hand winding or resetting. Then compare your watch to time.gov and compute the average daily error. You may find that the error drops down to between 5 to 10 seconds per day.

For those of us who don't have a testing machine the most useful number from that chart is the average daily rate. That number describes the range of acceptable daily error for various grades of the 2824 movement. Note that all grades specify an error rate of several seconds per day.
    Last edited by John MS; January 23rd, 2015 at 00:54.

I did do an accurate test. I set it to the second using the atomic clock 3 weeks ago and it's gained 5 mins like I said. So I take it from the replies that it is running too fast?

I did do an accurate test. I set it to the second using the atomic clock 3 weeks ago and it's gained 5 mins like I said. So I take it from the replies that it is running too fast?
    How did it go from "around five minutes in less than three weeks" to exactly three weeks and exactly five minutes?

But, assuming that the watch is in all positions equally, and that it is fully wound at all times, it's about 2sec/day out of spec. However, if you're taking it off at night and putting it in a fast position, or not wearing it enough to keep it fully wound, then it might be in spec and just falling on the foul side of isochronism and positional error. You're not giving us enough information to give you a proper answer. How are you storing it at night, for example?

It depends on what grade CW uses? I think they put elabore grade movements into their watches that are not COSC certified? if yes then your watch is running fast and out of spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I want to be a ONE watch guy!!

Here's the graph of my brand new C60. It started at +11 on the very first day but it settled down and it now averages 4.5second fast per day after 7.5 days. The app is watch tracker.
    UKMike, yankeexpress and IH Biker like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information