Eterna KonTiki Bronze Manufacture LE - Incoming
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Eterna KonTiki Bronze Manufacture LE - Incoming

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Eterna KonTiki Bronze Manufacture LE - Incoming

Thanks once again to Time & Gold here in Vancouver, and especially Juanita who really assisted me in the selection of this watch. I have been a customer there since 1997. Time & Gold always has a fondness for me, being a hugely successful family owned jeweller here in Vancouver. One of the few successful businesses that has the ability to be professional, knowledgeable, friendly and humble all at once. Always a pleasure to visit, and even more so when I come across a watch to purchase!

This is what happened to my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 34mm that I sold very recently: It became this Eterna KonTiki Bronze LE watch which I should not even like! At 44mm and 14.24mm thick it is far larger than any watch I would normally consider. Yet, it fits, and sits on my wrist like it belongs there.

I suppose this symbolizes my entire life in many ways. For the longest time, I tend to go along with what seems to be a very "sensible" course in my lifeline. Suddenly, something appears to change all that, and I end up totally mesmerized and wondering if I did the right thing. This watch evokes certain emotions which I have found in few other watches.

This watch, to me, betrays all the concepts of what a watch "should" be. If you feel the surfaces of the bezel and the crown, they are actually rough and sharp. Yet you cannot complain about how they are finished at all. Very easy to grip which, I suppose, is a major factor in the handling of a true diver watch by one who actually does use it for diving. There is an incredible matt finish on the dial, gorgeous in fact, with what looks like small grains of sand dispersed within the grains of the dial. Even the ceramic bezel is a matt finish, in fact I thought at first it might be some kind of rubberized material. Normally, I am quite turned off by a ceramic diver bezel, and wish they were all stainless steel or some type of painted aluminum.

The markers, in particular the ones at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock are enormous. The scale on the rotable bezel is unlike any I have seen. Anyway, the Eterna website describes the attributes far better than I ever could:
    "Triangular luminescent hour markers are contrasted against a jet-black, granite-patterned dial that provides excellent legibility, while a unidirectional rotating bezel frames the dial with a no decompression limits scale. This no decompression limits scale provides divers with a useful backup to their diving computers as it indicates the amount of time a diver can spend at a particular depth before he will have to decompress."

And a word about the movement from the website:

"...the brand’s Calibre 39—an automatic in-house movement that is not only the engine inside the Eterna KonTiki Diver Gent Bronze Manufacture Limited edition, but is also the base movement for over 88 different Eterna movement references today. From a simple manually wound calibre with two or three hands, to an automatic chronograph, the Calibre 39 is the workhorse of the brand." 65 hours power reserve in this model.

A few pics taken outside right after I got the watch today:

There is an undefinable uniqueness about this watch which makes it so appealing.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: Eterna KonTiki Bronze Manufacture LE - Incoming

Sweet review. I would buy one in a heartbeat if only it were just a tad smaller. It's simply to large for my wrist. Enjoy it in the best of health Carl.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Great write-up Carl. Definitely a cool looking watch I haven't seen yet. 44mm is pretty big but it is pretty unique looking. Enjoy it!
    carlhaluss likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Sweet review. I would buy one in a heartbeat if only it were just a tad smaller. It's simply to large for my wrist. Enjoy it in the best of health Carl.
    Thanks a lot for your comment. You know, when I tried it on, I thought it was about 42mm and not 44mm. Normally, this would be way too big a watch for me. I guess it just proves that sometimes you have to try various models to see how they really fit. I think it really helped me not knowing the size before I saw it and tried it on my wrist. If I had known the size beforehand, chances are I might not have even tried it. I did know about the existence of the watch, and some of it's details, but fortunately the size was not one of those details!

Just as an aside: As I was typing this review, I was listening to music that came out in the early 1970s when I lived in Amsterdam. Living in the Netherlands were three of the very best years of my life, in my early 20s.
    Cheers,
    Carl
    T1meout likes this.

Reminiscing about good old times.

Your pictures do a splendid job at depicting the case curvature. I realy dig the lume color. That thing burns bright like a torch. Please share your wrist size. I'm also curious to know its lug to lug measurement.

Reminiscing about good old times.

Your pictures do a splendid job at depicting the case curvature. I realy dig the lume color. That thing burns bright like a torch. Please share your wrist size. I'm also curious to know its lug to lug measurement.
    My wrist is 7.25in. Lug size is 22mm. The leather strap is 22/18, so it has a nice 4mm taper. I am glad they went with the taper, rather than making the strap a straight 22mm. Really adds to the vintage appeal and also comfort.

Sorry, forgot to add lug to lug: at the sharpest end of the lugs is 52mm, the ends taper slightly. I'm not sure where the lug to lug measurement is usually taken.
    Last edited by carlhaluss; February 4th, 2018 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
    My wrist is 7.25in. Lug size is 22mm. The leather strap is 22/18, so it has a nice 4mm taper. I am glad they went with the taper, rather than making the strap a straight 22mm. Really adds to the vintage appeal and also comfort.
    Thanks Carl, but I was refering to its lug tip to lug tip measurement. Your wrist size is half an inch larger than mine.

Thanks Carl, but I was refering to its lug tip to lug tip measurement. Your wrist size is half an inch larger than mine.
    Sorry, forgot to add lug to lug: at the sharpest end of the lugs is 52mm, the ends taper slightly. I'm not sure where the lug to lug measurement is usually taken. Might present a problem for your wrist size. The lugs extend very nearly to the edges of my wrist, although my wrist size being larger has a lot to do with it's thickness rather than at the top.

Thank you Carl. At 52mm it will most definitely overextend beyond my wrist. I'm so jealous that it fits you perfectly. Oh well, here's to hoping they release a smaller model eventually. One can only dream.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Congratulations Carl!

Wear it in great health!

Wow; never would I have been able to imagine you purchasing such a large Watch!

It is a very cool-looking Watch.
    carlhaluss likes this.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information