Eterna Matic versus Eterna Automatic
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By ffritz
  • 1 Post By Eternally Rick

Thread: Eterna Matic versus Eterna Automatic

Eterna Matic versus Eterna Automatic

I have been unable to discern the difference, if any, between the watches labelled "ETERNA-MATIC" on the dial, and those just labelled "Automatic".
    Are the "automatics" produced without the roller-bearing of the winding mechanism ?

Anyone prepared with an answer, Txs

Hans

Re: Eterna Matic versus Eterna Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Elfelt View Post
    I have been unable to discern the difference, if any, between the watches labelled "ETERNA-MATIC" on the dial, and those just labelled "Automatic".
    Are the "automatics" produced without the roller-bearing of the winding mechanism ?
    The automatic rotor with ball bearings which was intoduced as Eterna-Matic in 1948 is standard in most automatic movements today. The Eterna logo shows the five small balls, and you can find the same bearing at the center of any Eta 28xx, Eta 7750, Miyota 9015, etc. (some with 5 balls, some with 7).

Name:  brand.gif
Views: 64
Size:  2.2 KBName:  etasellita-comparison.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  56.5 KBName:  Eta-7750-movement.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  30.4 KB

Nice research ffritz

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Elfelt View Post

Anyone prepared with an answer, Txs

Hans
    As already said, the Eterna-matic is the automatic first produced in 1948 the rotor used to wind the watch was held in 5 ball bearings. (Hence the 5 balls in the Eterna symbol). The advantage was that it was almost frictionless and was a big advance on all previous automatics.
    The Eterna Automatic was the automatics produced before the Eterna-matic and they were "bumper" operated, i.e. the rotor in this case rocked backwards and forwards winding the watch, it did not rotate a full 360 degrees. Unlike the Eterna-matic they only wound the watch in one direction. These were produced from 1939 onwards and I believe they stopped being produced in 1949 when they were made obsolete by the Eterna-matic.
    Hope this helps.
    ffritz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternally Rick View Post
    As already said, the Eterna-matic is the automatic first produced in 1948 the rotor used to wind the watch was held in 5 ball bearings. (Hence the 5 balls in the Eterna symbol). The advantage was that it was almost frictionless and was a big advance on all previous automatics.
    The Eterna Automatic was the automatics produced before the Eterna-matic and they were "bumper" operated, i.e. the rotor in this case rocked backwards and forwards winding the watch, it did not rotate a full 360 degrees. Unlike the Eterna-matic they only wound the watch in one direction. These were produced from 1939 onwards and I believe they stopped being produced in 1949 when they were made obsolete by the Eterna-matic.
    Hope this helps.
    And then at some point Eterna went back to printing "Automatic" on the dial rather than "Eterna-Matic". But I have no idea when that was or according to what change or logic. However, since 2009 they have been producing the Spherodrive, where also the main spring barrel is supported by ball bearings to reduce friction. We'll see if that solution will be used more widely in the future.

Name:  eterna3505c.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  53.2 KB

Here, the dial window shows the main spring barrel bearings rather than the balance.

Thread Information