Eterna watch movements

Thread: Eterna watch movements

Eterna watch movements

Was reading the posts over in Biatech Watches and noticed they are going to use Eterna movements and it had me wondering what other brands have Eterna movements in them? I knew about Porche Design before they parted ways but I am more curious if anybody else is using their Caliber 39.

Re: Eterna watch movements

Currently, I think only Biatec does. Even historically, Eterna did not provide their in-house movements to anyone, really. Some of their in-house calibres had their ETA versions, and some in-house movements- albeit with bridge modifications- were supplied to Stauffer, and put in watches branded Peerless, Peertone, or simply with a clean dial with a retailer's name to be put on it.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I think Monta watches, a new kickstarter company uses them, but that's all I know as far as outside companies

https://montawatch.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Currently, I think only Biatec does. Even historically, Eterna did not provide their in-house movements to anyone, really
    Aside from the ETernA 2824 (previously the Eterna 1429/1439) and 2892 (previously the 1466U) of course ;).

Well, they did continue some movements as ETA, or ETA had its versions (with completely different bridges, like the ETA 853 based on Eterna 852) of Eterna's in-house movements as I've said, but Eterna as Eterna did not.
    I don't know where does the story about the 2824 and the 1429U being the same movement come from, but it's simply not true- the cal 1429 is NOT the 2824. Different baseplate (the 1429 is larger by approximately 3mm), different balance cock, different mainspring (38-40h power reserve of the 2824 vs 49h of the 1429), the 2824 runs at 28800 vph, the 1429- at 18000 vph. So they're two different movements, despite certain visual similarities. Check the Ranfft archive entries for both.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Eterna 1429U
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 2824
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Well, they did continue some movements as ETA, or ETA had its versions (with completely different bridges, like the ETA 853 based on Eterna 852) of Eterna's in-house movements as I've said, but Eterna as Eterna did not.
    I don't know where does the story about the 2824 and the 1429U being the same movement come from, but it's simply not true- the cal 1429 is NOT the 2824.
    It's not - but the 2824 was not developed by ETA in a vacuum. ETA was Eterna's movment arm, after all. The Eterna 1541 provides the bridge.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Eterna 1541

My point, which i did make at least partly in jest, is that Eterna has, in one important way, provided movements for millions of watches. I'm happy that the 2824 in my Eterna is related (in layout and structure if not size) to a former Eterna movement.

Thread Information