Even the Chinese see Casio as cheap!

Thread: Even the Chinese see Casio as cheap!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Even the Chinese see Casio as cheap!

The other day I was teaching a business English class and we were doing demographics. I asked for an example of a watch which a poor man would buy. Without a moment's hesitation one of my students said "Casio".
    I was a bit surprised given how little you can pay for a genuinely decent watch around here....and how many you can pick up for under 100 yuan. I'd love to know just how Casio still manages to be viewed in this way, given that it produces a massive range of very well-made models up to $1,500. And how on earth do they upscale their image? Just stop making anything under a certain price? (say $350?)\
    I assume (and hope) they're not in financial trouble, but it does seem very unfair that this image should stick.

Banned

Re: Even the Chinese see Casio as cheap!

The average non-enthusiast doesn't know what parnis is

Banned

Their image is what it is because they do make a ton of cheap watches. Once you're pigeon holed, it's tough to change that perception.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio made their name by building good products at a low price point. It's what enabled them to come out atop the calculator war and what enabled them to begin producing watches in the first place. They're not in trouble.

lvt

I think Casio still enjoys some very profitable market segments like China, India, South-East Asia, Africa, South America... with combined population of around 2 billions people, if only 5% of this population wear a 100 yuan ($15) Casio watch the annual production would be around 100 millions units. Casio is unlikely to be able to make that huge quantity so there still is rooms for another watchmakers (be it genuine or fake).
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Their image is what it is because they do make a ton of cheap watches. Once you're pigeon holed, it's tough to change that perception.
    Agree. I don't think Casio would disagree. But what they make (low cost , reliable) satisfies poor folks and RICH folks alike and I don't think Casio cares about the "cheap" perception, as long as they continue to sell millions of products without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    The other day I was teaching a business English class and we were doing demographics. I asked for an example of a watch which a poor man would buy. Without a moment's hesitation one of my students said "Casio".
    I was a bit surprised given how little you can pay for a genuinely decent watch around here....and how many you can pick up for under 100 yuan. I'd love to know just how Casio still manages to be viewed in this way, given that it produces a massive range of very well-made models up to $1,500. And how on earth do they upscale their image? Just stop making anything under a certain price? (say $350?)\
    I assume (and hope) they're not in financial trouble, but it does seem very unfair that this image should stick.
    They should send a watch to Mars via rocket. Sending a watch to a planet= a badass horology feat.

if it weren't for G-Shocks and Pathfinders, Casio would be less interesting than Invicta: just cheap well made plastic. It's because of their G-Shock/Pathfinder lines they're as important horologically as Rolex and Omega.

When I read the topic headline it got me thinking about a film i watched years ago.

It was Planes,trains and automobiles.

The part where Steve Martin is trying to get a room in a motel and ends up giving the guy an expensive watch (cant remember the name) and some cash, and the guy accepts this.

Then it's John Candy's turn, he says i have a few dollars in loose change and a CASIO (rubs it over his wrist like a salesman), and the motel keeper says "I think i'm gonna have to ask you to leave".

Very funny but also gave the idea that Casios are cheap mens watches.

There is quite a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive." Based on my experience, I would classify Casio as inexpensive.

On the other hand . . . I can wear another watch!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information