ever been asked "if that real?"
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: ever been asked "if that real?"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ever been asked "if that real?"

I dare you to give me a more annoying question..

I worn a vintage Rolex datejust and it's by no mean the most expensive watch I have in my collection but I've been asked when I wore that and my Panerai, is that real..?

I just say, what do you think? and if they said no, then I just say yep.

Re: ever been asked "if that real?"

Just reply, "fake watches isn't my thing" and leave it at that. If they are WIS and want to discuss watches, now that's a totally different conversation all together.

napel, OzO, TheWalrus and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i think WIS would know just by looking...most people who ask me that have no idea about watches and think "Rolex" is the most expensive watch out there..

Quote Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
    LMAO!!

My friends would know better so they would not ask but I have been asked countless of times by random acquaintances when I was wearing a Rolex (especially the sub/seadweller).

My standard reply would be "It is a real watch that tells time " and leave it at that.

I don't think I've ever been asked "Is that real?", but I have been asked any number of times "Is that a Rolex?"...

[Shrug] I guess no watch can ever be that nice in the minds of non-WIS unless it says 'Rolex' on the dial...

I did have a student last week say, "How much was that watch? $3,000?" [He was a few feet away, and I was wearing my Kobold] I was surprised. I told him to buy a new one, he was not far off. He followed that up with asking if it was a Rolex. I was still sort of impressed because I am pretty sure he has never seen a mechanical watch up close in his life. To ascertain or surmise quality from a distance, and randomly guess a reasonably accurate cost for the watch was pretty impressive on his part.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Honestly, it's never come up.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Oddly, no one ever questioned the Explorer 2 I had, but Breitling and PAM were enough for one neighbor and a colleague to make me hear that question. Both times I was honesty so surprised, I just managed to answer something like Yeah, or course it is..

Actually, a few months after the Panerai incident, I saw that same colleague after he had been visiting Thailand. He showed me his new "Sunday watch" which, to my surprise, was also a PAM. I was happy for him and thought it would be nice to share an interest in watches. After he told me he had bought it for some 30 USD, I've never been able to look him the same way. :)
    natedadude and brummyjon like this.

I know what you mean..Someone high up the organisation chain, whom I looked up to..told me he bought his B&R watch from Bali.....

I was never able to look at him the same way either.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information