Ever buy a watch from a company you don't like?
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Ever buy a watch from a company you don't like?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Ever buy a watch from a company you don't like?

I'm running out of options for a large, burly, diver with personality. The ProDiver failed. My last shot may be .......... Hublot.

I sort of despise the brand. Too much into the "Look at Me", prone to ridiculous bling, way overpricing, ordinary movements, advertising a mug shot of a patron who was badly beaten for his Hublot .... I'm struggling with throwing money at a company I don't like, not that it would make any difference.

Anyone else run across this before?
    Last edited by Gary123; October 18th, 2013 at 23:16.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Re: Ever buy a watch from a company you don't like?

No I struggle with that concept. Unless a commercial organisation has done something heinous I see no reason to hate them as a brand? And by default if I hate their products and then they surprise me with something I like for the first time then I don't dislike them as much as I did before.

As for Hublot? I'm the same as you in the respect that their vast majority of watches do nothing for me. I did however see one the other day that I like in my AD's shop window but it was too similar to a APRO to buy.

PS - Do NOT buy the Hublot Gary. Your mind is preconditioned not to get over this issue comfortably. You will end up selling it.
    Gary123, John MS, Doboji and 2 others like this.
    Current Collection
    Patek Philippe – World Time Chronograph – 5930G-001
    Patek Philippe – Annual Calendar 5135G
    Patek Philippe – Aquanaut – 5167a-001
    Patek Philippe – Calatrava – 5196P
    A Lange & Sohne – Datograph
    Breguet – La Tradition - 7037BB/11/9V6
    Breguet – Type XXI Transatlantique Flyback
    Audemars Piguet – Royal Oak -15300
    Jaeger LeCoultre – Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface
    Breitling – Navitimer 46
    Breitling – Transocean Chronograph B01 Ltd Edition
    Rolex – Submariner No Date - 114060
    Zenith – El Primero – 30.0240.410
    Panerai – Luminor PAM 241
    IWC – Portuguese Chronograph
    Omega – Speedmaster (Sapphire Sandwich)
    Omega – Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 43
    Omega – Seamaster Planet Ocean
    Longines – Column Wheel Single Push-Piece Chronograph 180th Anniversary Ltd Edition
    Longines – Master Retrograde Seconds
    Tudor – Heritage Black Bay 79220R Leather
    Meistersinger – Salthora Jumping Hours - SH908
    Tag Heuer – Monaco Calibre 11
    Tag Heuer – Aquaracer Two Tone Quartz

Hublot......Why not Clerc?
    Why buy something you hate? You already know you won't keep it.
    Check out Invicta....All big, burly diver with personality. Will be allot cheaper.
    And if you really love it...Buy and install a better mvmt.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think if I really like the watch I can maybe get past the company. My opinion is based on their other products, and somewhat their marketing, both of which have nothing to do with a stand alone watch. I must however see it in person, be armed with my list of criteria, and spend some time carefully assessing the watch.

I already owned the Clerc. That watch was a joke. I can honestly say I dislike the Clerc watch. It offers up hardcore field looks but falls far short in field performance. Strictly a daytime watch because one of its hands has no lume or white paint and becomes invisible in low light. Even the fellow who bought it from me said it is a day time only watch. But what a beauty.

Here was my thread on the Clerc: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/cler...ew-779857.html
    Last edited by Gary123; October 19th, 2013 at 04:11.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

I never have.

I will say some of IWC's recent offerings, combined with their advertising, has played a part in me not pursuing one of the previous generation Aqua Timers (3548).

The way I understand it then is that you currently dislike Hublot in general. But your opinion of the brand would improve should it yield a watch that you like enough to buy. That actually makes sense....I've seen a number of people who had issues with Rolex marketing/image, but ended up respecting their watches after trying one on.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Despite my antipathy to Rolex's marketing overhead, ossified R&D and modern production scale, I expect to take the plunge on a vintage Sub or Sea Dweller some time next year. Gotta have one.

Despite my antipathy to Rolex's marketing overhead, ossified R&D and modern production scale, I expect to take the plunge on a vintage Sub or Sea Dweller some time next year. Gotta have one.
    Nice.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    ... Anyone else run across this before?
    Yup!

Have a Love/Hate relationship with a certain brand that most members seem to either completely hate or completely love. Silly me, I'm in between. No denying that the dive watch I'm looking at is gorgeous. But on the inside, the quality isn't even remotely there for what you get. Plus, I hate the image the brand is currently associated with. Thankfully their logo is a bit understated. I'm still struggling with my final decision. But for the most part I'm not getting it. Though in my case, it's equal parts not liking the brand and definitely not liking the not-even-remotely-good-enough level of quality for the MSRP of their watches.

I'd happily wear it if I got it for free as a gift. But it's still horribly over-priced even if you go grey-market and swing a 50% asking-price.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Yea - I know what you mean about Hublot... I heard they club baby seals in the Arctic during their production process.
    Last edited by Squirrelly; October 19th, 2013 at 00:08.
    s.erickson87 likes this.

Vulcain Nautique 1st Swiss/1967 * Seiko 5 SpeedTimer 1st Auto Chrono, from Tokyo Ginza/1969 * Handful of Seiko Quartz Chronos * Heuer Re-issue 1964 Pre-TAG Carrera chrono * TAG Heuer "Carrera" Chrono * Omega "Speedmaster" Chrono * Baume & Mercier Formula S Chrono * Zenith "El Primero" HW Chrono * Mühle Glashütte Nautische Chrono * Sinn 903ST “Navitimer” Chrono * Techné SparrowHawk II Chrono * Alpina Startimer Big-Date Chrono * Zodiac Sea Dragon chrono * (2) Victorinox "Infantry Vintage" Chronos (Silver/Green) * Junkers "G38" chrono * Hamilton Pioneer Khaki chrono * Bulova Marine Star Chrono/Diver * Breitling Chronospace chrono * Dan Henry 1939 chrono * Fortuna chrono * Delbana "Silverstone" chrono * Ball Fireman "Storm Chaser" chrono * William L. chrono * Junghans Meister Telemeter Chronoscope *

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information