Ever had this happen to you ... ?

Thread: Ever had this happen to you ... ?

v76

Ever had this happen to you ... ?

Have you ever had a purchase which was a bit of an impulse buy ... Perhaps a watch you have been considering getting a long time, but not really "The Grail" for you turn out to be a lot more special than you bargained for?

The Zenith that I got recently has turned out to be precisely that. I got a pre-owned and recently serviced piece of great beauty (as you have seen on other posts). I'm really lucky to have gotten this one in such great condition, since this particular model (and dial type) is no longer available, and none of the current Zenith Class Elite models really "sing" to me, as the expression goes.

This watch has everything I've been looking for - high quality "manufacture" movement from a company with a real history for producing some great movements. Absolutely lovely proportions on the dial, hands, case, etc. with almost flawless execution, and wonderful accuracy ... been less than +1s/day ever since I've been wearing it. One of the amazing things about this watch is that the movement appears so beautiful (the finish enhances this effect) that it appears even more attractive than that gorgeous dial. All this at what I feel is quite an affordable price for the quality, heritage and workmanship.

Has a watch purchase turned out to be a whole lot more than you bargained for? Has another purchase supplanted your grail?
    Last edited by v76; March 7th, 2010 at 04:41.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Re: Ever had this happen to you ... ?

well sort of. i purchased the headwind pre-owned but via an ad. i specified that i would only accept a near perfect headwind , and the watch i received was even better. near flawless and it matches my wifes b-ling.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

v76

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    well sort of. i purchased the headwind pre-owned but via an ad. i specified that i would only accept a near perfect headwind , and the watch i received was even better. near flawless and it matches my wifes b-ling.
    Sounds good to me, Devon! Isn't it a great feeling when you get a watch that you've really wanted, and even pre-owned it turns out be so much better than you'd imagined?
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've not done any "impulse" buys in a looong time.
    Wish I could say it's cuz I'm wise and prescient, but mainly money's too tight for whimsy.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    This watch has everything I've been looking for - high quality "manufacture" movement from a company with a real history for producing some great movements. Absolutely lovely proportions on the dial, hands, case, etc. with almost flawless execution, and wonderful accuracy ... been less than +1s/day ever since I've been wearing it. One of the amazing things about this watch is that the movement appears so beautiful (the finish enhances this effect) that it appears even more attractive than that gorgeous dial. All this at what I feel is quite an affordable price for the quality, heritage and workmanship.
    Glad to hear the honeymoon's going to continue for a bit. I buy my share of pre-owned watches and have to admit that only a handful have evoked the same feelings in me - the Omega 3570.40's prolly one of the few exceptions. Not like I don't care for them all which I do, but that prolonged intensity of just one watch like your Zenith is rare.

I've had two such purchases.

First one was a Maurice Lacroix Pontos Power Reserve...thought the watch was striking when I got it but it looks more beautiful every time I look at it. In fact of all the watches I own it's the one that looks best on my wrist...goes best with my work attire...and garners the most compliments. In addition to all of the above it's also my most accurate watch at +0.4s/day.

Second one was a Concord Saratoga Automatique XL that was an impulsse buy. I though the watch looked great in pics but when it arrived, WOW. It has the most decorated movement of any watch I have...and the leather strap is just super-comfortable. And although the watch is a large 43mm its very short lugs make it look great on my 6.75cm wrist. The crown guard is great and the guilloche dial looks amazing.

I know neither of these watches is a Zenith..but they were both sort of impulse buys that worked out very well for me. Couldn't imagine my collection without either of them.

NM

Thread Information