Every New Zenith from Baselworld 2019
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Every New Zenith from Baselworld 2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

Every New Zenith from Baselworld 2019

Zenith just announced their new Defy Inventor, the first mass-produced version of their new Zenith Oscillator movement! Unlike the Defy Lab, the first watch with this revolutionary new movement, hundreds (as opposed to 10) will be produced per year. That’s still a very small number, but in terms of relative scale, a huge improvement. The movement itself has also been improved, with minor revisions throughout.

The watch, specifically model no. 95.9001.9100/78.R584, is 44mm, is made from titanium and Aeronith (an aluminum composite material). It’s priced at about (estimated) $17,800 and is expected sometime in July.

Almost as exciting are these three new 50th Anniversary El Primeros! These classic A386-inspired watches all come in 38mm gold cases. Each are priced $19,200.

Also returning to Zenith’s past are the new Type 20 Chronograph Adventure watches. These 45mm watches come only in a bronze case, but you do get to choose between the more affordable “matrix” strap, at $7,100, or the camo strap for $7,700. I’d go matrix, myself.

Likewise, you can find another pair of Type 20 Adventure watches, sans-chronograph. They remain bronze and 45mm, and both are $7,100. I do find it odd that they priced these almost precisely the same as the chronograph versions, however.

Not all of Zenith’s releases look to the past. They also released two new Defy Double Tourbillons. Both are 46mm, but the first one is in a full carbon composite case ($113,000) while the second is platinum ($141,000).

Lastly, we look at another full carbon case model, a new Defy El Primero. It might lack dual tourbillons, but it’s still a pretty exotic movement in my book. It’s also in a more versatile size, 44mm, and costs considerably less, at $17,800.

We’ll be adding more photos soon, but for now, take a look at our gallery!

Last edited by Timeless Luxury Watches; March 23rd, 2019 at 08:25. Reason: Updates, new information
    ffritz likes this.

Re: New Zenith Defy Inventor, the First Mass-Produced Zenith Oscillator!

From the articles I read, I got the impression they're still somewhat worried about technical issues. Perhaps not, but this is still a very cautious move on their part. Even if it's not technically limited, the low production numbers...and staying with the exotic bezel...basically still amount to a limited edition.

And, unfortunately, it's still huge.

That said, I'm happy to see they're still developing the oscillator.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    From the articles I read, I got the impression they're still somewhat worried about technical issues. Perhaps not, but this is still a very cautious move on their part. Even if it's not technically limited, the low production numbers...and staying with the exotic bezel...basically still amount to a limited edition.

And, unfortunately, it's still huge.

That said, I'm happy to see they're still developing the oscillator.
    I agree, although technical obstacles were practically a given due to the radical nature of the thing. They've got other stuff coming out too, so I'll update this thread with it when I get it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You've got to hand it to Zenith; they do seriously invest in being the first to market with new developments. The wacky bezel makes it look like a science project and to me that's a part of the appeal.

Redefines BOLD!

In the past, I got excited about Zenith Oscillator because of advancement in accuracy with mechanical movement, but now in my opinion, it is not enough. To me, true advancement in mechanical movement would be Zenith Oscillator plus mechanical movement that require no lubrication such that periodic servicing is not needed. Something like a melding between Zenith Oscillator and Panerai LAB-ID or Cartier ID Two. Haha, that'd be too super-expensive!

But even without lubrication, I think they could need (super-expensive) repair due to wear and tear? Solar/kinetic watch's accuracy and low maintenance is hard to beat. I'll just play with my current mechanicals when I want to.

I remember Jean-Claude Biver said Zenith needs to be affordable...

"JCB: It must be. This is also one of the important elements of Zenith. It must be affordable. It’s essential. It’s a pillar. You could even call it the affordable future of tradition."(Interview: Jean-Claude Biver on Rebooting Zenith and the El Primero JCB explains his approach to turning around the storied chronograph maker. | SJX Watches)

I don't think that's affordable! LOL But you know how it is, "It's all relative (to the rich)." LOL

Not much confidence in that movement because too new and technology unproven in daily wear, I will stick with my vintage Zeniths.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

On the affordability...yeah, this one doesn't count. I think as long as they stay with the Aeronith, it's not gonna be cheap. Or, flipping it over, the Aeronith doesn't add that much but it gives it the extra-special vibe, kinda sorta justifying the price tag. These feel like the beta version...a very late, near-production beta, but still a beta. They're still doing shakeout and process development/control; they're not ready to ramp up to 10,000 a year.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Redefines BOLD!
    Makes the Tudor Monstrosity look elegant and understated imho.

Zenith seem to be getting themselves into a corner where showcasing this spectacularly innovative movement implies rather garish design - which is guaranteed to quickly date.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Redefines BOLD!
    Makes the Tudor Monstrosity look elegant and understated imho.

Zenith seem to be getting themselves into a corner where showcasing this spectacularly innovative movement implies rather garish design - which is guaranteed to quickly date.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information