Every time I think I知 settled with my watch selection, I get another idea.
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Every time I think I知 settled with my watch selection, I get another idea.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anyone else do this? I bought a Ball earlier this year after selling off a few Seiko divers to fund it, which I bought after selling a couple of G-Shocks. I now whittled it down to only the Ball and Seiko SARB033 and now I keep getting the itch to sell the Ball and buy another Seiko and pick up another G. When will this stupid madness end?

Re: Every time I think I知 settled with my watch selection, I get another idea.

Never! and it will keep getting more and more expensive. Next comes building up a variety, then paring it down to a few choice watches that you just can't part with... then you part with those to get some variety, etc. Love it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MiDirtyBastard View Post
    Never! and it will keep getting more and more expensive. Next comes building up a variety, then paring it down to a few choice watches that you just can't part with... then you part with those to get some variety, etc. Love it!!!!!
    It’s been close to 10 years now. Back when it was more of a collection it was sizable. I like having less than 5 because I actually regularly use them all. This is the leanest cost wise I’ve ever had my watches which I can’t call a collection. I think they’re perfect for my style, yet still want to change it up. Ugh.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have been up to nearly twenty and back down to ten. Like most collectors, just when I think I've got the right number I see another angle to the collection.

I think settling on a number then following a one-in / one-out rule makes the most sense for me. I hope to settle on a core collection of 8-10 I love, I'm about 60% of the way there. Then I'll see something else...
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Since I got into watches a couple years ago, I致e bought 14 watches but have never had more than 4 in the collection. Buying satisfies the itch then there痴 another you want, so you justify buying it by selling another. I知 down to a Steinhart OVM 39, Seiko SKX007, Hamilton Khaki Auto, and Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic.

Now痴 the first time I致e been somewhat satisfied with what I致e got in the box. Hopefully it stays that way for a while...

The madness will stop if and when you come to your senses and regain control over yourself. Just look at your statement--when you find yourself going in circles, re-buying things you previously sold, you need to recognize that it is time to give things a rest, step back from the chase, and focus on other things. Once settled elsewhere, come back and give serious thought to what you have done, and whether you need to go anywhere further. And honestly--I'm saying this with all seriousness--get out if you can, very little actual good will come of it--watch collecting/hoarding/flipping does little to enhance one's life and lifestyle, but does have many detractions.

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    The madness will stop if and when you come to your senses and regain control over yourself. Just look at your statement--when you find yourself going in circles, re-buying things you previously sold, you need to recognize that it is time to give things a rest, step back from the chase, and focus on other things. Once settled elsewhere, come back and give serious thought to what you have done, and whether you need to go anywhere further. And honestly--I'm saying this with all seriousness--get out if you can, very little actual good will come of it--watch collecting/hoarding/flipping does little to enhance one's life and lifestyle, but does have many detractions.
    Yeah no kidding. I have had two instances where I sold everything off for one watch and worn only one for a year. I’m probably at that point now to step away and be happy with what I have. It’s just weird not having a diver but they haven’t appealed to me lately.

Watches get better with age. The longer I have ‘em the more attached I get to ‘em. Selling an almost new Ball… It’s unthinkable. Almost unconscionable. You haven’t given it time to become part of you.

The watch you wore on your trip to Asia, to your daughter’s wedding, to your wedding, to your father’s funeral. These are some of the things that turn timepieces into treasures.

I'm in the exact same situation. I only just started collecting Feb of this year. My intention was to stick to the $200-$500 price range. Well... I now own a Sinn 103, Stowa Flieger 40, and a Squale 20 Atmos. Yeah, none of those fall in that range. And I settled with these 3 after having cut several other watches. Somehow this is actually me holding back...

When I began eyeing and lusting after a Speedy and drooling over a Daytona and an AP, it hit me hard that this was becoming a problem. I was spiraling out of control.

My advice to you and me, is to just stick to what you've got now. Or at the very least make the final few closing trades and put closure to it. Enjoy what you've got and move onto another hobby for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrettSinclair View Post
    Have been up to nearly twenty and back down to ten. Like most collectors, just when I think I've got the right number I see another angle to the collection.

I think settling on a number then following a one-in / one-out rule makes the most sense for me. I hope to settle on a core collection of 8-10 I love, I'm about 60% of the way there. Then I'll see something else...
    Couldn't agree more. My collection has fluctuated from 4 to 8 but my problem is I've never defined what I need (i.e. Dress, Diver, GMT) to make it complete. I've bought watches when I see ones I like but before I know it I've got all divers, over half of which are black (divers are my go-to in case you didn't catch that). I think you need to define what types/colors/brands you like and limit the collection to what you think you would reasonably wear (each at least once a month IMO). Doesn't mean you can't buy anymore because I think the upgrade is just as fun as the addition.
    I have a problem with changing my mind faster than I can change my watch collection

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information