Everything you need to know about watches from $200 to $20,000 in under 2 minutes
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Everything you need to know about watches from $200 to $20,000 in under 2 minutes

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Everything you need to know about watches from $200 to $20,000 in under 2 minutes

This video says all you need to know.

https://youtu.be/XS6-V33kRFQ

Edit:
    Want to have more laughs with the same principle, but applied to wine? Skip to 2:35 in this video: https://youtu.be/xNh-HMQow9o

I wish I could find one of these videos that specifically uses watches, but I haven't yet.

All the best.
    Last edited by tony20009; July 25th, 2015 at 23:41.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: Everything you need to know about watches from $200 to $20,000 in under 2 minutes

Yes because most NON Wis would notice and recognise an A Lange or F.P Jorne or Patek Philippe.
    Sense the sarcasm? :D
    Most people haven't even heard of AP.
    No one cares what's on our wrist buddy, and that's why the video is completely irrelevant. Suit yourself though!
    Last edited by cadet; July 25th, 2015 at 21:33.
    aced75 likes this.

Re: Everything you need to know about watches from $200 to $20,000 in under 2 minutes

And you come to the behavioral finance realm, sir. There are so many people out there (especially some guys wearing H) that buy watches for their social status. And maybe, if you ask some people wearing expensive watches in the street, you will find an answer like "Because it is expensive!"(This typical guys are common at my age), or something like "Because it is H brand, or bla bla blah brand or something like that. I can't laugh at it somehow, although it is irrational in some aspects, because that is what make us human. Although as far as i know, status is not determined by the watches, but by the person itself. But for someone that think their watches can give them a status, let them be happy.
    As for me, as long as I love the watches, and I can afford it, I will be really delightful to own it and put some smile when i look at it. Because sometimes we must view world with our aesthetic sense rather than using our pure logic on it. And for me that is how we can enjoy our limited time in this world. But to put the real happiness and achievements on your life, you will need more than some expensive watches.
    ~My first post on WUS (after one year being a silent reader)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Yes because most NON Wis would notice and recognise an A Lange or F.P Jorne or Patek Philippe.
    Sense the sarcasm? :D
    Most people haven't even heard of AP.
    No one cares what's on our wrist buddy, and that's why the video is completely irrelevant. Suit yourself though!
    The self esteem is self generated. They feel superior to plebs who have no idea and cannot afford what they have on their wrist.
    Last edited by obomomomo; July 25th, 2015 at 22:29.
    vkalia likes this.
    Bulova> 96A225. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710, 214270. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SARG007, SBDX017, SLA017, SRP777.

That's why I only buy watches with diamonds on them. I don't have to say a word, and people instantly recognize me as someone really important. They're all "sir" and what not, like "Sir, for the last time, you need to wear a shirt on the bus..." and "sorry sir, we don't accept McDonald's coupons here at the beer store"

Diamonds = Respect
    EsbenOpen, G07, tony20009 and 18 others like this.

Lol!! Those guys are so gullible I gotta wonder if it was put up.

Yes, we all need to know and exhibit our status and also like things that enhance our sense of self esteem. Watches being a kind of jewelry are excellent vehicles for attaining those ends. No matter the price or design.
    Last edited by John MS; July 25th, 2015 at 23:16.

Status? Def one of the reasons I buy the watches I do (sorry for being so shallow), not the only one but def one for sure, guess I'm in a vast minority . . .
    tony20009, Crunchy and IWCOwner like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by drhr View Post
    Status? Def one of the reasons I buy the watches I do (sorry for being so shallow), not the only one but def one for sure, guess I'm in a vast minority . . .
    Kudos, DRHR. I give you props, buddy, because yours is the kind of shallow I can respect. Unlike so many other folks, you aren't living under some false impression about what motivates your choices. (I also don't recall seeing you be negatively judgmental about other folks' choices.) You do what you do with 'eyes wide open' and not a bit of shame. Folks who are comfortable in their own skin are the kind of folks we need more of in the world.

Just one word to the wise: buy whatever fancy watch/stuff you want for whatever status reason you want, but don't pay extra to sit at the VIP bus stop. <winks & chuckles>

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

I feel like watches are sold on status a lot. I however don't see that they generally actually have any real world translation. As mention before A lange which I think make the best looking watches in the world, is virtually unheard of. I would be SHOCKED if a non wis knew ANYTHING about Blancpain, let alone realized any of their watches were really expensive from a distance. But you go into the store to get a watch and you'll sure as heck be sold status and prestige, rarity or whatever else they can sell you on. This isn't isolated to watches either btw, there are a lot of things in life that are sold as making you "better than those guys" and nobody will ever know you paid extra for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    I feel like watches are sold on status a lot. I however don't see that they generally actually have any real world translation. As mention before A lange which I think make the best looking watches in the world, is virtually unheard of. I would be SHOCKED if a non wis knew ANYTHING about Blancpain, let alone realized any of their watches were really expensive from a distance. But you go into the store to get a watch and you'll sure as heck be sold status and prestige, rarity or whatever else they can sell you on. This isn't isolated to watches either btw, there are a lot of things in life that are sold as making you "better than those guys" and nobody will ever know you paid extra for it.
    Sellers...yes, they'll use whatever angle they think will work, and, no, it's not just watch sellers who will. LOL Status is one tack that often enough works pretty well.

Edit:
    I suppose the key thing to keep in mind is that sellers and manufacturers are very, very well aware of human nature and how to use it against us individuals. Equally important, however, is realizing that it's not just sellers of consumer goods who use these principles. Political consultants also use these concepts on behalf of their principals and so do spiritual consultants. I've even managed teams that help clients design and implement these concepts.

I don't mind that they use these tactics, but I recognize them and can guard against them if/when I feel the need to do so. It's just a matter of knowing it so one can tell the seller who wants me to pay a higher price that s/he is "full of it" and they need to come down on the price. LOL

All the best.
    Last edited by tony20009; July 25th, 2015 at 23:49.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information