Evolution of your watch collection - from wearer to collector
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Ray MacDonald
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Evolution of your watch collection - from wearer to collector

Hi all,

As I sit here this morning trying to pick a watch for the day, I started thinking how my collection evolved. From looking at the first watch I purchased (Movado w/museum dial) to some of my more recent (50's/60's Vulcain Cricket) I couldn't help wonder how other collectors' collections started and their journey.

Here is my journey:

When I bought my first watch in 2004 I knew I wanted a Movado, for at the time I perceived them to be high end, and given it was $400, I felt I had made it into the expensive/high end watch world. Don't ask me why I thought that back then but there it is. A few months later I thought, I really need to get a casual sport watch. So while in the Amman airport I walked over to the duty free shop and bought a Tag Heuer Formula 1.

Now I really thought I had made it and was doing well given I had two expensive watches (expensive for me at the time).

Several years later I determined I needed to get out of the quartz world and move up to an automatic. So I purchased a Montblanc Timewalker as a dress watch and a Raymond Weil Freelancer as a casual watch. Between the Movado, Tag and these two I just mentioned, I bought a Luminox Nighthawk.

Then I got it into my head I needed a big bling type of watch so I bought a Citizen (BL540052A, look it up and you'll see what I mean).

Fast forward to now, while I have a better understanding of high end watches (or at least tell myself I do) I can't help but look to vintage watches. I love my vintage watches and while I look at newer watches none really do it for me. There is just something about an old hand wound watch that I doubt I'll run into anyone wearing.

So I ask, how did your watch collecting start and where has it taken you?

Re: Evolution of your watch collection - from wearer to collector

My watch collection started when I started to wear ana-digi Alba in 1995ish,but got worse when my mom gave me quartz two tone Tag Heuer professional back in 1997,after Armani (yup..),came lots of different Tags then I moved to Cartier (this was pre 2001) and Rolex (2001/2002ish) then ana-digi Tag before Panerai in 2005/2006 until now

1st almost forever ago
    Name:  CASIO GW-1701D-1AV G-SHOCK 02_resize.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  130.1 KB

2014 purchases so far...(seller pics)
    Name:  RXW 10.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  53.7 KBName:  image (1).jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  100.5 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Started with JLC, then moved to omega (at one time I had all the different types of current production seamasters in one watch box). I then moved into affordable sub 2k category trying stuff out. I was flipping a lot at this point because it was fun to always have an incoming and an outgoing. After sampling everything in the affordable camp I got too busy to do that in the entry to middle luxury category so I now focus on the various community designed WUS limited edition forum project watches. I like the group discussions during the design phase the most and it really exposed me to different watch design elements I would have never discovered on my own, it's like crack to me. There has been a lot of attrition in the collection but omega and JLC has never left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NightOwl; January 11th, 2014 at 18:16.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

1952. My grandpa gave me this one.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

My DJ was well overdue for a service and I couldn't stand the thought of being without a watch for 3 or 4 months so I bought another - and another - and another. Thus the sickness began.
    little big feather likes this.

Started with my great grandfathers awesome pocket watch collection which has been passed down through the family, and I took it to a different level when I began buying vintage wrist watches at garage sales when I was a teen because they looked so cool.......
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information