Exactly how's Nomos' Swing System escapement different?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By faiz
  • 2 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 1 Post By CitizenM

Thread: Exactly how's Nomos' Swing System escapement different?

Exactly how's Nomos' Swing System escapement different?

I'ne been Googling, and I find plenty of information confirming Noncoms' Swing System is different, no details on how it differs from a traditional lever escapement.

Any insights?

Re: Exactly how's Nomos' Swing System escapement different?

I thought they were the same except the swing system was made by Nomos?

From my understanding the only visible difference is the blue spring of the swing system.
    I was not aware that is was technically different.
    I thought the remarkable part was the fact that they managed to make the assembly themselves.
    CitizenM likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

My take is it does not differ that much from other escapements. The big difference is that all parts are made inhouse at the Nomos premises to make No os independent from Swatch Group.
    So, what NOMOS manifested its independence from Nivarox/Swatch Geoup in the first place. And to quote Mr. Schwertner: “The hardest part is not to make a spring, but to make the whole system work together.” So, they did not optimize an existing swiss system they constructed a completely new one and that's why Nomos needed the technical expertise of the Dresden University to get the system work together flawlessly; the spring has always been a Made in Germany product and still is, made by Carl Haas.
    The precision and the speed of movement, behavior, and thus the whole movement depends crucially on the new components. The technical specs may differ but not the technique as such.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 26th, 2014 at 20:22.
    little big feather and maique like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ahhh...thanks for the insights. That makes a lot of sense, because they sure look the same as other lever escapements. Indeed, manufacturing the hairspring alone is a technical challenge.

Plus, it's such a pretty blue!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm really excited about the long term implications of the spring system, and my next nomos will have one, but they were basically limited by the fact that it's a retrofit. It's as close to the original as possible. As they develop entirely new movements in the future, they will have more freedom to design whatever they like because they can make those parts now. So, for instance, we could hypothetically see a Breguet overcoil in the future. That wouldn't fit in the current movement and case, but they can now pursue those designs down the road.

So I'd say the importance of the spring system is two fold (currently). It's a very important business move for Nomos and it's important because it could turn into something horologically significant to the consumer in 5-10 years. But if there are technical improvements in Nomos' designs, they aren't claiming any of them.

Actually, being blue is also not novel. Hairsprings have been blue for a very long time, it's just not that common anymore.
    faiz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I'm really excited about the long term implications of the spring system, and my next nomos will have one, but they were basically limited by the fact that it's a retrofit. It's as close to the original as possible. As they develop entirely new movements in the future, they will have more freedom to design whatever they like because they can make those parts now. So, for instance, we could hypothetically see a Breguet overcoil in the future. That wouldn't fit in the current movement and case, but they can now pursue those designs down the road.

So I'd say the importance of the spring system is two fold (currently). It's a very important business move for Nomos and it's important because it could turn into something horologically significant to the consumer in 5-10 years. But if there are technical improvements in Nomos' designs, they aren't claiming any of them.

Actually, being blue is also not novel. Hairsprings have been blue for a very long time, it's just not that common anymore.
    Saw this over on a post on reddit:

Can I have the NOMOS swing system built into my watch at a later date?
    The Nivarox escapement, which we have used in all our watch models until now and are still using in some models, is of very good quality and ensures excellent accuracy. As long as there is no damage to any of the parts, the current escapement will not be replaced with the new NOMOS swing system. NOMOS Glashütte will gradually introduce this new escapement into all its watch movements.

I think the poster got that from the NOMOS site. Kind of depressing because I want a Tangante but now have to wait. If I pull the trigger now, I wont be able to get the new swing system :(

Not interested in the dates or the power indicators.

Thread Information