Expedition worthy watch for Africa & S. America
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Expedition worthy watch for Africa & S. America

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Expedition worthy watch for Africa & S. America

I will be spending alot of time in S. America and Africa in the bush on expedition and require some advice.

Currently I edc a Citizen EcoDrive Promaster (Japan Titanium model). Fantastic watch. It has a 40mm bezel diameter and that works out perfectly for my small wrist (wrist circumference is 7 inches). In fact this is the ideal sized watch for me, I don't like the bigger chunky watches that are popular nowadays.

Heres my dilemma - in developing parts of the world anything shiny is risky as it becomes a target for thieves and you set yourself up as a mark. Even if its a cheap watch, if it has shiny silver it will be assumed to be expensive.

I need a watch that is tough as nails, reliable and does not look expensive.

Can the watch cognoscenti here please recommend a suitable watch for everyday use that meets the following requirements:

1. Small to mid size (nothing bigger that 40mm diameter)
    2. Solar powered (I really like the ecodrive because of this)
    3. Good legibility of dial
    4. Waterproof to at least 100m
    5. Alarm function
    5. Not too expensive - this way if it does get lost or "borrowed" it doesn't pinch.

The Timex Ironman/Expedition series is easily available at the local wally world but I figured I'd ask here to see if there are any Citizen, Casio or other expedition worthy watches that should be purchased instead.

p.s. I checked out some G-shock at a local retailer. Man those things are HUGE and bulky, waaay to big on my wrist. I tried to go through their catalogue but so many models my head was spinning! I own an older GL-160 which I currently use when on expedition but it too has some shiny parts to it and gets a bit of attention.

Re: Expedition worthy watch for Africa & S. America

Sounds like you need a Citizen Field watch.
    ShaggyDog likes this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

A quick google search shows me a watch with a nice shiny silver bezel ... Its also 46.5 diameter with crown .... which as per my original post is not what I am looking for .....
    Last edited by nealf; October 21st, 2014 at 05:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Only one watch is suitable and it has none of the gizmos you mention....Rolex, it was designed to do the African expedition,
    darkest Amazon jungle.
    Oh, I've done the African, Central America jungle thing, wore a Rolex GMT.
    Last edited by little big feather; October 21st, 2014 at 05:34.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

G shock riseman is smaller than most g shocks and has loads of functions .

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nealf View Post
    A quick google search shows me a watch with a nice shiny silver bezel ... Its also 46.5 diameter with crown .... which as per my original post is not what I am looking for .....
    Look at the bm8180 specifically.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Looking at Citizen watches, there's only 1 model with an alarm, 100m or more water resistance, and less than 40mm - and it's definitely shiny. Over 40mm even, it's all fairly expensive at more than $500.

Looking at Seiko, it's similar, although there are a couple of all black solar options that are not too much bigger than 40 mm, and are a little cheaper (< $400) :

Seiko Men's Sportura Leather Solar Chronograph Watch - SSC273
    Seiko Watch - Men's Solar Adventure Black Ion Stainless Steel Chronograph - SSC079

Casio, as you mentioned, is giant - even in their classic line, if you want good water resistance.

Looks to me like Timex might be your best shot if you want no silver color at all.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Took my Citizen Skyhawk A-T to Sacred Valley of Peru and Galapagos of Ecuador in July. Performed well with bush whacking, rafting, snorkeling and very rough hiking. 200M WR rating inspired confidence and crystal held up well to some rough scrapes.

Had contemplated a Casio ProTrek, but the one I had my eye on, PRW3000, was outside the budget that was already strained on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bulova 1973 Deep Sea Chronograph "B"
    Seiko 7A38-7100
    Seiko Kinetic Sports 50 SKJ056
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T JY0000-53E
    Omega Seamaster "Skyfall" (blue) Aqua Terra 8500 231.10.39.21.03.001
    Tudor Pelagos Blue 25600TB
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon Black Dial SS Q1368470
    Farer GMT Automatic Ponting
    Casio G-Shock GW-M530A

I use the casio pathfinder PAW1300 for similar situations. They have newer models, but I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you really want to go truly expedition worthy, why not a sundial? It only misses out on #5, but beats anything at #2-4.

Really a G-shock or Timex Expedition is really the way to go if you want to abuse the watch. Not all G-shocks are gigantic. Only the ones at stores because people like gigantic pink discs on their wrists.
    Inca Bloc and s.erickson87 like this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information