Experience: Buying Pre-Owned IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Days in Komehyo, Shin...
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Experience: Buying Pre-Owned IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Days in Komehyo, Shin...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Experience: Buying Pre-Owned IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Days in Komehyo, Shin...

I had a family holiday in Japan early this month. I stayed for 4 days in Tokyo, and have heard about Japanese reputation on luxury goods (a good one!), I prepared some USD cash to bring there just in case I stumbled upon a nice watch with great price.

And that actually what happened.

My wife told me before the trip that there is a store chain named 'Komehyo', which is famous for selling second hand, pre-owned luxury goods. She is interested on bags (of course!), and this store also sell luxury watches as well.

We stayed at Shinjuku area, and from Google Map I managed to locate Komehyo location, which is within walking distance from our hotel.

Here is how it looks from outside:

Entering the store, you're greeted with a floor of ladies hand bags. I wasted no time to leave my wife looking at their collection, and took the escalator to 2nd floor, the luxury watches section.

Initially I didn't expect to see anything interesting, as the first corner I saw was a section full of Rolexes and Omegas. Well, I have a Submariner, but it's not another Rolex that I'm looking for. So I started to circle the floor around. Btw, here is how the store looks like. It's very representative, and almost look like an AD one. Just give you enough confidence to ensure that the watches are original:

And to my pleasant surprise, at the small IWC section, I spotted this beauty: IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Days, the blue hands + blue leather strap version (Ref: 500705). I've been aiming this watch for two years, albeit initially I was more attracted to the steel+gold numerals+black strap (Ref:500704).

But looking at the 500705 in flesh changed my opinion. It was simply stunning, beautiful. And as pre-owned watch, the unit was still in excellent condition. I wasn't able to identify one single hair scratch. The only sign it was worn before was the leather strap which show some worn markings. And it was sold at „833,149, which for tourist like me it was free of tax. Given the „ at that point in time was weaker in value to my U$, this watch was sold about U$7,100. A nice "discount" from a new price which sold from U$8,500-10,000 at Chrono24. And I knew, the price for this model in my hometown, Jakarta, Indonesia is above U$10,000 for the brand new, while the pre-owned at this quality is so hard to find! So imagine how excited I was. Not much later, I decided to take my hard-earned U$ and bought the watch!

The staff at Komehyo was very friendly and helpful. Although with quite limited English, the staff served me really well, including catering my insisted request to add one more hole to the strap to make it more fit to my wrist.

The watch came complete with the box, manual book and warranty card. It's no longer under warranty though, but the whole set made feel more confident you bought the real, original piece of IWC timepiece. Here how it looks like on my wrist on the day after while riding on Shinkansen:

And when I'm back in the office:

In the end, I was very happy with my purchase, and I'm even happier now learning that I made the right decision at the right time, as CHF 20% increase of value surely drive the price of this model even higher in Indonesia now.

As end note for Komehyo, I would recommend to anybody who is looking for quality pre-owned watch with good price. As I wrote in beginning of this post, Japanese is known for their fond of luxury goods. They love to buy and trade for newer models. So if you're lucky (like me), you may find your dream watch in such nice condition and bargain price in Komehyo. Oh, and my wife bought herself an LV too, also in nice condition and very good price. We're happy customers.

Note: Here I took some pictures for other watches collections in Komehyo, complete with their price tags. Look at them, and let me know if the prices are good?

IBeNimages & Words | My daily crumbs of interests
    Last edited by IBeNimages; January 26th, 2015 at 14:30.
    Domo, Armchair, devlred and 3 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Re: Experience: Buying Pre-Owned IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Days in Komehyo, Shin...

Congrats on a beautiful watch. I really do hope there is a Portuguese in my future somewhere.
    IBeNimages likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (Moonwatch)
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m (2254.50)

Re: Experience: Buying Pre-Owned IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Days in Komehyo, Shin...

Thanks for this thread. Will definitely keep an eye out for this chain of stores next time I'm in Japan. Before this thread I would never have considered/or even aware of stores specializing only in second-hand pieces!
    IBeNimages likes this.
    George

Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Montblanc Star Chronograph
    Montblanc TimeWalker Dual Carbon Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the comments. Yes, I think Komehyo did QA for the watches sold in their store. I came to other second hand watch stores, only to find their stuffs are not as mint as I found in Komehyo. You should give it a try!
    Using Tapatalk

That's a stunning piece, Congratulations!! It's not the Ref 5007 though, it's the older Ref 5001. IWC launched 5007 in 2015 with change in font, curved lugs, 2 instead of 1 barrel (for improved accuracy), use of ceramics in the movement among others. Nevertheless, can't go wrong with that price.
    IBeNimages likes this.

Never been to this shop before but I have purchased more than 5 watches from dealers in Japan,most of them are recently serviced either by the shop's watch guy or by the authorized service providers

Glad i stumbled across this thread, I'll be in Tokyo in early April, will definitely be paying a visit to Komehyo
    Instagram: @thewatchlobby
    Rolex
    - Submariner 114060, Day Date 118238, Oyster Perpetual Date C.1963
    Breitling - Avenger Seawolf
    Seiko - SKX007, SSA001, SBDC003 Blumo, SARB065 Cocktail time, SRP313 Monster
    Grand Seiko - SBGA109
    Citizen - NY0080-12X, NY0081
    Orient - Star Seeker, M-Force Beast, Kamasu (Mako III) Green
    Obris Morgan - Infinity
    TC9 - Bronze Diver
    Invicta - 8928C
    Bulova - 96A111
    GShock - GA100, DW-6900AC-2,GLX5600-1 ,
    DW9052-1V, G-8900SH-1D

And growing....

Go ahead Erks! You'll love it. Dont forget to bring your passport to get free tax price!

http://ibenimages.com
    Using Tapatalk

Komehyo has a lot of watches in stock.

I like to check watches in Sinjuku store because I live in Japan.
    Price is little expensive but Komehyo is good shop.
    Armchair likes this.

Nice, wish I’d known about this place a couple of weeks ago!

Those prices seem competitive enough for someone who lives in Australia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information