Experience with this pre-owned dealer?

Thread: Experience with this pre-owned dealer?

Experience with this pre-owned dealer?

Anyone have any experience buying pre-owned or heard anything about Altin Place in newport Beach, CA?

Re: Experience with this pre-owned dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinito View Post
    Anyone have any experience buying pre-owned or heard anything about Altin Place in newport Beach, CA?
    anyone?

did you end up doing business with them? i'm dealing with them right now and am seeking similar advice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've dealt with many, but never heard of them.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Has anyone had experience with this place? I'm about to buy a watch from them.

I dealt with Beck there a couple of years ago.
    It was a simple, professional and straightforward international transaction.
    Watch was as described, it arrived when they said it would etc.
    I ended up flipping the watch about 6 months later with no problems so can't vouch for their after sales service.
    No problems with my one dealing with them.

Cheers

So I figure I should add my experience for anyone else about to do business with them.

I saw a brand new, with tags, Tag Heuer Carrera CV2010-3 on their Ebay store. I did a lot of research on the watch and on their store. They have a great rating from Ebay and other sites including yelp and the BBB. So I decided to get the watch. There was a problem at first, the owner reached out to me that the watch had a small nic in the bezel insert and that he had sent the part back to Tag to be exchanged for a new one. Okay, can't complain. It was nice they reached out to me and let me know the situation. A week or so later they had mailed me the watch next day UPS which was also a plus. For the inconvenience the store was kind enough to extend their in house warranty an extra 12 months to a total of 3 years. At this point I'm extremely happy. But thats where it about ends.

I opened the box and wound the watch. All seemed good at first, movement was running smoothly and at first glance nothing looked out of the ordinary. Before I purchased the watch I did about as much research you can do on this watch. I know that the "-3" carrera meant that the band would be slightly thicker than the two iterations before, it would be 100m WR instead of 50m, I know that it has the cut outs in the rotor like the "-2" and that on the watch itself the model would be engraved "CV2010-3". When I inspected the band it was not as thick as pictures I've seen online have led me to believe. I also measured the band. 3mm thick. Should have been slightly over as Tag Heuer's literature said it should be 3.55mm. I admit this is a small detail and that my ruler isn't the most accurate instrument. Another thing I noticed was that the serial number engraving was extremely difficult to see. It looked like it was barely engraved at all. Pictures I've seen online show the serial number being much more prominent. Finally to top it off, the chronograph didn't work. The large second hand would get about 15 seconds in and stop. Now let me just say I have used automatic watches before. I have owned an aquaracer for 6 years and am well aware of how to wind a watch. So I know that it wasn't due to the spring being wound down. I was able to get it past one minute and the minute dial didn't register at all. All in all, this is not as advertised.

The next day I went into bloomingdales just to look at the carreras. (I was surprised to see they had a CV2010-3 in stock since its been discontinued for a little while now. Replaced by the Fangio model.) I particularly wanted to see how thick the bracelet was and how visible the serial numbers were on one of these from an AD. What I saw was a very clear difference. The bracelet was noticeably thicker and the serial numbers were visible and deeply engraved. So, in the end, the watch is being sent back.

Even though the movement looks legit, I’m not convinced the watch is real. I’m definitely convinced the watch is NOT brand new. If anything its refurbished. Even still, not good enough for me, especially because of the misrepresentation.

I don't know if they are knowingly selling fakes or if they got a bad deal but in any case make sure you do plenty of research before doing business with them. They are extremely nice and helpful but I question the merchandise they sell. All the best future curious buyers.
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  107.4 KBName:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  100.4 KBName:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  96.7 KBName:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  87.7 KB

Thread Information