Exposed Spring Bars - Speedmaster - Need Opinions
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Exposed Spring Bars - Speedmaster - Need Opinions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Exposed Spring Bars - Speedmaster - Need Opinions

Just needed some suggestions/recommendations on my small situation. I recently purchased a leather strap for my Speedmaster with 20mm lug width. I was told that the leather strap measured 20mm on the lug side, but it's actually 19.2mm, thus leaving a bit of a gap. it's very slight, as shown in the photo. I've searched through the forums and read some of your suggestions; I even remember a fairly recent post about that poor guy's Rolex falling off his wrist while on a boat never to be seen again. I know the easy solution is to get another strap that fits properly, but based on my findings below, I'm unsure if that's necessary.

- The spring bars are the ones from Omega and fit into the lug holes tightly and without any movement.
    - I do not wear my watches loose, therefore there is virtually no movement at all while on the wrist.
    - Even with the strap moving side to side by 1mm (forced by my hand), it does not affect the spring bars, as they stay in place without movement.

I've read in other threads that with the 1mm give, the movement back and forth may cause a spring bar failure. In this case, though, there is virtually no spring bar movement with strap movement - and the strap barely moves. The only thing I can think of is if something small gets caught between the space and pulls hard. Anyway, not sure if I'm being overly paranoid here. I like the strap, so I'd rather keep it rather than thinking about replacing it. Your thoughts and opinions will sway me either way, FYI. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Exposed Spring Bars - Speedmaster - Need Opinions

Return the strap and get a 20mm. That one's 19mm and someone mistook it for 20mm.

I don't know about it falling off. That would certainly be a tragedy, even moreso than wearing a strap that doesn't fit. ;)

that strap is clearly more than 1m short of 20mm -nor i believe anyone would make a 19.2 mm strap [on purpose-]and there is at least a mm showing on either side - possibly its even a 18mm strap - needs to be right for both practical and certainly aesthetic reasons
    DM71 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ita

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Return the strap and get a 20mm. That one's 19mm and someone mistook it for 20mm.

I don't know about it falling off. That would certainly be a tragedy, even moreso than wearing a strap that doesn't fit. ;)
    Ditto...

That looks awful. It would drive me mad...

Ita
    Well, it's so good to be here,
    asleep on your lawn.
    Remember your guard dog?
    Well, I'm afraid that he's gone.

I can deal with a nato that is a little bit narrower but not crazy about this look. Send it back.
    hayday likes this.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Take it off! Take it off!!!! I see the spring bars!!!!! Arrrrrg!!!!!

That's a too nice watch not to put it on the proper size strap.
    rfortson and CMTFR like this.
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by jdallasries View Post
    I can deal with a nato that is a little bit narrower but not crazy about this look. Send it back.
    Only if your name is James Bond can you wear a NATO too narrow. And then, only on a Sub. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rfortson; July 3rd, 2014 at 16:42.
    TheWraith likes this.

I have a caliper at work, and the strap, at its thickest, measures 19.2. It's definitely not 1mm on either side, but it sure can look that way so I don't blame y'all. Man, I didn't expect this unanimous feedback!

I agree with the general consensus. It doesn't look good at all. Return it and get a strap that you know for sure is 20mm.
    pepcr1 likes this.
    - Jason

Very dangerous, I would not wear it. Those spring bars could be easily removed by flexing the band and is an accident waiting to happen. A knock or a bump on that hand/wrist could send the watch flying.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information