For fans of the Lemania 5100 movement...

Thread: For fans of the Lemania 5100 movement...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Off Topic post For fans of the Lemania 5100 movement...

I thought this development incorporated in the Breitling line might be of interest to the followers of the Lemania 5100. This links back to a thread on the Breitling forum regarding the newly released Skyracer. I hope it's of interest...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=22353
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Re: For fans of the Lemania 5100 movement...

Interesting but on which caliber is that caliber 27 based on ? on a 7750 or on dubois depraz 2892 movement? The 5100 was and is unique, I am seriously doubting that Breitling will be able to proporse something as sturdy and accurate as the 5100.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT
    I thought this development incorporated in the Breitling line might be of interest to the followers of the Lemania 5100. This links back to a thread on the Breitling forum regarding the newly released Skyracer. I hope it's of interest...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=22353
    I like it. In fact I like all chrongraphs with a central minute register; they are far easier to read than subsidary minute registers. How big is this watch by the way? I did not notice a specification for case size in the post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi George,

I'm seriously doubting that I could judge the qualities and performance of the movement as its only been released onto the market in the last five minutes.
    I'm waiting on first hand reviews and so far only one or two Skyracers have shown up in private hands on our forum. So I'm biding my time a little before arriving at my venturing a position on the suitability, durability, innovation, engineering, market position, performance, and general place in the cosmos of watch movements of the Breitling Cal 27. I just don't have that inside track on these things.
    Last edited by SnapIT; August 4th, 2006 at 04:05.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Hello Thomas,

I've picked up from the Breitling Japan site that its 43.5mm. Depth is not mentioned but 14-15 mm as an informed guess on my part.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

This isn't really a new movement, is it?

I love central minute totalizers, so the Skyracer (along with the Tag Aquagraph, Breguet XXI, and GP Laureat EVO 3) is pretty high on my wish list.

But the movement's got to be a reworked caliber 39. Since the Hercules is being discontinued, and the only real difference is the removal of the 24 hour hand, I'd suspect this is pretty much a caliber 39 w/o the 24 hour hand.

That being said - I like this design much better than the Herc. Moving to the 2 register design cleans up the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky
    Interesting but on which caliber is that caliber 27 based on ? on a 7750 or on dubois depraz 2892 movement? The 5100 was and is unique, I am seriously doubting that Breitling will be able to proporse something as sturdy and accurate as the 5100.
    The 5100 was a special movement, but Breiting's movements being as sturdy and accurate as the 5100 wouldn't surprise me. Sturdiness is a hallmark of the 7750 movement on which most of the Breitling chronos are based, and there are very few companies which do a better job of finishing the movements for accuracy. Review after review attest to superior performance from Breitling's finished movements. If there's one thing Kelek does well is the final finishing and assembly of the movements.

Quote Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
    The 5100 was a special movement, but Breiting's movements being as sturdy and accurate as the 5100 wouldn't surprise me. Sturdiness is a hallmark of the 7750 movement on which most of the Breitling chronos are based, and there are very few companies which do a better job of finishing the movements for accuracy. Review after review attest to superior performance from Breitling's finished movements. If there's one thing Kelek does well is the final finishing and assembly of the movements.
    IWC and Omega versions of the 7750 are better finished than caliber 13 and they also include vasts improvements like better winding system system, modified rotor and they are also adjusted to work on cosc accuracy.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever

Re: This isn't really a new movement, is it?

The breguet type XXI movement is a lemania 1351 modified movement which is way superior to the movement found in the tag aquagraph and the gp laureat evo3. The omega 1040 was the first chrono movement which include central minutes and seconds in 1971, the Omega 1045 (known under the lemania 5100) was first chrono movement offering day date, 24 hour display, central minutes and central seconds in 1974.
    Omega and Rolex for ever

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Off Topic post Hi, George. I think we all agree that the 5100 is

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky
    a sturdy, accurate and classic movement. The newly introduced Breitling caliber 27 implemented in their new "Skyracer" model is, I believe, based on the ETA 2892-A2 movement, a bit smaller than the caliber B13 Valjoux (now ETA) 7750 movement. In use, the ETA has proven to be almost as tough as the workhorse 7750 and both movements, as you know, are used extensively by Breitling as well as many other manufacturors. You also know that when Lemania no longer sold base 1873/1877 movements to Breitling the replacement became the ETA 2892's. With respect to your opinion and assessment, Breitling's Kelek division does indeed do a marvelous job of not only complete disassembly and immaculate re-finishing of the 7750's and 2892's, they also COSC certify every single movement after it is literally re-built from scratch. Breitling remains the only manufacturor in the world to COSC certify every watch manufactured which includes ALL their mechanicals and quartz models. The quartz models meet the higher COSC standard for quartz movements with Breitling's proprietary "SuperQuartz" thermocompensated movement. I am in complete agreement with WAwatchnut regarding Breitling Kelek "refinishing" and accuracy regulation. IMHO, the rework and accuracy is every bit as good if not better than IWC or Omega. In terms of personal practical usage and application, I own examples of all the referenced movements and subject them to quite normal and even rugged everyday use. ALL my Breitling mechanicals, even the ones from last century, ( ) run well within COSC specs and have all been subjected to some pretty rough treatment while flying, golfing, gardening, you name it. I do understand SnapIT's reluctance to opine on the caliber 27 in the Skyracer because one of the complications integrated into it isn't proved yet in long term use. That said, I have every confidence that the 27 will prove itself just as all the other Breitling mechanicals have, at least in my experience and knowledge. I hope I havn't offended you with this "testimonial" , LOL. We all have our points of view and regarding Breitling, Kelek and mechanical movements, this is mine.

Cheers,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information