WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Fashionable watches for around $500?

1K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Kangwan 
#1 ·
#4 ·
My phone is operating at a snail's pace, so I can't view the Movado to get a feel for your style, but if you're looking for some alternate brand suggestions, have a look at Frederique Constant, Mido, Hamilton, Tissot and Certina as well. All offer some very nice models (of similar quality) for around $500.

#5 ·
I am about to graduate college and would like to buy a nice watch for summer job/graduate school.

Movado Bold Silver Dial Stainless Steel Men's Watch 3600257 - Bold - Movado - Shop Watches by Brand - Jomashop

This is what I am currently looking at. I know citizen and seiko offer really nice watches, but I those Brands don't really appeal to me. Kinda of a douchy thing to say I know :(

Any suggestions?
Nah, you're not douchy for having a personal preference. Seiko and Citizen offer some great values, so they're worth checking out, but if none of them catch your fancy you don't want to have a watch you don't like just because it was a good deal. Hamilton and Victorinox have some good options in that price range, especially through the gray market. Personally I'm not a fan of Movado because of the way they stole their design from Nathan George Horwitt. The original watch with that design was made by Vacheron Constantin, but Movado started making cheap knockoffs and somehow hit it big. They never credited the creator or paid him licensing, but after he died they started including him in their promotions as if he was working alongside them the whole time. In terms of watchmaking, Movados are nothing to write home about either.

#6 ·
1. Purchase a watch that has a look you like or at a minimum can tolerate or learn to like.
2. Purchase a watch that has good reviews and a decent quality (such as ETA movements).
3. Purchase a watch that you expect to wear at least during your internship of a professional setting.
4. Purchase a watch you can read at different times of the day.
5. Consider a formerly owned watch from the classified section. You will likely get a much higher caliber watch for the same cost (more bang for the buck).

#8 ·
The Movado you like is quartz. Is that your preference, or are you open to a mechanical watch? Either way, take your time and (as suggested above) spend some time on the WRUW threads to get a feel for what's out there.

Reactions: OfficerCamp
#13 ·
#16 · (Edited)
I personally don't like the skeleton window in the dial, but if you like this one, it's a better choice than the quartz Movado. I have never seen an Edox, although it does have some history behind them, 132 years worth. I only buy automatics, but one thing to keep in mind is that at some point the watch will need to be serviced and it's not cheap. Some of my watches cost more to service than my Audi, haha! (It's funny, but I'm not joking)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.