FC Slimline Vs. Hamilton JazzMaster Thinomatic
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Preplaw

Thread: FC Slimline Vs. Hamilton JazzMaster Thinomatic

FC Slimline Vs. Hamilton JazzMaster Thinomatic

Long time lurker and watch noobie; I had a question that I was hoping someone could answer.

For Christmas I received the FC- 245M4SZ7 Slimline, which I personally find to be very handsome. I was doing some research online to educate myself about the watch and saw the MSRP was around $1700 (no where near what was paid for it, I was assured.) Yet, very similar looking models, such as the M5S5 retail for half of that. Based on what I saw, I couldn't really discern the difference; anyone willing to take a minute to educate the new guy?

Also, I was told that if I wasn't fond of the watch the other option that had been selected for me was a Hamilton JazzMaster Thinomatic; an automatic as compared to a quartz. It was at a lower price point, so the gift giver was reluctant to bite. While I know the general differences (and have been reading up as much as I can concerning them) would people choose the slightly cheaper automatic over the quartz?

Thank you in advance!
    MM
    MZhammer likes this.

Re: FC Slimline Vs. Hamilton JazzMaster Thinomatic

I'd take the auto Hamilton without question.
    Collection:
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    JLC Deep Sea Chrono
    Breguet Marine Grande Date
    Tudor Black Bay Black
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

The choice is obvious. The Thin-O-Matic. Its my latest watch and it is simply of superb quality. I highly recommend it.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Preplaw View Post
    For Christmas I received the FC- 245M4SZ7 Slimline, which I personally find to be very handsome. I was doing some research online to educate myself about the watch and saw the MSRP was around $1700 (no where near what was paid for it, I was assured.) Yet, very similar looking models, such as the M5S5 retail for half of that. Based on what I saw, I couldn't really discern the difference; anyone willing to take a minute to educate the new guy?
    The one you bought is smaller at 37mm, vs. 39mm for the M5S5. I know that the solid 18K gold version of the Slimline quartz is a 37mm (recently on sale for $1400) instead of the 39mm, so perhaps the reason why the one you have has a higher MSRP is that it has a thick gold plating on the bezel? To be honest, I think the MSRP of $1700 is grossly overinflated, and I wouldn't pay anywhere close to that for the FC-245M4SZ7. You would be much better off with the Hamilton Jazzmaster Thin-o-matic, as it's a better watch, and especially since it's cheaper.

The fair market value of a Frederique Constant Slimline quartz (unless it's solid gold) should be about $350-$500. During the Jomashop Cyber Monday sale, I got this Slimline quartz for $275.

At $500, the Slimline quartz is a poor value, and for about $650, you can get instead the FC-303, which has an automatic movement (ETA 2824-2 or equivalent).

The Slimline Automatic (ETA 2892-A2 or equivalent) has a MSRP of $1750, and can be purchased for about $1000, and that's another option to consider.

Last edited by mleok; December 27th, 2012 at 09:49.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I am biased, lets get that out of the way. I have handled but never owned a Hamilton and they are well made however as a dress watch I adore FC. They have great, understated wrist presence, superbly balanced dials and the quality is on par with my Omega... Really a terrific value and I will certainly be adding more from this brand.

Auto vs quartz is really personal. Almost everyone on here has a preference to mechanical (as do I) but they are more delicate, more expensive, and require longer services away from your wrist. Not everyone likes having to reset their watch if it dies, send it in for services and the whole deal. If you don't have a quasi-romantic attachment to automatic, I would recommend quartz.

My Freddie C:
    Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 1746
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  4982818907_30093f6a9b.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  4983414952_98470a195a.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  135.2 KB
    Last edited by MZhammer; December 27th, 2012 at 17:26.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Thread Information