The Fear of Vintage Watches.
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The Fear of Vintage Watches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Fear of Vintage Watches.

I`ll admit that I am still relatively new to collecting watches, but I seem to see quite the `generalized` fear of vintage timepieces. Now this fear seems to range from the simple, `I don`t know what to look for,`or `I don`t know if parts are available,` to the `how can any of you fathom to daily your vintage timepieces??`

For me, I find this mentality is somewhat silly. My daily watch is a 1974 Speedmaster MK4.5; a semi-rare model of the Speedmaster Mark line. While owning this piece for close to six months, I have never once second guessed subjecting it to daily activities - my only fear is sustained submersion in water (rain, washing hands, etc is fine). On top of this, I`ve got an early 60s Caravelle Diver with a cracked (?) crystal, jammed bezel, and as far as I know, almost no service history - this thing is resilient as heck, and still water resistant almost 50 years later.

All I`m trying to say, is that vintage is not something to be scared of. As long as you know your way around the model of watch you`re interested in, and treat it how it was designed (ie, don`t go diving with an Pie Pan Constellation...) it`ll continue to serve you very well. The 50s, 60s, and 70s were the golden era for a lot of the big name Swiss manufacturers - they`ve been around this long already, what`s to say they`ll die now?

PS - you can always have them serviced, then they`ll certainly be sound ;)

PPS - The biggest hurdle is finding parts for some of the rarer movements. It took my watchmaker and I two months to source a handful of not-so-sought-after NOS pieces for my MK4.5`s Calibre 1045. However, where there is a will, there is a way; just because your watchmaker can`t find the parts, doesn`t mean they aren`t out there. With his permission, I sourced them and asked him to install them.
    Last edited by eple; December 1st, 2011 at 21:44.
    cottontop likes this.

Re: The Fear of Vintage Watches.

I'd rather destroy something using it than preserve it by not using it.
    eple likes this.

Some may disagree, but I think if you stick with some of the higher-end houses, vintage watch will serve the purchaser well, as long as the watch is legit. Think Patek, ALS, JLC, Rolex, and a few others.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting perspective, thanks for posting. It now has me thinking maybe I should get my vintage watches up and running and out of the watch box!

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Most of my current wrist time is divided between 6 watches. One is a Stowa that dates back to October. The other five are Hamiltons from 1961, 1959, 1950, 1937, and 1923.

The 1923 watch out for a spin in the convertible:

Wear and enjoy your vintage watches!

Quote Originally Posted by coastcat View Post
    Wear and enjoy your vintage watches!
    I wholeheartedly agree. I work in a business office where the greatest danger is my own clumsiness at the sink. I frequently wear vintage to the office.

But...

When I get home I usually change into a sturdier contemporary watch, à la Omega Broad Arrow.

What keeps me away is the odd fact that over 95% of high-end vintage watches were apparently bought by the third world from whom I must entrust when I buy them on eBay.

It is odd, isn't it? I'm sure Malaysia is a nice country, I just had no idea that about a third of the population could afford to buy Pateks and Omegas a few decades prior.
    Toronto Pete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    What keeps me away is the odd fact that over 95% of high-end vintage watches were apparently bought by the third world from whom I must entrust when I buy them on eBay.

It is odd, isn't it? I'm sure Malaysia is a nice country, I just had no idea that about a third of the population could afford to buy Pateks and Omegas a few decades prior.
    Well, you must bear in mind that Omegas and Pateks were not considered particularly expensive a few decades ago. They were considered nice watches, sure, but nothing great. I am still constantly surprised by how popular Omega is in Asia. Hell, one of the local tailors here in Boston is an older Vietnamese gentleman, and he owns a really nice, genuine Calatrava. I was pleasantly surprised.

And that was true across the world. I own a few vintage watches (through inheritance) and my late grandfather's favorite Patek was just a regular watch that he'd purchased when abroad. He liked watches, sure, but to him, a quartz was the pinnacle of watchmaking. Back then, Patek and Omega were "dress" watches, and Rolex was the "showoff" watch -- but even so, while relatively expensive, it was still quite affordable.

The chasm has gotten much wider in the past couple of decades. If I were to tell my grandfather that I wanted to buy a $20,000 Lange, he would think I was crazy and disown me. Fortunately, I already have his inheritance.
    Last edited by Metlin; December 2nd, 2011 at 00:36.
    eple, v76 and Ovalteenie like this.

I was once attacked by a clown wearing a vintage watch.

*Shudders*

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBaconGod View Post
    I was once attacked by a clown wearing a vintage watch.

*Shudders*
    Running into mirrors can sometimes be scary.
    AngryBaconGod and v76 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information