Feature you didn't know you liked (until you got the watch that had it)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Feature you didn't know you liked (until you got the watch that had it)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feature you didn't know you liked (until you got the watch that had it)

So most of my watches were dark (black, blue) dials. Then some months back I got Ball HC Classic II, white dial with blue hands. I LOVE BLUE HANDS ON LIGHT COLORED DIAL. The readability is incredible, and there is such a beautiful shimmer of blue hands when light hits just right. Hard to capture in the picture. In any case I like this so much, I'm thinking about moving most of my collection to white dial/blue hands. Any other features you love that you needed a watch before you noticed?

And since a thread without pics is invalid:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Re: Feature you didn't know you liked (until you got the watch that had it)

After I sorted out what direction I was headed, how high above seal level I was, and what the current atmospheric pressure was, I was amazed to notice that this thing also tells the time? Neat!
    Name:  paw1100.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  59.0 KB

G-SHOCK's Auto EL!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A few:
    Big Crowns: I like how much easier they make winding and setting watches
    Power Reserve: There are well known reasons for the appeal of mechanical watches. Power reserve indicators are a tangible representation of what those things mean
    Radio receivers/Atomic watches: I got a Casio Oceanus recently and when I opened the box for the first time and all six hands started whirling around as the watch "woke up" and set itself in front of my eyes (For the next 90 years! In two cities!), I swear I had an epiphany. While I always appreciated/took-for-grant it the convenience of quartz watches, I was amazed that I now had a watch that could do all the things that watches costing at least twenty or thirty times more could do – and then some. I know there’s much more to the story than this, but it did change the way I viewed such watches.
    Metlin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
    G-SHOCK's Auto EL!
    +1, I need a light for my utility watch!
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by mpnap View Post
    Then some months back I got Ball HC Classic II, white dial with blue hands. I LOVE BLUE HANDS ON LIGHT COLORED DIAL.
    I have the same watch on the rubber strap and totally agree, it's a great combination.

The feature that I really like that I didn't know about before is the sapphire glass. Up until the BAll all my watches had mineral glass and inevitably ended up scratched and scored. It's so nice that the glass is still flawless despite two years of hard wear.

I just thought about another one. Quarts watches that changes date at 12 o'clock. It bothers my mind when the date changed earlier or later. I thought I got a flaw watch for the longest time until I learn not all automatic movement change its date at sharp 12.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    A few:
    Big Crowns: I like how much easier they make winding and setting watches
    Power Reserve: There are well known reasons for the appeal of mechanical watches. Power reserve indicators are a tangible representation of what those things mean
    Radio receivers/Atomic watches: I got a Casio Oceanus recently and when I opened the box for the first time and all six hands started whirling around as the watch "woke up" and set itself in front of my eyes (For the next 90 years! In two cities!), I swear I had an epiphany. While I always appreciated/took-for-grant it the convenience of quartz watches, I was amazed that I now had a watch that could do all the things that watches costing at least twenty or thirty times more could do – and then some. I know there’s much more to the story than this, but it did change the way I viewed such watches.
    To add to this great list:

Sweeping second hand
    : I never realized how much I appreciated this in an automatic until I wore one without it.

Compass/Altimeter/Barometer/Thermometer: I am outdoorsy person in that I enjoy rock climbing and hiking, and I absolutely love my Casio Pathfinder and Suunto Core for these features. I don't wear the watches when I'm outdoors, since it affects the temperature reading, but I do hang them around a carabiner on my backpack.

Date function
    : I travel a lot, and I always keep my watch on "home time", while my cellphones have the local time. When I'm in Asia, knowing the date is immensely useful given the date difference, as well. I can usually figure out the day from the date, so I find the day function to be pretty redundant.

Not a feature but the Perforated dial is something I didn't like at all until I bought my first watch with it and saw it in person.
    Last edited by Budabear; April 27th, 2011 at 15:00.

"Feature you didn't know you liked" more is the big-date. I can spot the date easily on my Dive Master LE, and it's hard to go back to a smaller date because I forget the date often.
    Best,

Tempvs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information