FedEx Advancement Fee
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: FedEx Advancement Fee

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question FedEx Advancement Fee

Hi folks,

So I just got an invoice from FedEx regarding " Advancement Fee" on a watch I bought from creationwatches about a month ago.
    Now I dont have a problem paying $13 dollars but I was under the impression priority air mail had all the fees included.

Anyone else had receive this invoice from Fedex?Charles.

Re: FedEx Advancement Fee

Have you asked Fedex what the fee represents?

kew

It looks like Creation Watches are in Singapore and you are in Canada so this advancement fee comes into force....

Fedex is great at charging these extra fees

About the fee, Fedex say

FedEx® Advancement Fee:

In some circumstances FedEx is required to pay certain duties and taxes in advance on our customers' behalf. For instance, FedEx may pay an advancement fee when countries require that duties and taxes be paid prior to customs' release or prior to certain items clearing customs. In these circumstances FedEx will assess an Advancement Fee surcharge that will be billed to the party designated to pay duties and taxes.
    Nathan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I get these all the time from FedEx, it's always a surprise, you never know what bills they will send. Hate it but not much I can do about it.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

For all international shipments on new products, FedEx is legally bound to charge a customs and advancement fee. Sometimes the retailer will pay it, but usually the cost is passed onto the customer and once you get the bill from FedEx, you do have to pay.
    Lots of dive watches.

I have received a GST bill from fedex saying that the GST about 41.93 and a duty advancement fee of $10, i wasn't expected this additional bill. I have call them to explain it. They claim that this is calculated base on 5% of the GST value at 41.93 = $2.0965 @ minimum $10 max $100.

I ask why wasn’t i inform of this additional payment? They keep saying that fedex is paying on the behalf of me. I am going to disputes this to fedex. Let see how they reply to me.

Based on my experience, it's my opinion that FedEx is scamming people. It's a legitimate fee based on a scam service, if that makes sense. They aren't happy with just collecting from the shipper, so they bill the recipient, too, and there's nothing you can do about it. Another reason I avoid them like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by atjs74 View Post
    I have received a GST bill from fedex saying that the GST about 41.93 and a duty advancement fee of $10, i wasn't expected this additional bill. I have call them to explain it. They claim that this is calculated base on 5% of the GST value at 41.93 = $2.0965 @ minimum $10 max $100.

I ask why wasn’t i inform of this additional payment? They keep saying that fedex is paying on the behalf of me. I am going to disputes this to fedex. Let see how they reply to me.
    LOL, good luck with that. 1.) they ignore you, you don't pay it, and they vindictively send you to collections and try to ruin your credit over their scam fee, 2.) they try to tell you it's a specific fee, unconcerned with whether you feel it's justified, and you have no choice but to pay it. Either way you lose when you use FedEx, unless of course you have no other option.

Whose responsibility was it to inform you of this fee? Was it the seller, who sold the item and arranged for shipping, and who presumably knows that additional duties and fees will be assessed? Or is it the Fed Ex driver, who should have told you at the time of delivery that you would receive a bill for these fees? Or should Fed Ex have contacted you in advance of shipment to advise that additional charges are due, and withhold delivery until they have been paid? Or is it the buyer, who should realize, when buying from an international seller, that there will be additional costs?

I don't see how this is a "scam." Fed Ex is pre-paying a duty and passing that on to you with a carrying charge. You may not like it, I may not like it, but if you buy from a foreign seller, you have to figure this as part of the cost of the transaction. If you believe that these fees are less likely to be assessed with some other shipper, then you should discuss this with the seller before it's shipped.
    Last edited by dbakiva; August 21st, 2013 at 17:49.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Please read the comments of Kew from February 2012 above. Fedex is collecting a fee required by your country and forwarding it to them. It is also common practice for large carriers to act as cystoms brokers and collect duties. If you feel the fee is incorrect then the Customs Agency in your country is the one to complain to. Fedex has become successful in the shipping business by playing by numerous international rules. Not by scamming and thievery as some on thus thread believe.
    Last edited by John MS; August 21st, 2013 at 16:20.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information