Feel like quitting - Page 9
Like Tree628Likes

Thread: Feel like quitting

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: Feel like quitting

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T. View Post
    OP, the problem isn't watches. The problem is YOU. It could be ANYTHING - cars, stereo equipment, motorcycles, ad infinitum (I know on those first three from first-hand experience).
    Now, I want you to comment on the "ad infinitum." Uninformed rants are much more fun to read than informed, thoughtful ones.

OP should simply quit it. The "being looked down upon by “watch snobs” part makes me think he's got far more serious issues to deal with right now than watches.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FIG-LX1 met Tapatalk
    imaCoolRobot and Dan T. like this.

Try to remember what drew you to become interested in watches in the first place and focus on that. Sure, there are jerks and snobs on every enthusiast forum (as this thread abundantly makes clear). The key is to focus on why you collect watches and not worry about why others do it or what they think of you.

If the negativity still outshines the spark that brings you here, then it probably is time to go.

Good luck whichever path you choose.
    Inthezone likes this.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sryan79 View Post
    Tired of feeling like I am being looked down upon by “watch snobs”. Frustrating is an understatement.
    it's you, not them.
    now what is that thing you are wearing on your wrist...
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    I think the problem is more inside the opening poster than it is with "watch snobs".
    I have my eye on a $200 solar quartz watch. If I bought it and posted pics in the Affordables forum, I'd get posts from people congratulating me on the purchase and there'd be a mini solar watch love-in.
    That's how things roll on this website. You can have a collection of APs, VCs and PPs but this doesn't stop anyone gushing about their Steinharts and Seiko 5s.
    maybe he's just posting in the wrong forums or working in derivatives trading where watches are a status marker. Who knows?
    I've been wearing my new Solar Tuna way more than my Stowa and Nomos and GShock put together...sad but true.
    I can't get enough of my Solar Tuna. The next watch I buy better be as good as this Seiko
    Name:  DSC_6426.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  520.0 KB
    I'm almost tempted to never get anything but Solar Quartz watches ever again.
    Ziptie and Kratsmoose like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatoes11 View Post
    Quitting is the right move. As the legendary Ricky Bobby once said.

“If you ain’t first, you’re last.”
    As Tupac said, "money bring biitches and biitches bring lies"

I pretty much haven't found a place that quote doesn't work.
    Dan T., natesen and vkalia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    I've been wearing my new Solar Tuna way more than my Stowa and Nomos and GShock put together...sad but true.
    I can't get enough of my Solar Tuna. The next watch I buy better be as good as this Seiko
    Name:  DSC_6426.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  520.0 KB
    I'm almost tempted to never get anything but Solar Quartz watches ever again.
    Meh! You are a Seiko Solar fanboy ;)

I look down upon you with my Seiko Presage Automatic Cocktail Time

Name:  Image 101.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  1.80 MB

Just joking mate!

Every time I hear someone refer to this as a "hobby" (or worse, "The hobby") I reach for my gun. (Metaphorically speaking; I don't own a gun.) Its not a hobby to just buy watches. Its an interest, perhaps, but they are mostly just jewelry. People who like to buy fashionable or interesting clothes and read fashion blogs don't refer to it as a hobby, they refer to it as "shopping." Buying watches is shopping, too.

Anyway, if OP is still following all this, I don't think owners of expensive watches look down on owners of inexpensive ones (like me) any more than owners of expensive cars look down on me when they see me in my VW Golf. Which is to say, some do, some don't, but its nothing to do with being interested in watches, its just true that some rich people are snobs. So, don't worry about it. Thats my take, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Now, I want you to comment on the "ad infinitum." Uninformed rants are much more fun to read than informed, thoughtful ones.
    I could count on one hand the WIS-ers here who would say something about that, and you're on the list, dude! LOL

Definition of ad ininitum… At least I didn't say "ennui," which is exactly what these posts give me, as they seem to crop up more frequently this year than they did last year...
    Weetabix, Seabee1, mleok and 1 others like this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

My WIS Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by TAG Fan View Post
    Meh! You are a Seiko Solar fanboy ;)

I look down upon you with my Seiko Presage Automatic Cocktail Time

Name:  Image 101.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  1.80 MB

Just joking mate!
    ah i stare down my nose at the fragility and imprecision of your 18th century technology. EMBRACE the Sun.
    Dan T., TAG Fan, CMSgt Bo and 1 others like this.
    ― Seneca

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information