WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feel like quitting

28K views 246 replies 167 participants last post by  John MS 
#1 ·
I am fairly new to this hobby, less than a year, and almost feel like quitting. Tired of feeling like I am being looked down upon by “watch snobs”. Frustrating is an understatement.

#7 ·
Sounds more like you are adverse to forum mannerisms, cheekiness, and conduct. IMHO watchuseek is a mild mannered forum.

#8 ·
Looked down upon for what reason? The brands you like? The price of watches you can afford?

There are snobs in pretty much any hobby that involves material goods. Cars, bicycles, motorcycles, boats, fishing... That's why there are enthusiasts niches In most hobbies. Why this forum has dedicated areas for affordable watches, fashion watches, quartz watches, and several dedicated to particular brands. There's no right or wrong way to enjoy watches or watch collecting. Ignore the haters.

#12 · (Edited)
I don’t know if it’s a hobby. For some it may be, the ones that learn and understand the history and know in depth, the complications etc. For others, it’s an appreciation of fine luxurious things. And others yet it’s simply collecting, like stamps or coins. We are all different, with different lifestyles, different walks of life. Maybe for most, it’s dreaming, like a desire for a Ferrari that may never happen. We all can’t be lumped into any category.

#13 ·
There is more than likely something in your price range that you will like.
Never try to impress others, you have to buy what you like and can afford.
Never feel as though your watch is any less important to you than others around you based on what you paid for it.
A $29.00 Timex tells time just as well if not better than a $29000.00 Rolex. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.
Yes the watch world does have snobs however every hobby has them.
And never,never,never, go into debt to buy a watch.

#18 ·
My advice is to just do your own thing. There are forums and watches that fit a lot of different approaches. Buy what you like and don't the opinions of others or the marketing of watch companies so seriously.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I am fairly new to this hobby, less than a year, and almost feel like quitting. Tired of feeling like I am being looked down upon by "watch snobs". Frustrating is an understatement.
Suggestion: Take a vacation for awhile from this Pubic forum....go hang out on the Affordables forum or another of your choice. Come back here down the road.

#21 ·
To the OP, what do you care about what a bunch of strangers think? A hobby should bring some enjoyment to you. If this hobby isnt doing that for you, yes quite it. I am not sure what you are expecting from the hobby. From your response earlier in the thread, I am confused what you are expecting from the hobby. If you leave the hobby, you will save cash. I do not see your issue with the response.

#22 ·
So it's a hobby not a competition. Head on over to Facebook and find a group you like. Most collectors are into watches not who's on top. Those who are have their own problems. I've met amazing collectors who are out there to offer their support and advice when needed. Great folks all over. Ignore the twits and move on. My absolute favorite is The Alpinist Appreciation Society on Facebook . Mad group of Alpinist fan boys and girls. Don't need the watch to join. All welcome. All respected.

#24 ·
Just out of curiosity, where are you encountering this snobby, all-about-the bling attitude? I mean, is it here in the forums...or when you’re out watch shopping, at enthusiast gatherings, etc?

If it’s here on the forums, I’d honestly be interested to see a link to an example thread. I don’t doubt that it exists here...and my response is absolutely not intended to sound antagonistic, but I think a lot of things here can easily be misconstrued. It’s the nature of the beast, as humor, wit and sarcasm are often misinterpreted in written conversation.

Anyway, just really curious. I also kinda feel that if you’re gonna make a “public” indictment like that, you should offer a bit more information.

#25 ·
I think the problem is more inside the opening poster than it is with "watch snobs".
I have my eye on a $200 solar quartz watch. If I bought it and posted pics in the Affordables forum, I'd get posts from people congratulating me on the purchase and there'd be a mini solar watch love-in.
That's how things roll on this website. You can have a collection of APs, VCs and PPs but this doesn't stop anyone gushing about their Steinharts and Seiko 5s.
maybe he's just posting in the wrong forums or working in derivatives trading where watches are a status marker. Who knows?

#85 ·
I've been wearing my new Solar Tuna way more than my Stowa and Nomos and GShock put together...sad but true.
I can't get enough of my Solar Tuna. The next watch I buy better be as good as this Seiko
Watch Wrist Blue Watch accessory Fashion accessory

I'm almost tempted to never get anything but Solar Quartz watches ever again.

#26 ·
I am sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. I hope you stick around, in the hobby if not the forum. There are watches for different budgets and always have been. If you go back 120 years, there were pocket watches for utility and pocket watches for showing off. It's always been that way with every product, ever.

So. One of my favorite watches is one of my cheapest, at under $100. But for two or three billion people in this world, spending $100 on a watch is a completely undeniable luxury purchase without any real utility or justification.

There are always strata of buyers, and there are nice people and jerks spread evenly throughout.

Be yourself, like what you like, and above all, enjoy yourself. The hobby isn't about anyone else. [emoji106]

#27 ·
I am fairly new to this hobby, less than a year, and almost feel like quitting. Tired of feeling like I am being looked down upon by "watch snobs". Frustrating is an understatement.
If it makes you feel better, the snobs endure a fair bit of the "your watch is overpriced because marketing and no better than something more affordable" type of thing.

#34 ·
Endure?

A remark like that just shows the speaker's failure to appreciate quality while focusing a narrow, beady little mercantilist, price-focused Walmart-shopper mindset.

And look down our noses. It only serves to reinforce our sense of superiority.

Did I pile that deep enough yet? Not to say there's actually not some truth there. I do get really tired of the "a Rolex is worth $500 max!" BS.

There's a variety of negativity you'll see here...quite often from a fairly consistent, small group of posters. It's gonna happen; we're not even all that bad here, considering the forum size. To be sure, there's times when things go WAY off course, but the mods usually quash it reasonably quickly. There is a degree of teflon coating one has to develop, to let the gits' comments slide off. Hey, figure THEY'RE the ones who are likely to be insecure. Or just insanely entitled. You can't touch that, so just blow them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.