The Fever strikes again!

Thread: The Fever strikes again!

The Fever strikes again!

I've got $1-1.5k, with 'watch' written all over it, burning a hole in my pocket.

Requirements:

- MUST be an auto (a 'sporty' look would be a plus), but not a dive or pilot watch (I've already got one of each of these)
    - I'd like to have a black dial cos that goes with virtually anything.
    - I'd like to be able to wear it with jeans/shorts as well as casual (to a restaurant or social event)
    - must be able to stand up to a little punishment as I might be wearing it hiking/biking/etc.
    - 20mm or 22mm lugs would be preferable as I have a lot of strap at these widths
    - It would be nice to be able to make strap changes easily

I've been looking at watches of WUS sponsers and the most promising of these is the Xetum line.

Any other suggestions? Please, nothing over the $1.5k; that's my high-end limit.
    Daniel

Re: The Fever strikes again!

How about this? Well under your budget. I think this may be MY next!

Hamilton Watch | The American Brand Since 1892

Quote Originally Posted by bassman25 View Post
    How about this? Well under your budget. I think this may be MY next!

Hamilton Watch | The American Brand Since 1892
    With your requirements I think a Hamilton may indeed be a great choice. Under budget but I dont think that thats ever been construed as a bad thing
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Hamilton has definite possibilities.

Do you know what movement it uses? Is it their own? If so, how does it compare with the Swiss movements (ETA, for example)?
    Daniel

Honestly, Hamilton build quality is awesome. But remember they don't use AR on their crystals, so yo will get lots of glare. I would suggest going to a watch retailer and trying out some different watches.

Sounds like you need the equivalent of an explorer type watch. Zenton just came out with a bronze watch that doesn't look like a diver and is 500M water resistant. No bezel, black dial. Cool and unique. Limited to 20 watches and just $1200. I think that would be an awesome choice. Or look for a used Omega Aqua Terra with the 2500 movement. Those usually land around $1200-$1500.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danielk View Post
    The Hamilton has definite possibilities.

Do you know what movement it uses? Is it their own? If so, how does it compare with the Swiss movements (ETA, for example)?
    It is an ETA movment, probably a 2824 in an Elaboré grade. If a flieger look is your thing, you should look at a Sinn 556. The can be had well within your budget.

Get a Damasko of some flavor.
    It will look new 20 years from now.
    Damasko - Uhrenmanufaktur - Regensburg/Barbing - Hersteller von mechanischen Armbanduhren.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

The Omega Aqua Terra 2500C (co-axial mod of the ETA 2892-A2 base) as already mentioned, or a Longines Legend Diver with the L633 date or no date version(ETA 2824-2 base). Both of these watches are marketed as water-use watches, but they carry a different look altogether (as in, you can wear it to social gatherings in nice clothes). Both of them will probably be used at the price you are looking for.
    Best,

Tempvs

The Omega Aqua Terra is too blingy for my taste.

However, I agree that the Zenton Bronze 500m is a real looker. I even emailed [email protected] and he's already got back to me. He gave me specs, some of which I could not find on the www:

42mm in diameter
    52mm lug to lug
    22mm lug width
    Movement is a ETA 2824-2
    Double domed sapphire crystal
    They will get a serial number up to 20
    Crown and caseback are steel but not finalized

He says they will be ready on March 18th.

I wonder how durable bronze is? How does it compare to the 316L steel that so many other watches use?

Does anyone know where Zenton is based out of?

I've also looked a the Hamilton but it just does not click for me. However, I wonder what it means that a movement is 'Elabore'?
    Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Honestly, Hamilton build quality is awesome. But remember they don't use AR on their crystals, so yo will get lots of glare. I would suggest going to a watch retailer and trying out some different watches.

Sounds like you need the equivalent of an explorer type watch. Zenton just came out with a bronze watch that doesn't look like a diver and is 500M water resistant. No bezel, black dial. Cool and unique. Limited to 20 watches and just $1200. I think that would be an awesome choice. Or look for a used Omega Aqua Terra with the 2500 movement. Those usually land around $1200-$1500.
    Daniel

Thread Information