A few observations on Swiss watches from my trip to Switzerland
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A few observations on Swiss watches from my trip to Switzerland

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

A few observations on Swiss watches from my trip to Switzerland

Just thought I'd share a few things I have noticed....

-they're very eager to cash in on "Swiss made" goods, lots of little sundry stores here have cheapy "Swiss made" watches for 50-100 francs
    -I have been asked by several salespeople at higher end watch stores "what is with american's obsession with Rolex?" All three that I talked to said that about 90% of the Rolex watches they sell are to Americans who come in and the only thing they want is Rolex. Mind you in all three stores I visited you would have to walk past JLC, IWC, Omega, Patek, VC, ALS, and many others to get to the Rolex counter...
    -Very big presence by the less popular albeit it nice Swiss brands, lots of Mido, Epos, Edox, Certina, Fortis, Tissot, Longines, Oris
    -Prices not as bad as I would have thought...same as US
    -salespeople were very impressed with knowledge of movements and brands and history, I'm guessing most of their clientele are the ultra wealthy just buying what looks nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: A few observations on Swiss watches from my trip to Switzerland

So... Did you like it here? Did you buy anything?

PS: my contacts at my Rolex AD told me that the majority of folks buying Rolex are Asian tourists, mostly Chinese. I witnessed myself once about a couple of dozens of them entering the AD in one shot...
    Last edited by Legion681; October 15th, 2015 at 12:53.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

You'd think that when Swiss dealers are scratching their heads wondering what all the hullabaloo is about Rolex, Americans (and the rest of the obsessed world) would engage in a moment of introspection and stop gushing.
    Squirrelly likes this.
    If you never believe in anything, you'll never be disappointed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HerrNano View Post
    You'd think that when Swiss dealers are scratching their heads wondering what all the hullabaloo is about Rolex, Americans (and the rest of the obsessed world) would engage in a moment of introspection and stop gushing.
    I don't think so, at the price point of a standard steel Rolex sports model you're going to struggle to find anything that offers the complete package of history/prestige/quality/style that Rolex does. Of course 'style' is subjective but Rolex's success speaks for itself.
    mleok likes this.

You can see why this is though. Rolex have the brand image many people want and looking into the complexities/costs of ownership they have it nailed with their 5 year warranty and 10 year service periods. I have always avoided Rolex in the past simply because they were so ubiquitous, but even I am having to reconsider this position. The likes of Breitling, Omega etc. will really have to raise their game in my view if they want to keep attracting customers who are just looking for a quality watch, rather than something to add to a collection.
    mleok likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion681 View Post
    So... Did you like it here? Did you buy anything?

PS: my contacts at my Rolex AD told me that the majority of folks buying Rolex are Asian tourists, mostly Chinese. I witnessed myself once about a couple of dozens of them entering the AD in one shot...
    I wonder why they would do that when they can easily get the same in Shanghai, Hong Kong or Taipei. Americans can also buy the same at home. Not doubting, just curious. Maybe it's so they can say they bought it in Switzerland.
    aardvarkbark and Stelyos like this.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by sgmartz View Post
    Just thought I'd share a few things I have noticed....

-they're very eager to cash in on "Swiss made" goods, lots of little sundry stores here have cheapy "Swiss made" watches for 50-100 francs
    -I have been asked by several salespeople at higher end watch stores "what is with american's obsession with Rolex?" All three that I talked to said that about 90% of the Rolex watches they sell are to Americans who come in and the only thing they want is Rolex. Mind you in all three stores I visited you would have to walk past JLC, IWC, Omega, Patek, VC, ALS, and many others to get to the Rolex counter...
    -Very big presence by the less popular albeit it nice Swiss brands, lots of Mido, Epos, Edox, Certina, Fortis, Tissot, Longines, Oris
    -Prices not as bad as I would have thought...same as US
    -salespeople were very impressed with knowledge of movements and brands and history, I'm guessing most of their clientele are the ultra wealthy just buying what looks nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't know why you think Tissot is a less popular brand. I believe there are more Tissot branded watches sold than Rolex branded watches.
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by obomomomo View Post
    I wonder why they would do that when they can easily get the same in Shanghai, Hong Kong or Taipei. Americans can also buy the same at home. Not doubting, just curious. Maybe it's so they can say they bought it in Switzerland.
    Probably cheaper to buy the watch in Switzerland over China.

Also there is a persistent notion in Asia that whatever ends up there is somehow not 'A' grade. Buying in Switzerland completely avoids that, plus bragging rights. And when reselling something that comes with a box and warranty card stamped by an AD in Geneva, that's arguably an easier sell than when it says Shanghai or even Hong Kong.

In general in Luxury Retail, the less hints about any non-European location anywhere on or near the product, the better it is. This is a big deal also for packaging materials for example: when a luxury brand can get away with not printing 'made in vietnam' on a shoebox or shopping bag then they will absolutely do that. (And only have the 'made in' version of the same packaging for countries where that's mandatory.)
    Last edited by hantms; October 15th, 2015 at 15:01.

I suspect when the Rolex AD said "Asians", they meant Mainland Chinese tourists - not persons from HK or Taipei.

As already mentioned in many other threads, there is a stiff luxury tax on most Swiss-made watches in China, so yeah, it makes sense they would make a beeline for the Rolex AD (or any other brand that catches their fancy).
    Last edited by Watch Fan in Beijing; October 15th, 2015 at 15:08.
    aardvarkbark likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information