A few questions about PVD

Thread: A few questions about PVD

• Does PVD "fade" or wear away at all, or does it only suffer from scratches as a result of physically colliding with other objects in the environment?
    • How does PVD react to weather, be it rain, sun/UV, natural temperature ranges, etc.
    • I understand that PVD can take scratches over time. However, from the location of a scratch, does it then peel or flake away, or otherwise get worse as a direct result of a previous scratch...similar to the way car paint, one rusted through at a small point, will then peel away from the original location of the damage, thereby vastly exacerbating the original problem...or alternatively, does a PVD scratch, right down to the shiny metal beneath, remain confined to its original extent and expanse practically forever?

Thanks.

Banned

Bump. I'd like to know too

sys

Re: A few questions about PVD

I've had my Steinhart Ocean Black DLC for less than a year so I can't tell you "over time" but so far the coating hasn't faded or anything like that. No weather damage either; I've worn it in Korean winter and Australian summer. I can't speak to salt water, since I don't wear it swimming but rain and snow don't have any negative effects. I have dinged it in a couple places, but the damage hasn't spread or flaked. Hope this helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Thank you. I scratched a link sizing my speedhawk and was worried

Every PVD watch I've owned has shown noticable wear on the bracelet over time. I don't have any experience with DLC, which is a form of PVD, but I've heard it's much stronger.

I've never had the PVD flake off from a scratched are either.

Thanks everyone.

I have one PVD watch, which so far has not suffered any loss of the coating and seems impervious to scratches. I am however, uber careful with my watches. The watch has a silicon band, but the buckle is PVD and it hasn't suffered anything either.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Thread Information