Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Filson introduces new watch collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

Filson introduces new watch collection

Name:  Filson Watches 2.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  161.2 KB

Well regarded Seattle based outfitter, Filson, established in 1897, introduces its first watch collection. Known for their rugged durable products, Filson has teamed up with Shinola and crafted a wide range of watches to enhance the outdoor enthusiasts’ lifestyle. Assembled by hand in Shinola’s Detroit watch factory, the watches are built for the outdoors with uncompromising quality. The Filson watch collection includes two case designs and 25 styles.

Attachment 2754394

The Mackinaw Field watches are built for everyday field use, including both three-hand and chronograph versions. The Journeyman is available as a GMT and chronograph, both with a World-Timer feature.

Name:  Filson Watches 3.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  268.0 KB

Every style is rated 20 ATM with a screw-down crown and sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating. Staying true to Filson’s signature materials, the straps are made with Bridle Leather and Dry Tin Cloth, along with nylon, rubber, and Horween leather.

"Filson and Shinola share a dedication to American manufacturing and products that are built to last. We are proud to join forces with Shinola to create these watches built for action using materials of the highest standards,” Filson President, Gray Madden

Name:  Filson Watches.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  165.2 KB

The watches will retail between $600 and $1,100 and will be available through Filson stores, via filson.com, and select retailers from March 2015. The 2 Journeyman rubber strap styles will be introduced and available for purchase in April 2015. Every Filson watch is guaranteed for life under the terms and conditions of the warranty.

Visit the Filson website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; January 27th, 2015 at 15:49.

Re: Filson introduces new watch collection

If the short hands and date window didn't kill it for me, the quartz movement and $600 price tag surely do. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpicasso View Post
    If the short hands and date window didn't kill it for me, the quartz movement and $600 price tag surely do. Pass.
    Agreed

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like and wear Filson products but at $600.00 I won't even ask to see it.

I've never held a Shinola in person but the stock photos don't look very impressive and neither do these. I'm not in love with the style or the price, but the bund strap is cool.

I just received a catalogue for these. At $200, maybe. But honestly, they make little sense, even excluding the price they are frankly too large to be practical. Just looking at the guys in the pictures with them, they strike me as much to obtrusive and likely to catch on straps, etc. Plus the Filson marketing feels so over-the-top for watches that all acknowledge are mostly Swiss and Chinese, even if they are "assembled by hand" in America by Chuck Norris himself.

My wife loves her Shinola because of the design. But close inspection reveals what I can only describe as overall chintziness. Dial, markers, hands, bezel, etc. Just chintzy. Then factor in the price, and one realizes how much better one can find, beginning with a humble Seiko 5 field watch and working through to the $1000 price point.
    Current Rotation: Seiko SARB017, Seiko SARB035, Seiko SKX013, Seiko World Timer (c. 1970).
    Box Sitters: 1972 Zodiac Astrographic (Yeah, baby!), Patek Calatrava (I bring that out for special occasions).

Obviously, I'm not going to buy one of these joints - neither will most of the people on this site. But the implication is kinda interesting. Shinola is so well received and respected by the general fashion watch consuming public, that Filson has sought out a partnership with them.

I'm sure Filson will sell a lot more watches with the well-marketed Quartz, "Argonite" movement than without.

I would know. I'm living in the land where people ask me if the Sinn I've got on is a Shinola because they equate "good looking watch" with the Shinola brand.
    Follow me on Instagram: @docmakmak
    https://www.instagram.com/docmakmak/

....Argonite..
    Is SUPERMAN allergic to that?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Wow, those are expensive. But, obviously someone thinks these will sell, and if they do it's a good sign for the watch industry.

It's interesting that "outdoorsy" has become a watch fashion. I'd want something slightly smaller with more legible hands (and with crown guards) if I were actually going to wear these for outdoor activities. Notice also that the bezel is knobbed for easy gripping, but it doesn't seem to actually turn, so... that knobbing is just going to make it easier to get the watch caught on things. What we have here is the equivalent of a "desk camper," which I find kind of fascinating.

I received the new catalog with their special watches insert. Very slick marketing, in line with Filson's recent campaign to appeal to higher upscale customers. Filson has always portrayed itself as carrying the best quality merchandise, which as a long time user, I will subscribe to. The choice to partner with Shinola seems to me to be correct if the goal is to make the highest profit featuring a U.S. product, but they missed going with the Detroit line of watches, also made in Detroit, in keeping with their claim to offer the best quality goods. The Detroit watches are automatics which would appeal to those seeking "the best," but the Shinola quartz will of course have a much wider appeal.

Hang, the Filson/Shinola watches with Filson's outdoorsy designs are very attractive and I would be interested myself if I didn't already have too many watches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information