Finally got the King! My newest Hammy is here (Hamilton Khaki King Day Date)
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Finally got the King! My newest Hammy is here (Hamilton Khaki King Day Date)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Finally got the King! My newest Hammy is here (Hamilton Khaki King Day Date)

A few days ago I shared the story of having to return my Hammy Khaki King back to Jomashop. Well, the exchange has arrived, and it is in pristine condition. Thanks again Jomashop.

This is a review of the watch after 24 hours on my wrist.

AESTHETICS 5/5:

The Khaki King is a very manly watch. Despite being only 40 mm, it wears large, and looks just perfect on my 7.75 inch wrist. The dial has a nice circular texture design that goes around the arabic numbers on the dial (see picture below.) The crown guard protector makes the watch look more like a 42mm watch, and the illusion is aided by the fact that without a large bezel, the dial is larger than on your typical 42 mm divers watch.

The hour hands are winners in my book. They are styled in the same manner as a Hamilton military watch from 60 years ago, and the 24 hour dial markers scream classic vintage military. The day/date feature is a very interesting touch. I did not expect to see such features on a $360 watch (what I paid for it) or even at the regular $540 MSRP. You normally see such features on more expensive watches, and when you come across them in watches at this price point, they are usually poorly executed. But not here, Hamilton knocked it out of the ball park.

THE MOVEMENT 5/5

The heart of this watch is an ETA 2834-2. Hamilton is well known for utilizing all the existing variations of the typical ETA movements one comes across, and this one is no different. As the name suggests, the ETA 2834-2 is the workhorse ETA 2824-2 with modifications to accommodate a day/date complication.

Hamilton uses the Elabore grade (mid-grade) ETA 2834-2, which utilizes the INCABLOC shock protection movement

This is a huge upgrade on your standard ETA Elabore movement, which normally would only carry an Etachoc for shock protection. In fact, you would not see this upgrade on any watch with an ETA elabore movement, unless the watch was priced at $1,000 or above. But Hamilton went the extra mile and did it all for a $540 watch. I like that.

So far the watch has been accurate over the last 24 hours...+1 seconds.

FIT AND FINISH 4/5

The numbers on the dial are perfect, the writing on the dial is also perfect, and the dial itself is completely clean of blemishes. The case is also perfect, and so is the movement as seen through the the back display case. So why do I give 4/5 to this watch for fit and finish when it is as clean as one would expect a watch to be at this price range?

It's not because the movement is not highly decorated, because at this price point it does not need to be at all.

The flaw is that the bezel is mirror polished while the rest of the case has a nice brushed polish to it. This makes the bezel a scratch magnet. It doesn't bother me, but it could bother someone with OCD.

THE LEATHER STRAP 3/5

This has always been Hamilton's weakness. If you get one with a leather strap, don't expect to be blown away by it. It is stiff as a board, though I grade it generously because I know it will eventually be broken in start to feel pleasant around my wrist. The leather strap on my Hamilton Thin-O-Matic was just as bad when I got it, but now it is nicely broken in and feels nice.

Final Verdict 17/20

It is a good looking watch with a solid movement inside. The only weakness was the bezel finish, and the leather strap which I can either swap out or wait while it breaks in.

Anyway, here is another picture of the movement to close the review.

Last edited by American Eagle; February 2nd, 2013 at 23:30.
    Ottovonn, CMTFR, wwarren and 1 others like this.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

Re: Finally got the King! My newest Hammy is here (Hamilton Khaki King Day Date)

Congrats on the Khaki King pick up. It's my favorite piece out of all Hamilton's offerings.

My Khaki King has picked up a lot of scratches in its time spent abroad. I lent the watch to my dad who works overseas with the Navy. He used it as a beater, so when I received it a month ago, it looked like hell: scratched up and covered in some unknown paint-substance. I was impressed with its toughness, as it was most likely exposed to the salty ocean air and the elements for nearly a year. I wear mine often to remind myself that I can be just as cool as Dr. House, who also wore a Hamilton Khaki King for about three seasons. Wear yours in the best of health.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; February 2nd, 2013 at 23:27.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Finally got the King! My newest Hammy is here (Hamilton Khaki King Day Date)

Glad you finally got your Hammy after you had to send the first one back. From one confirmed Hamilton fan to another, congrats on the great watch and thanks for the review!
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Finally got the King! My newest Hammy is here (Hamilton Khaki King Day Date)

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Congrats on the Khaki King pick up. It's my favorite piece out of all Hamilton's offerings.

My Khaki King has picked up a lot of scratches in its time spent abroad. I lent the watch to my dad who works overseas with the Navy. He used it as a beater, so when I received it a month ago, it looked like hell: scratched up and covered in some unknown paint-substance. I was impressed with its toughness, as it was most likely exposed to the salty ocean air and the elements for nearly a year. I wear mine often to remind myself that I can be just as cool as Dr. House, who also wore a Hamilton Khaki King for about three seasons. Wear yours in the best of health.
    Wow, that is a great story. Do you have a picture of it as it looked when your dad returned it to you?
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

That will be a nice casual wear. Congrats on your new Hamilton!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Name:  KhakiKing.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  105.7 KB

I took this picture after I cleaned it up. I couldn't help but polish the bezel up -- though a lot of the scratches are still visible -- and scrape off most of the weird paint gunk. Some of it is still visible on the crown guards. Despite all that and a little amateur clean up, I think it looks good and the marks give it character.
    American Eagle likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Great looking watch and an excellent review. I'm going to be picking up the GMT model sometime soon, Hamilton makes a great watch.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

Great review, been looking at these for a while and i think you have convinced me it would be a good choice.Very nice congratulations.

Congrats on the new watch. Great review and photos! I can't decide which I like better, the King or the Field Auto 42mm. I really like the crown guards on the King, but I like the 42 mm size on the Field Auto. I agree about the straps, Hamilton usually cheaps out on them, but I usually wear a bracelet anyway so that doesn't bother me. Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by wwarren View Post
    Congrats on the new watch. Great review and photos! I can't decide which I like better, the King or the Field Auto 42mm. I really like the crown guards on the King, but I like the 42 mm size on the Field Auto. I agree about the straps, Hamilton usually cheaps out on them, but I usually wear a bracelet anyway so that doesn't bother me. Thanks for the review!
    As I said, the Khaki King wears big. In fact, it looks perfect on my 7.75 wrist. I would urge you to find a Hamilton AD in your city and go try on both watches and see them for yourself. You may lean towards the 40 mm Khaki King after you've tried on both.

But either way you go will be good. The standard Khaki field automatic is a good watch, and 42 mm is also a good size.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information