Finally realizing that watches on bracelets are not "dressy"
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Finally realizing that watches on bracelets are not "dressy"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Finally realizing that watches on bracelets are not "dressy"

Maybe it's just me, but it used to be that when I saw a metal bracelet on a watch, I thought it was more dressy because... well, because it's shiny.

I've got each of the four basic types -- leather, fabric, rubber, and metal. My only watch with a leather band hardly gets used when it's warm because I don't want to soak it in sweat. The rubber strap on my G-Shock (okay, it's resin, I guess) has been good so far, but it doesn't breathe too well. The fabric strap, a nylon NATO, has been sitting in the drawer; my springbar tool is broken and I haven't tried taking the bracelet off my daily wearer to swap on the NATO.

So, anyway. The watch I've been wearing the most lately uses a steel bracelet. I think it's become my favorite material for the job. It doesn't make my skin sweat very much, it rinses off easily and dries quickly, and it still looks good. I expect that it'll last for as long as its internal pins hold up, definitely longer than leather and likely longer than the G's strap (which may or may not succumb to "resin rot").

And, back to the point in the subject line, I've put metal bracelets into the daily wearer, tough-enough-for-anything, yet looks-good-everywhere, category. They've been around for decades because they do the job so well. I acknowledge that long-lasting rubber straps are very tough, but they just look junky with a collared shirt and tie.

Anybody else have a similar change of heart?
    Mollari 2261 and enkidu like this.

Re: Finally realizing that watches on bracelets are not "dressy"

I am probably a bit old-fashioned in this regard, but I tend to mostly wear leather straps in order to match with my dress shoes - black strap for black shoes, brown strap for brown shoes, etc. I'll mostly only wear a stainless steel bracelet to match with an odd leather shoe color (like a walnut) or with more casual attire.
    BarracksSi likes this.

Bracelets are definitely all purpose. NATO is super casual as well as rubber. Leather is the only choice for true dress attire.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by waldoh View Post
    Bracelets are definitely all purpose. NATO is super casual as well as rubber. Leather is the only choice for true dress attire.
    Yup, and one of the watches on my shortlist normally comes on leather. However, I'm pretty sure that if I get around to purchasing it, I'm also going to push for a bracelet from one of the variants of the same model so I can wear the watch often and leave the leather strap in better shape for appropriate occasions.

I agree, bracelets are not dressy.

Jeff

If I'm wearing a suit or sports coat, I wear a leather strap.
    Last edited by rjustice21; August 3rd, 2014 at 04:12.
    JeffW2 and sscully like this.
    Omega | Hamilton | Tissot | G-Shock

It really depends on the watch.
    I think for truly formal wears, nothing will replace a leather.
    But for all but few white tie events, I find a classy watch on a classy bracelet will more than adequately do the job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like all my dress watches on croc bands and if I'm wearing one, I'm in A/C unless I'm at an outdoor wedding ceremony or funeral.
    If I had to wear a dress watch all day at work in a warm atmosphere, then yes, a metal band for sure, thin light weight, not like a heavy diver type.
    Last edited by black watch; August 3rd, 2014 at 04:22.

Quote Originally Posted by rjustice21 View Post
    If I'm wearing a suit or sports coat, I wear a leather strap.
    Maybe not that far, for me. I'll wear a dressy sport watch on a bracelet with a sport coat. But the sport coat will also probably include brown shoes not of the dressiest type, or even loafers. So, for the sport coat, no problem with the Cartier Santos 100 (if the shirt cuff permits it) or the Zenith Captain, both of which are on tasteful and relatively thin bracelets. Even the Ebel Brasilia on a bracelet will be fine, given its similarity to a Cartier Tank. And, of course, the Ebel Sport Classic Chronograph would be fine in that attire.

But they are most at home with a sport shirt and slacks or khakis, which is my usual daily wear. With that attire, I can also wear anything that isn't overly dressy, but none of my dress watches are really that dressy. If the strap has contrasting stitching, it isn't really dressy.

With a suit, it will be something on a strap without contrasting stitching, and the same color as the belt. For preference, the same skin (my dress belts are alligator), but that really is taking it too far, heh.

I just bought a Movado Museum watch as the one watch I can wear when a watch shouldn't be worn at all. It's on shiny black lizard, but the strap is too short so I will be replacing it with something else--don't know what just yet--I'm waiting for the store to check if Movado can supply an extra-long strap for that watch. That's a watch that will do nicely with a tux on those occasions when one shouldn't care about the time. Everybody ought to have at least one Museum watch, heh.

I just feel more finished when wearing a dressy watch on a black strap, just as I feel more finished when my cap-toe Johnston & Murphy Aristocrats are nicely polished.

Rick "who has been guilty for many years of thinking bracelets worked with suits, but having learned better can't unlearn it" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; August 3rd, 2014 at 04:38.
    not12bhere, BarracksSi and joepac like this.
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Banned

I don't know. I think a bracelet can be dressy on the right watch. A two tone polished bracelet looks great with a tux. Leather always looks great.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information