From Finance to construction...
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: From Finance to construction...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

From Finance to construction...

As some of you know, I left my banking job a few weeks ago, and though I love spending time with the family...It is time to look at another career move. I have had the Hamilton Khaki King Scuba as my ever day watch. Works well with a suit and in a office.

Now I am considering a job as an account manager for a construction supply company. Which will have me in the field on job sites. I will also have to demo tools, from basic drills, up to concrete breakers.

I love my scuba, but don't think it is the right watch for that environment. I want to stay away from your G shock's etc. I am willing to go with a Quartz, but want something rugged, yet still...refined. Preferable under $1000.00.

I thought about just going to a simple like a Citizens nighthawk. What other suggestions?

Thanks for the input.
    Time is relative.

Re: From Finance to construction...

Quartz? There's no reason to get that desperate... What about a Seiko Monster (or maybe even a Vostok Amphibia). It should be more than tough enough to handle most of the abuse you can throw at it. If down the line, eventually the jackhammer gets the best of it, how much are you really out anyway?
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

What about a Sinn U1? You'd likely have to spend a little bit more than 1K, but it's a watch that'll survive anything you can throw at it.
    Doboji likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also look at some of Citizen's Eco-Drives, maybe Orient, and also some of the other non G-Shock Casio line, or a maybe stout composite diving watch?
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Panerai View Post
    What about a Sinn U1? You'd likely have to spend a little bit more than 1K, but it's a watch that'll survive anything you can throw at it.
    I love the Sin U1. But I just don't know if I can justify the price for an automatic, when I know that I am going to pound the heck out of the well demoing a jack hammer. I like mplamer's idea about a Monster. If I do fry the movement, I am only out a couple hundred. Then again IF I go with a Eco or Quartz I don't think I have to worry about it. I do have my Seiko snda65. But I guess I just wanted something a little more upscale.

Time is relative.

I realize your ideal budget is under 1k, however, a Sinn UX GSG 9 would be an excellent watch for "on the field" wear, imo! I think you can pick one up on the secondary market for not much more than a thousand dollars (say... 1200-1400?). It has an excellent quartz movement and is a "beater" watch in every sense. It will not look completely out of place if you needed to throw on a pair of chinos / button up shirt either, imo.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, you could always pick up a Seiko Tuna which would be able to handle anything you throw at it as well. I've heard that you can practically whip that thing against a wall and it'll still be ticking like nothing happened when you pick it up!

OzO

How about a Seiko SKX7 or 9?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

Go for a used Damasko DA36 or similar. New they're around $1100, used they're around 800, but they don't scratch so the used ones still look new.

I work on construction sites regularly and my Damaskos show literally no scratches.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/dama...ar-913024.html
    Last edited by Will_f; October 6th, 2013 at 08:19.
    Robotaz and David Kleinfeld like this.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

What about a Maratac pilot. It has a sapphire crystal, it's available in two sizes, and it has a readily available movement if you destroy it.

Sizzlin Watches also has some really good prices on sterile watches with sapphire crystals and bezels with quartz or Miyota auto movements.

There is also Bernhardt, along with many other micro brands, that offer sapphire crystals with easy to swap movements.

I know these all come in well below your budget, but I don't think you would flinch for a second if you happened to destroy any of these.
    bigvatch likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Marathon TSAR. Within budget, tough as nails and tritium! Love my GSAR but some of the things you'll be doing with it warrants a tough quartz IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information