Finding a designer watch

Thread: Finding a designer watch

Finding a designer watch

Being a big fan of watches (as we all are!) I often find myself trudging through countless websites desperately trying to find the best deals as well as the best selection to fit my budget. I am certainly not a rich man, so I have to come to terms with the fact that I can't possibly afford a luxury watch. One day hopefully I will make the investment, but for now I have to settle for a designer watch. I very much like a classic design for watches, but am looking to branch out from the classic "Tissot" or "Swatch" watches. One company I have found is "Lip Watches". This French company has a very broad range but I think has a few that I may consider. However, I am finding it quite hard to find many websites that have them for sale! I have found one excellent website called emporium of wonders, which does seem to have the best selection (as well as some outstanding luxury watches!). I was wondering however whether this company (Lip) is a well known manufacturer, and are there any other manufacturers which people recommend for a simple, classic designer watch?

Many thanks for your time, and if you're interested check this site out. I for one certainly recommend it as, so far, it seems to me to have the best choice for these watches.
    www.emporiumofwonders.com/designer-watches
    Last edited by AdamIlife; January 8th, 2013 at 15:00.

Re: Finding a designer watch

Lip is one of the key names in twentieth century watch design, but has a history going back to the mid-nineteenth century.

They were established in Besancon, in the heart of the French watchmaking region. They produced their own well-regarded movements. The quartz watches from the 1970s were radical and strikingly designed.

Industrial relations problems hit the company, resulting in bankruptcy and liquidation. As is evident from their continued presence, the name and some of the notable models have been resuscitated.

The internet should throw up more detailed information. Most of what I know comes from an excellent book - 'Watch - History of the Modern Wrist Watch' by Pieter Doensen, but the book is now out of print.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

How bout stating a budget?
    We can help you much better with one.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Cheerios
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for your replies. My budget was originally around £150 but i have since had a change of heart. Looking through different sites the other night I came to the realisation that a watch of that price just wouldn't do!..

I am now thinking about stretching my budget to around £500-600. This is only because I think I have found the watch I would like. That watch is a vintage Omega DeVille from the 60's. I personally find it to be a beautifully simple and classic watch, and I am really interested in the vintage factor.

Do you think this would be a good way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamIlife View Post
    Thank you so much for your replies. My budget was originally around £150 but i have since had a change of heart. Looking through different sites the other night I came to the realisation that a watch of that price just wouldn't do!..

I am now thinking about stretching my budget to around £500-600. This is only because I think I have found the watch I would like. That watch is a vintage Omega DeVille from the 60's. I personally find it to be a beautifully simple and classic watch, and I am really interested in the vintage factor.

Do you think this would be a good way to go?
    Yes.

Thank you.. I think so too.. I'm actually surprised at how affordable these vintage watches come in at

Quote Originally Posted by AdamIlife View Post
    Thank you.. I think so too.. I'm actually surprised at how affordable these vintage watches come in at
    Yep - especially omega. But bear in mind you might need a service which could cost £200.

Yeah, parroting geoffbot just to emphasize that service costs are something you absolutely have to consider in your budget. A cheap watch that hasn't been serviced in ten years probably won't be a cheap watch after servicing. If you can buy from an established watch shop or watchmaker, you will be more certain that it's been recently serviced and won't need another for years.

Note also that a vintage De Ville, although gorgeous, will come in on the small side compared to modern watches (and especially compared to modern "fashion" watches, which are often a little chunky). So, don't be buying anything online unless you 100% sure you're cool with the size.

Thread Information