Finding myself gravitating towards German watches
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Finding myself gravitating towards German watches

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Finding myself gravitating towards German watches

Interestingly I've found myself slowly gravitating towards German watches. First IWC, the most German of the Swiss manufacturers. And in recent time I've been most interested in the Lange 1, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Dornbluth Regulator, and MeisterSinger No 02 single-hand watch.

Also been taking an interest in hand-wind movements, which I'd never expected.. strange what a winding road this passion takes you on, no pun intended

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Re: Finding myself gravitating towards German watches

i know what you mean, they have quite an allure, i bought a stowa antea to find out it fit too small of my wrist for my liking so i sold it, now i kind of want it back

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Are you looking for a comment here? You're not exactly asking a question.

In my opinion, a good watch is a good watch, I find the pissing contest over what geographical area makes a better watch to be pretty laughable. There is certainly a fabulous handful of watchmaking brands in Germany and Switzerland, many of whom make thier own movements. There is also lots of "bleh". I have watches from lots of different places on Earth, and not because they fell from the sky and landed in my lap - because I wanted them and bought them.

If you are of the ilk that thinks a watch coming from ABC location carries a certain prestige worth getting up on a soapbox about, then thats fine for you. Personally, I find the argument to be about as logical as Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy, 40 Creek vs. Crown Royal: little more than the boasting of personal opinion.

Now, if you'll excuse me, as I gaze upon my Temption CGK203 I realize I must now drive my Explorer to the store so I can buy some Coke to enjoy with my 40 Creek.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Biased&Critical View Post
    Are you looking for a comment here? You're not exactly asking a question.

In my opinion, a good watch is a good watch, I find the pissing contest over what geographical area makes a better watch to be pretty laughable. There is certainly a fabulous handful of watchmaking brands in Germany and Switzerland, many of whom make thier own movements. There is also lots of "bleh". I have watches from lots of different places on Earth, and not because they fell from the sky and landed in my lap - because I wanted them and bought them.

If you are of the ilk that thinks a watch coming from ABC location carries a certain prestige worth getting up on a soapbox about, then thats fine for you. Personally, I find the argument to be about as logical as Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy, 40 Creek vs. Crown Royal: little more than the boasting of personal opinion.

Now, if you'll excuse me, as I gaze upon my Temption CGK203 I realize I must now drive my Explorer to the store so I can buy some Coke to enjoy with my 40 Creek.
    I was just making a comment.. that I happen to find my taste gravitating towards a certain type of design from a certain region. This post had nothing to do with any particular prestige or comparisons between Coke and Pepsi, or boating of any nature. You'll see that my current collection includes everything from cheap quartz watches, to Swiss in-house movements, to Chinese automatic's. I love horology in general, I'm not sure I understand the nature of your reply

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by portauto View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the nature of your reply
    Me neither.
    I'm currently hovering around Nomos Glashütte and thinking whether I should buy one new or try to find a good second hand. In no way I'm thinking it's German, I just happen to know it!

Pretty sure I'm going to get one, though.

Understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by portauto View Post
    Interestingly I've found myself slowly gravitating towards German watches.

Not a bad direction to go! Collecting things that occupy a particular niche can add to the enjoyment.

My Germans aren't quite in the same price range as the ones you mention, but I sure do like them.

Chronopolis likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biased&Critical View Post
    In my opinion, a good watch is a good watch, I find the pissing contest over what geographical area makes a better watch to be pretty laughable.
    "Pissing contest" I am sure you meant it in good humor, but I find it a bit over the top and borderline offensive to the OP.

As for the original post, I am in the same position as well.

As I am getting more familiar with watches (thanks mainly to WUS and alike), I have grown a lot of respect for many German brands which I was never aware of. I getting a Sinn 856s and a Stowa Ikarus is on order. And the notion of best watch company in the world for me is no longer Patek but A Lange & Sohne. Of course there are still many Swiss brands I really like but I think the concept of German watches has a certain sense of WISness to it.

Ali

You probably gravitate toward them because so many have the word "sohne" on the dial. Hahaahahahaha! Oh, boy! See the Sun is a giant object that all the planets our solar system revolve around and German watches have...

...now that that's out of the way, I know what you mean. I started out thinking that a few Oris and Hamilton watches would do, but there's just so much out there. One thing leads to the next and pretty soon you start to identify what you like and would rather disregard. When I first looked a Nomos watches I was a little put off by the sever design. Then the Orion grew on me, followed but the Ludwig and now I find myself staring at the Tangente - the most Deutscher Werkbund of all their watches. On the other hand, one of my early targets was the MeisterSinger which I've since given up on. Currently I'm afraid that in a few years time I'm going to be posting that I gravitate towards kooky looking watches like these (it could happen):

Name:  PAN178.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  Chronoscope Red.JPG
Views: 2012
Size:  28.7 KB

No way to predict though. I may go back to Oris (I have three anyway) or switch to four variations of the same Rolex sport watch. Who knows? Have fun, liking German watches is a pretty good place to be!

I'm all about variety. If I could afford to buy a bunch more really nice watches (and eventually I hopefully will, but not all at once) I would certainly like a nice Germany watch, since I don't have any. Some of Glaschutte Original's watches are pretty awesome, especially the movements with the reset mechanism. It's hard to get more original than that.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information