First Automatic - few suggestions appreciated

Thread: First Automatic - few suggestions appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question First Automatic - few suggestions appreciated

Worn resin Casio databanks my whole life, but now I need an everyday dress watch for work purposes. After lurking a bit here, I have really come to appreciate the intricacy of an automatic movement. Here's what I would like to get, please tell me if it exists:

Titanium (must have)
    Automatic (must have)
    Smooth sweep (another must. Really really fighting the urge to buy a Precisionist because of how smooth the sweep is)

Perpetual Calendar (would like, but I know this will likely jack the price, and I want to stay below 4 figures. not a must have)

Here's the wrinkle, I would really like if possible a watch where you can see even a part of the beating movement below the dial. I don't want a full skeleton (is that the right term?) but maybe a window. I'm really drawn to the constant beating, as it evokes a heart to me.

Please give me suggestions and other guidance. Thanks.

Re: First Automatic - few suggestions appreciated

Have you looked at titanium Hamiltons? They are good all around watches. They also have "open heart" models but, I don't think they have open-heart dials and titanium in the same watch. Best of luck.
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; February 18th, 2013 at 09:15. Reason: re-read price limit

Thanks for the quick response. There is so much to consider. From what little research I've done, I gather that the Spring Drive literally does not twitch. I also gather you can't get one for under $5K, much less the $1K or less I'm looking to spend. To answer your questions:

I don't like leather bands at all. All-rounder on a titanium bracelet is what I'm thinking. My job entails wearing a suit virtually every day. Smoothness is perhaps 28,800 bph or better. The main thing is that it's titanium for lightness, and smooth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, you were too quick for me. I revised my suggestion when I re-read the price limit.

Someone more knowledgable might have an idea but I think you're going to have to choose between the open heart design and the titanium. Just remember that the titanium isn't as important on smaller watches (like are traditionally worn with a suit) than on a larger sport watch with more material. They also sometimes scratch up more easily than stainless, well, their outer layer scratches....).

Orient (and their up market Orientstar line) make some really nice open hearts.

Seiko Spring Drive powered watches have exactly the same smooth sweep as Precisionist but they still heavily rely on mechanical movement and the spring. It's a hybrid movement thats using old school mechanism to store power and a modern quartz regulator (electronic brake) that is controlling the spring unwinding. Thats why you don't get any ticking, just smooth motion. But this comes at a price. Precisionists cost below 400 EUR. You won't get new Spring Drive below 4000-5000 EUR.

Personally, if you're unsure about the automatics, start with lower grade ones that are cheaper and still pretty good. So if you find out later that what you bought isn't exactly what you wanted it's not s bad as spending 5000 bucks on a watch you don't actually like.

Japanese are always a good place to start. Affordable but still very good watches. For Swiss, Certina, Tissot and Hamilton are a good start.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Thank you ken_sturrock for the suggestion. The Orientstar seems to be what I'm looking for in terms of the window. Do any other watch brands feature that window that you know of?
    I may have to rethink the titanium if you say small watches are still really light. My boss has a titanium Seiko which is an order of magnitude lighter than my coworker's stainless. I never forgot that difference after holding the two. Coming from resin watches, lightness is really important to me.

Edit: just saw RejZoR's post. I will look into the Certinas. Saw some nice Tissots, but they weren't titanium. Hamilton has a few that would fit but I don't like roman numerals, just marks.
    Last edited by Shott3r; February 18th, 2013 at 10:25.

Inactive

automatic
    <cough> Handwind

Oranges are not the only fruit

Weight is rather relative imo. When i hold my Orient Mako in my palm, it feels freakin heavy. But when i place it on my wirst i can't even tell how heavy it is. I feel it on my wrist but the weight itself doesn't seem to be percieved as such.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shott3r View Post
    ...Titanium (must have)
    Automatic (must have)
    Smooth sweep (another must. Really really fighting the urge to buy a Precisionist because of how smooth the sweep is)
    Initially when i saw these first 3 criteria... i immediately thought of...

A fun watch with Titanium case, optional titanium bracelet, automatic movement with smooth sweeping hand... but, no exposed case back.

Another fun piece with titanium case, optional titanium bracelet, automatic chronograph movement with smaller smooth sweeping hand, protected with 100m Water Resistance sports specs... and exposed case back which you can see partial moving parts...

I'd prioritize what you're looking for--seems like it'll be hard to get all the features on your list at that price point--and get the best quality $1k watch I could get, that wouldn't feel like everybody and their brother was wearing it. Until a Zenith Grand Class Open El Primero makes sense for me to purchase, I'm satisfying myself with a sapphire case back on my autos. For my money, Lum-Tec makes a nice auto under $1k. Some have ETA, others Miyota movements with a smooth sweep. No titanium, but choices between brushed stainless or PVD, most come with multiple straps, and you can get a sapphire caseback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information