First automatic watch - Finally
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First automatic watch - Finally

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First automatic watch - Finally

I hope you are all enjoying a good evening and are in a very good mood to help a young man out.

So I have been lurking in this forum for 2 years, doing some ocasional reading and becoming a bigger and bigger watches fan. The reason I don't participate as much in conversations here as I would like, is jealousy. I used to have a really low budget being a student and all, but now that I have been working for a while, I have some financial conforte that allows me to by myself a gift.

I currenlty posess a (1)Tissot V8 on a steel bracelet http://timerecs.com/imgs/a/c/v/d/h/t..._box_2_lgw.jpg
    and my father's first automatic watch, a very old, gold made raymond weil.

That being said, I feel rather unconfortable wearing a gold watch to work as I am a young person (22). As such I have been sporting my Tissot.

I work in audit, and eventhough I do mostly technical chores, I regularly meet up with clients and clients representatives, meaning I must wear suit and tie everyday. On terms of watches, the person I report to wears a Longines Hydro Conquest, and my department responsible a JLC moon phase.

I have actully asked in this forum about watches etiquette and made that questions to my superiors ( the topic beeing: wearing steel bracelets and sports watches with a suit). They seem to agree it is aceptable if the watch is not too flashy, and that I should enjoy my watche's look, knowing ofcourse that a suit accompanied by a dressy watch would always look aesthetically more pleasant.

Now, I have lots of doubts. My current dream watch is a Speedy, but it is out of my budget. I would prefer buying a brand new watch, but I have noticed that due to financial stress I can find many good deals in watches here in portugal (or so I think).

So for a dressy watch I could get:

brand new at Joma Shop:

hamilton viewmatic (black) ~400
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/sites/d...?itok=21Sy0I_p

victorinox alliance black ~360
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...9L._UY550_.jpg

Used:
    Omega De Ville Automatic 1970s - 550

Omega De Ville automático Braga • OLX Portugal

for sporty watches I could go with one of this divers:

brand new:
    Steinhart Ocean One vintage ~380
    http://www.steinhartwatches.de/data/...ry_2015_02.jpg

Used

Longines Hydroconquest Automatic, with one year guarantee and all papers - 550

Relógio de pulso Longines Hydroconquest Braga (São José De São Lázaro E São João Do Souto) • OLX Portugal

So what to do? I usually prefer new watches but I have always wanted an Omega, just worried that being a vintage watch it may cost a lot to maintain. Also as I enjoy sporty watches, and my direct superior uses the black version of the same hydroconquest I saw selling for 550, I think buying it would not really hurt my image towards the company, and I really like its vibe. On the brand new side of the options, i really like the hamilton jazzmaster, just unsure of bang for your buck value.

What should I do, in terms of value/cost + future costs? How about which watch do you think I would still enjoy in a few years? (want it to be a keepsake of my first job) And lastly, what would you pick? If you have something on this values that you would also enjoy buying and wear daily, please share, want to make an informed purchase

Thank you if you read through this!

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Re: First automatic watch - Finally

Japanese out of the question?
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

- Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    - Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-7A2JF
    - Longines Flagship Chronograph
    - Omega Geneve
    - Seiko Premier SKP391P1
    - Tissot PR50 Automatic

Of the watches you presented, I think either the Hamilton or the Victorinox are your best bets. I like both watches and both brands in general (I own an automatic and a quartz Victorinox). I also think the white/cream dial Alliance is really sharp. Prominent WUS member blowfish89 has one for sale (I think). In addition to Hamilton and Victorinox, Seiko has a number of compelling automatics in this price range that are in that dressy/sport look you appear to be after.

Good luck with your purchase and congrats on it and the new job!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe would help if you shared how far you can stretch your budget.

Here are my two cents....
    1. Save your money for that Speedy Pro. It will take a long time to earn the money for the watch depending on how much you want to save each month for it but it will be worth it if you plan on keeping it your whole life.

2. I am in a similar position to you when it comes to your age but if you wear a suit and tie to work then you should be checking out as many dress watches as you can. In addition to the watches you have selected, it would be in your best interest to consider other brands such as Seiko, Christopher Ward, and Orient to add to the list of possible watches you would be interested.

3. In my opinion if I needed a dress watch of high quality for cheap it would have to be the Christopher Ward c5 slimline. It comes with sapphire crystal on the dial and caseback, a reliable swiss mechanical ETA movement, and at only $550 it is one hell of a deal. The only negatives to it would be the silly "Slimline" on the dial and the fact that you need to wind up the watch every morning since it is not an automatic. I would get it myself if I wore a suit everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by paulopiper View Post
    Japanese out of the question?
    Not at all as long as they automatic and do not offer too many complications =)

Quote Originally Posted by omeglycine View Post
    Of the watches you presented, I think either the Hamilton or the Victorinox are your best bets. I like both watches and both brands in general (I own an automatic and a quartz Victorinox). I also think the white/cream dial Alliance is really sharp. Prominent WUS member blowfish89 has one for sale (I think). In addition to Hamilton and Victorinox, Seiko has a number of compelling automatics in this price range that are in that dressy/sport look you appear to be after.

Good luck with your purchase and congrats on it and the new job!
    most seikos I have tried on end up looking rather bulky on my wrist (height more than width, is that problem just with me? =\ ).....I wish someone could tell me if the jazzmaster's movement is on par (in terms of tier, standart/elaborate to the longines model).....hmm, I should check the sales thread, thank you!

=\ I would really prefer a self-winding watch over a manual one. I would save up for the speedy, but with my current wage I would feel guilty for buying it instead of saving the money. It is not that I can not afford it, is more of a : seems over the top when compared to my current winnings and life style. Will save that grail for when I get some sweet promotion later in my carreer

I think waiting is less attractive here than normal; I get the sense that you feel a bit awkward in the appearance you present when it matters. I was looking for my first auto...altho for different reasons...and in pretty much the same price range. The Hamilton was a strong contender; I ended up buying a Victorinox (altho a field model, not a dress model) and I gotta say I liked quite a few of their offerings. I think either of these would be an excellent choice. Even if you continue to save, and get something more upscale, the Hamilton in particular can still serve as your everyday piece; the Omega or whatever can be the watch for more special occasions. Or if you get a nice promotion, the new one becomes the everyday and the Hamilton, the casual Friday watch. :)

Stowa Partitio
    Name:  221765d1300118086-schlichte-schwarze-dressswatch-gesucht-wer-hat-einen-guten-tip-fuer-mich-dsc_5.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  86.9 KB
    Seiko Cocktail Time
    Name:  sarb065_1_1.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  123.4 KB
    Luis_Leite likes this.
    If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.
    ― Seneca

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information