First Baby Watch!
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First Baby Watch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Baby Watch!

Hey All,

My wife and I are expecting our first child together coming next year. I have two step-sons but this is my first.

Naturally, I am looking to purchase a watch to commemorate the special occasion to purchase next year and wanted some advise and other ideas to consider.

I am not a dress watch guy, and have no reason to own one as it would not get worn. I work from home and generally dress pretty casual. Business meetings are usually nice jeans and a button up. Rarely in a suit except maybe 1-2 times/year.

Currently my two keeper watches are a Tudor Black Bay blue and Oris 65. a few others that will come and go. For the most part, I like dive watched and pilots watches the most but am open to any suggestion except dress watches.

Generally something in the 38-43MM range
    Auto or hand wind
    Date would be nice but not necessary
    New or pre owned

Here are the ones I am considering-
    Omega Seamaster SMPc (Owned before, loved it. Was my other option for wedding watch between omega and Tudor)
    Omega Speedmaster
    Tudor Black Bay GMT (though i already own a Black Bay)
    Grand Seiko (Never handled or owned one and not sure how much i like them)
    IWC Mark XVIII Blue (Owned standard black version before)
    Bell & Ross Bronze (Have owned more B&R than any other brand and love them. Though i know they're not the horological watch like the others)

Would love to hear some other options as well as your pick of my list. Looking probably around $2-3.5k though may go up to $5k depending what i can find.

Thanks all!!
    rbanks40 likes this.
    Current Collection-
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Oris 65 (42MM)
    Chr. Ward C60 Trident Pro 600 (Red)
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline

Re: First Baby Watch!

Congrats mate a whole lof of fun and sleepless nights await you.

From your list it'd be the Grand Seiko or the IWC

Have you considered a Rollie? OP 39 or datejust 41 would be nice. If I had another (which we have no intentions of) it'd be the watch id get.

All great choices though and you'll get a load more from everyone else here.

Happy hunting, let us know what you decide on in the end.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr Auto; November 5th, 2019 at 00:29.

Banned

My choice would be a grand seiko w/ engraving regarding the occasion.
    jmunsterman and Zhanming057 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! Need another watch to time the amount i don't sleep haha

To be honest, i am not much of a Rolex fan. i have owned half a dozen and they dont give me the same feel as some of the others. That being said, if i were to choose a Rolex, it would be BLNR, Pepsi or White dial Daytona ceramic. Maybe a normal Sub ceramic. All of which are double or more my price range.

I think i would have to handle some GS before i could take that plunge. I have always been partially bias towards them but as of recent have given them more thought.
    Current Collection-
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Oris 65 (42MM)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmunsterman View Post

To be honest, i am not much of a Rolex fan. i have owned half a dozen and they dont give me the same feel as some of the others. That being said, if i were to choose a Rolex, it would be BLNR, Pepsi or White dial Daytona ceramic. Maybe a normal Sub ceramic. All of which are double or more my price range.

I think i would have to handle some GS before i could take that plunge. I have always been partially bias towards them but as of recent have given them more thought.
    I had the pleasure of handling a few in Heathrow and at my BB.

GOOD LORD!!! Especially the snowflake!

I think there's a member on here selling his GS GMT quartz for a really great price. Check his post out in the for sale section.

Congratulations on the new chapter in your life. I wish you guys a lifetime of health, wealth, happiness, and success.

Try a Grand Seiko on before pulling the trigger on anything.

For me, the only "big" brand I would consider in your price range is Grand Seiko, maybe also JLC but even that is a bit more upmarket in terms of pricing. Coming from something like B&R (I've owned a couple) or Tudor the finishing difference is huge.
    Nokie likes this.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

Yes, i would have to see and handle some GS's. I am not sure i could go quartz though for that range.

Would love a JLC but not sure the options in my price range for the models i like enough to add to the list. Though, if i pushed it to $6k then a JLC would probably be it, i love the Polaris.
    Current Collection-
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Oris 65 (42MM)

Yes, i would have to see and handle some GS's. I am not sure i could go quartz though for that range.

Would love a JLC but not sure the options in my price range for the models i like enough to add to the list. Though, if i pushed it to $6k then a JLC would probably be it, i love the Polaris.
    The Polaris is very nice, if you said your budget went up to $6k I would have mentioned it. I guess you could always go used but I understand not wanting to for a baby watch.

Grand Seiko has lots of hi-beat automatics under $5,000. For one example, the SBGJ011 can often be found new for around the $5,000 mark.

Name:  SBGJ011.png
Views: 30
Size:  168.2 KB

Having said that, the really interesting face designs are usually on Spring Drive models and if I were buying a GS, I would not consider anything except Spring Drive. Seiko isn't going anywhere and I wouldn't really worry about long term servicing.
    Devon Tread 1E, Tread 2 BTO, Ressence Type 3, NORD Variocurve V4

Congratulations to you and your wife.
    I like the speedmaster or the IWC, to have something different to what you already have, but there is plenty to chose form out there.
    Maybe a Breitling Transocean or go German with a Sinn or GO.

Banned
    Baby watch deserves a huge congratulations. Cheers
    jmunsterman likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information