9 9.00%
  • Rolex Datejust II

55 55.00%
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: First "Big Boy" Watch Purchase

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

First "Big Boy" Watch Purchase

Hi Fellow Watchfanatics,

I am finally at that point in my life where I am able to purchase a watch of my dreams, per se. For the longest time I have been stuck on three watches that I always said would be the basis for my collection. There is no doubt that I'll buy all three of them...just would enjoy your thoughts on viewpoints on which way YOU would go if you were in my shoes.

I don't yet believe in 'occasion" watches or when/how I would wear them because I just want to break the ice and buy my first and get over that first horological hurdle in life. I would wear them while working (own a consulting business, only have to wear a suit once/twice a month, most days spent on the phone and seeing clients), spend a lot of time going out to eat and for drinks and in social settings and a lot of time playing hockey and working out.

The three I have in the que are:

Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 PAM00392
    Montblanc Timewalker Chronograph 9669
    Rolex Datejust II 41mm 116334

I'm familiar with their heritages, their in-house (or valjoux ETA movement in the Montblanc), etc. I do more research on a purchase that I usually know as much as or sometimes more than the person selling the product to me.

I know they are three very different watches, which is why I love them all but don't know which way to go. In my opinion, there's no wrong choice. They're all similar in price range, give or take a "few" dollars but the money is less important than my happiness.

I look forward to your thoughts!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First "Big Boy" Watch Purchase

Of those 3 I'd go for the PAM the mont Blanc doesn't do it for me, a friend has it in black and just wasn't for me, the Dj doesn't do it for me either, but have recently fallen in love with the GMT II (black ceramic bezel) I'm sure that's in the same price range as the PAM and think it's more versatile and overall a better watch.... But buy what you like :) good luck
    KiwiWomble likes this.

Try them all first,I like Panerai because I don't wear any long sleeves
    The mont blanc looks soo blanc
    The Rolex looks a bit too old dude for my taste

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If those 3 I'd go with the panerai, I owned a 312 and liked it but eventually realized it was too big for me, still a great watch. The montblanc is ugly (IMO) so would stay away from that one. The DJ2 is out of proportion, either go with a more classic version or stay away. I have a 40mm Milgauss and there is a surprising visual size difference in that extra 1mm, plus the crown is too small.

If you plan on keeping the watch to pass down I would not get a montblanc. If you plan on selling it later like most of us here, then I would not get a montblanc. I just would not get a montblanc and stick with the other two well known brands for reasons aforementioned.........minimize the monetary loss from the initial purchase. That's just me.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

The PAM appeals to me most out of these 3.

To me, one of the choices isn't really a choice at all: Montblanc make fantastic pens, but it's not a watch company. Just a branding exercise, so it's out.

The other two as so different as to make me wonder why would anyone consider them alternatives to one another. The Datedjust II is a timeless classic, but one that lives near the "dress watch" end of the spectrum, albeit Rolex's sporty interpretation of dressy.

The Panerai is also a classic design, but more of a "design" item than anything, and definitely sportier than dressier.

If you were to go with an "only" expensive watch, a Rolex Sub might have been a more versatile choice, but I guess that out of these three, I'd go Panerai, unless you are older and need something dressier, in which case the Rolex without hesitation.

I really like the Datejust II and this could quite possibly be my next watch also. However my choice would be the smooth bezel. I think I would get tired of the Pam, and as for the Montblanc, I just don't care for chronographs. Chronographs are useless complications IMO. The Datejust will never go out of style. It might be a little pedestrian, but that's what also makes it timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by HRC-E.B. View Post
    To me, one of the choices isn't really a choice at all: Montblanc make fantastic pens, but it's not a watch company. Just a branding exercise, so it's out.
    That's simply untrue.
    Montblanc TimeWalker TwinFly Chronograph Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch
    http://montblanc.watchprosite.com/sh.../ti-422001/t-/
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/mont-blanc-352741.html

Now, maybe this watch has a Valjoux movement (of course Panerai uses ETA movements sometimes, too), but Montblanc is a real up-and-comer in the watch world. Yes, you'll probably lose more depreciation on your purchase than the Rolex, but that's not the reason to choose one over the other.

I think the Montblanc is the best everyday watch to start with (but I'm biased against the Panerai) so that's what I voted for.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

haha people clearly didn't read the whole post - he's going to buy all of them, he's curious about which one should go first.

To my mind - the Rolex. Without a doubt. It is the definitive 'do it all' watch. Robust enough to take a dunking in a pool or a swim in the ocean or a hike up a mountain. But subtle and classy enough to strap on when you're headed out to the symphony or a nice dinner or a formal business meeting. It's versatile, and a classic for a reason. In other words, it's the perfect 'one-watch' which will do nicely until you can pick up the other two at some point in the future.

The other two watches are great as well. But the Timewalker is a chronograph - it's a bit more specialized, a bit less versatile. It's an 'occasion' watch, it's something you bring out once or twice a week to change things up. But the size of the face, the complexity of the dial, the presence of the pushers, all, to my mind, make it something that doesn't quite fit as smoothly into every faucet of your life.

Same thing with the PAM. Beautiful watch. But big. It lets you, and those around you, know it's there. That can be a lot of fun. But, day to day, as a watch that you'll be wearing until you get the next two... I think you'd find it a bit too much watch.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; October 16th, 2013 at 23:42.
    flyingpicasso likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information