• Stowa 1938

17 56.67%
  • Hamilton Pan Europe

13 43.33%
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Chronograph - Two Initial Choices at Approximately $2000

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Chronograph - Two Initial Choices at Approximately $2000

Okay my friends - I never saw the need for spending the extra money on a chronograph for functions I'd probably never use. However, two chronographs have recently captivated me to the point that one of them will become my post tax return purchase early next year. I still am not certain that I'll use the chrono function often, but I've already reconciled that.

The first is the Stowa 1938:Name:  Stowa_Chrono1938_softb.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  72.8 KB
    This the dress watch selection of my two choices. If my Flieger is any indication, the 1938 will be just as solidly built, and have the same qualities that drew me to Stowa in the First place. I am in love with the color combination - the bronze on black. I also love the open space for the date - the depth draws my gaze every time I look at the photos.
    The movement is a well decorated ETA Valjoux 7753: Name:  val.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  22.1 KB As you can see, there are Geneve Stripes on the rotor with perlage and blued screws on/in the movement. The case diameter is 41mm and it's nearly 15mm high. My one (and only) concern is that this is a dress piece - though I am not worried about the robust nature of the Stowa, my concern is that I will only wear it to work and for dress. I don't know that I'd be likely to wear it in casual situations, when I have other watches that will fit the bill.

The other watch I've found is the Hamilton Pan Europ: Name:  pan.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  97.2 KB Before I even continue, I would have to replace this strap. From the photos I've seen (regardless of history) it looks ridiculous to me, and does not appear to be of great quality (a concern that I would never have with the Stowa). I am in love with with the bezel, the blue color and the silver dials. Unlike some, I even love the shape of the case. However, like the Stowa, I am uncertain I could wear this in all situations - is it appropriate for the office? Can it be worn in a dress situation? Granted - aside from when I'm working, I am usually casual.

This watch has the ETA H31: Name:  h31.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  74.3 KB It's a pretty nice looking movement, though certainly not as decorated as the Stowa. However, I love the Hamilton "H" pattern decoration. The H31 (which is based on the 773) has 60 hours of power reserve, while the 7753 has a 42 hour reserve.

So, these are the two that are moving me right now. I'm interested in seeing which one is more popular. I'm also interested to see what other suggestions you have in the same price range - approximately $2000. I am only interested in stainless steel cases, and no black straps please.
    Last edited by myehiel; October 12th, 2013 at 04:38.
    Wrist: Swatch. Seiko. Casio G-Shock. Rolex. Ball. Stowa. Nomos Glashutte. Seiko. Junghans Max Bill. Bulova. Waltham. Stowa. Swatch. Stowa.
    Pocket: Waltham. Hamilton

Goals (not grails): Sinn 856. Stowa 1938 (handwinding). Longines Legend Diver. Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (slate).

Re: First Chronograph - Two Initial Choices at Approximately $2000

If anyone can tell me how to edit the poll so I can correct my typo, that would be great.
    Wrist: Swatch. Seiko. Casio G-Shock. Rolex. Ball. Stowa. Nomos Glashutte. Seiko. Junghans Max Bill. Bulova. Waltham. Stowa. Swatch. Stowa.
    Pocket: Waltham. Hamilton

Goals (not grails): Sinn 856. Stowa 1938 (handwinding). Longines Legend Diver. Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (slate).

The only things I like about the Pan Europ is the strap and the movement's PR. It's big, has a dive bezel (why?), and too flashy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I prefer the Pan Europe by far of your two choices... but as you said it's not versatile enough for ALL situations. That Stowa is just so boring to me... not nearly enough going on with that dial.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

They are both great watches. Personally, I prefer the Stowa because the Hamilton reminds me too much of my old 70s Russian Okean (not that there's anything wrong with the Okean!).
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; October 12th, 2013 at 05:58.

I think they are both great choices,but so dissimilar that I'm struggling to pick one over the other. The Stowa looks dressy with this strap, but Stowa also have a mesh bracelet version which I reckon would lift the sport quotient a notch. As would the brushed metal finish variant.
    The Hammy is resolutely sporty, but softened a little by the leather. Flip a coin?
    Last edited by Watchnik; October 12th, 2013 at 07:02.
    myehiel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_sturrock View Post
    They are both great watches. Personally, I prefer the Stowa because the Hamilton reminds me too much of my old 70s Russian Okean (not that there's anything wrong with the Okean!).
    Yes, I noticed that too. There is a strong resemblance there. I like the look of both of them...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I think your two choices are very enlightened choices. I think the Pan Europ has about the most wrist presence of any sporty chronograph out there, and that 60 hour power reserve is a nice plus at the relatively affordable price range.

That Stowa is just beautiful (as almost all Stowas are). Everything about it drips of class. The Stowa is the all around wear, the Pan Europ is one of the best sporty chronographs to own (I think it bests the Monaco for wrist presence). Tough call. If it were me, I'd probably go for the Pan Europ just because it is more unique, knowing that I will eventually own other chronographs that cover the versatile categories. But its a tough call in a vacuum...
    Last edited by mpalmer; October 12th, 2013 at 07:47.
    myehiel likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I used to have a Pan Europ and it is a hell of a watch. It has a unique look and an interesting movement that is a touch above that of the one in the Stowa.

The Stowa is very attractive and probably one of the best values in that price range.

I guess it comes down to what your needs are. You can often pick up Pan Europs in the $1-1.2k range, and wouldn't lose much flipping it if it wasn't for you.

All that said, I think that the Stowa looks bitchin' on mesh and strap alike and I would love to try one on. My only concern is the thickness, which wasn't a problem with the Hamilton as it is a more casual look.
    Current rotation:
    Panerai PAM111
    G-Shock Mudman
    Breitling Navitimer A23322
    Bremont Supermarine S300BLK
    Tudor Pelagos 25600TN Black

Incoming: NIL

Quote Originally Posted by myehiel View Post
    If anyone can tell me how to edit the poll so I can correct my typo, that would be great.
    Done

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information