First decent watch. Automatic vs radio controlled eco drive
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First decent watch. Automatic vs radio controlled eco drive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First decent watch. Automatic vs radio controlled eco drive

I'm about to buy my first decent watch. But I cannot decide between an Archimede pilot watch and the Citizen eco drive promaster sky (BY0085-53E).

Archimede:
    - I like the fact that it's automatic because i think the movement is amazing.
    - Maybe a problem if i don't wear it for longer periods from time to time (weeks?) because of my job?
    - I like the fact that with proper maintenance this watch wil in theory last forever.

Citizen:
    - Radio contolled, so never have to worry about it showing the right time.
    - a lot of cool futures (that you'll never use ;) )

At the moment I have a cheap automatic watch that doesn't keep time at all,. And it annoys the .... out of me. But I've heard that a good one keeps good time.
    How often do you have to reset an automatic watch? once a month?
    How bad do I have to worry about shocks and automatic watches? can I skydive with them?

Which one would you buy and why?

Hopefully someone can give me some insight in this and help me decide.

Re: First decent watch. Automatic vs radio controlled eco drive

Welcome!

Right. The archimede uses an eta 2824 movement [edit actually depends which one you're looking at but the below broadly applies to automatic mechanical movements, specs give or take] - not sure which grade (probably standard as its not specified otherwise) which has specified daily accuracy of +/- 12 seconds a day. But one day it might be 12s + and the next 12s - so after 2 days it's bang on. Or just 12 seconds fast every day so 1 minute out a week. Or it might run perfectly - pot luck. If this isn't good enough its possible to get a watchmaker to regulate it and attempt to improve on this, for maybe £40. The very best mechanicals are chronometer-certified and are spec'd to about 5spd, fyi.

It has a power reserve of about 38 hours so when fully wound (after a day of reasonable activity) it will go that long sitting on a desk until it stops. Stopping is just fine, but you'll need to reset the time when you pick it up again, which takes 30 seconds. Doesn't bother lots of us.

[Edit: unless you're looking at the handwind with the 6498 movement in; this isn't auto and must be wound every 2 days or so]

Shocks are fine - it can take them. Our grandfathers wore mechanical watches in the war before they even had shock protection. No problem skydiving, unless it falls off your wrist at 15k, in which case it will probably need a polish

I'd buy the mechanical but that's because I prefer them to quartz and don't care about accuracy. But the quartz is technically superior in pretty much every way, except perhaps that it may not last 200 years with regular servicing like the archimede will.
    Last edited by geoffbot; May 17th, 2014 at 10:47.

If you want accuracy capable of timing the eclipses of Jupiter's moons, go with the Citizen eco-drive by all means. Otherwise, the Archimedes will be accurate enough for regular use. If you don't wear it for protracted periods of time, and it stays in the drawer for several days or several weeks, wind it up before you wear it. 10 times should do it so it has a bit of a power reserve before you put it on your wrist. then as you wear it, it will gradually wind itself up.

As for it theoretically lasting forever if it has proper maintenance, it's something like all the 1950s and 1960s American cars still on the road in Cuba. Yes, it will last, but it's a machine, so no, it won't last until the furthest generations of mankind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both quartz and mechanical have their place. I like to have both TBH.

If you get a watch with the 2824 movement just take it gentle with the winding. It doesn't need much, if any, but it is the movement's Achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    Both quartz and mechanical have their place. I like to have both TBH.

If you get a watch with the 2824 movement just take it gentle with the winding. It doesn't need much, if any, but it is the movement's Achilles heel.
    I've just discovered that. I've got one that needs to go to a watchmaker to fix the winding gear. Dammit!!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I've just discovered that. I've got one that needs to go to a watchmaker to fix the winding gear. Dammit!!
    Really? That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Really? That sucks.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Really? That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Indeed.
    Rather....

I think you've summarised the pros and cons of each watch quite neatly. If one calls to you more than the other that is the one you should go for IMO.

Thanks for all the reply's.
    Last week a stumble upon the orient pilot's watch.. This one:
    FER2A004D0 FER2A004D ER2A004D | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA
    apart from the saphire vs mineral glass and looks why would i choose the archimede over this one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information